How to fix "Mod Deployment"?

Swordbreaker925

I just installed Vortex and everything seems great, but i'm having an issue with the software telling me that mods cannot be deployed. This occurs on every game that i try to manage.

Issue is that it just doesn't have any of the paths set up. I'm familiar with the idea and how to set up the paths, and i believe i understand the basic concept of this new "deploying" system, i just have no idea where i'm supposed to set the path to.

In the interest of making this easy, what should be the path for Fallout 4?

Also of note: I installed the software manually because i use an SSD for my operating system and an HDD for my storage, so i manually installed Vortex on my HDD. All of my games are also on my HDD, but Vortex is defaulting to a path on the C: drive, when it should be looking in the D: drive.

First, you should have installed Vortex in C:\Program Files. It's a rather small tool and it belongs there, like every other program. Only really big installations, like games, should go on the HDD in your case.

You know where to set up the paths? In "Settings"->"Mods". This screenshot shows my setup for FO4. Yours might differ of course:

Note that you DON'T have to set the path where the actual game is installed to (Vortex will find that by itself).

So if your game is installed on D: and assumed that you have a directory called D:\Games where all your games are installed to, I'd recommend creating a directory called "D:\Games\Vortex" for all mod data managed by Vortex (note that this is NOT the installation path of Vortex, that should still be C:\Program Files!).

In that case the "Base Path" for FO4 would be

D:\Games\Vortex\Fallout4

and you could leave both the Download Path and the Install Path at their defaults, i.e.

{base}\downloads

and

{base}\mods

The {base} part is referring to the base directory you set above, i.e. in that case your mod archives you download would be stored in D:\Games\Vortex\Fallout4\downloads and the Mod installations (i.e. the unpacked and correctly configured mods) would go to D:\Games\Vortex\Fallout4\mods.

In my case, I chose to store the archives on a different disk (E:\Games\Vortex\Fallout4\downloads in my case), because on my system D: is a 1TB SSD and E: is a huge HDD. That's fine. But the most important thing is that the Install Path *must absolutely* be on the same drive as the game installation.

Hope that helps.

Th

First, you should have installed Vortex in C:\Program Files. It's a rather small tool and it belongs there, like every other program. Only really big installations, like games, should go on the HDD in your case.

You know where to set up the paths? In "Settings"->"Mods". This screenshot shows my setup for FO4. Yours might differ of course:

attachicon.gifImage 1.jpg

Note that you DON'T have to set the path where the actual game is installed to (Vortex will find that by itself).

So if your game is installed on D: and assumed that you have a directory called D:\Games where all your games are installed to, I'd recommend creating a directory called "D:\Games\Vortex" for all mod data managed by Vortex (note that this is NOT the installation path of Vortex, that should still be C:\Program Files!).

In that case the "Base Path" for FO4 would be

D:\Games\Vortex\Fallout4

and you could leave both the Download Path and the Install Path at their defaults, i.e.

{base}\downloads

and

{base}\mods

The {base} part is referring to the base directory you set above, i.e. in that case your mod archives you download would be stored in D:\Games\Vortex\Fallout4\downloads and the Mod installations (i.e. the unpacked and correctly configured mods) would go to D:\Games\Vortex\Fallout4\mods.

In my case, I chose to store the archives on a different disk (E:\Games\Vortex\Fallout4\downloads in my case), because on my system D: is a 1TB SSD and E: is a huge HDD. That's fine. But the most important thing is that the Install Path *must absolutely* be on the same drive as the game installation.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the help. Issue is my C: drive is basically full. I dont have room for anything else on there until i buy a new SSD.

Well, ok, but even if Vortex is installed on D:\ (how did you do that? Did you use the special installer?) it should work. Just make sure that you DON'T use the path where you've installed Vortex for anything else, including the mods, because the contents of this directory will be deleted after each update of Vortex itself!

• 6 months later...