Does school kill creativity?

Keanumoreira

My fault then, sorry. No harm done :biggrin:

Naomis,

What I don't understand is why do intolerant people teach others to think the same way?

My closest friend IRL is atheist and doesn't partake in religious education so he goes to ethics or ethical education if you call it like that over there. The professor over there is disgusted by same-sex relationships and she's basically teaching them to do the same. Of course, then my friend is making up gay jokes to make fun of them/us. Besides the fact that it hurts to hear that, he's also spreading it and making other people make fun of us as well.

Firstly I don't understand why he (and everybody else) believes these stereotypical stories. They literally believe that we're rapists, feminine and that we're sick in the head. At least they could tell the truth and then let people decide if you like me or not, not tell them absolute lies that people like that are 'fags and queers' and that I want to rape every male I see.

Secondly, why is the principal allowing that? Why is anyone allowing this? I don't know if I am just much more mature than everybody else or everybody else is just selfish and egoistic.

This country is confusing. It's conservative and selfish like nothing I have ever seen.

I am not worried about me, I know how to handle myself. I'm worried about others, I don't want anyone to get hurt just because they are different.

Well, thing is, if people ask me if I support the gay rights movement, I say no. Like some instant reaction, they think I'm a horrible person in that I'm against the gay rights movement. But then again, I say no, I'm not against the gay rights movement. I myself am not gay, so I don't deem myself worthy, or empathetic enough, to swing either way. However, if you try to coerce me in one way, I'll provide counter-points to remain neutral.

To be fair, your professor is (most likely) exaggerating. It's a bit strange, and not at all professional, but unless he's dead serious about his cause, it's just the little bit of sin everyone indulges in a while, but no-one actually admits to. You can't, however, just say that you're more mature than everyone around you (unless you're obviously surrounded by idiots). You just have empathy because of your current state, and thus could sympathise better. They are ignorant, but not hateful.

Edited by dazzerfong

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ethics  

( usually used with a singular verb ) that branch of philosophy dealing with values relating to human conduct, with respect to the rightness and wrongness of certain actions and to the goodness and badness of the motives and ends of such actions.

As one of the definitions of ethics it is a sad fact that if the tutor believe that same sex relationships and inter-racial relationships are wrong then that is what they will teach. They will not look at it holistically and from a wider point of view whereby the majority of people accept these relationships and even approve of the right for an individual to be happy.

This is a sad state of affairs indeed. I would like to think that if that type of teaching was being done here, then the teacher would be sacked for discrimination, maybe even arrested.

This is definitely a case of "one man's meat being another man's poison", and just because one person disapproves doesn't mean that they have the right to push their beliefs down the throats of innocents. Good grief even the Catholic Church is rethinking its policy on same sex relationships, something I never thought I'd see in my lifetime. The Church of England had a rethink on its policy at a synod a number of years ago in which it was up to the individual priest to decide whether to conduct same sex marriages. There are very few who wont admittedly.

It does seem that the Eastern block countries still have a long way to go before reaching enlightenment. We in the West are not totally righteous I admit as there are areas both here in the UK and US that still discriminate a sad fact, but hopefully one that will cease to be before the end of the next century.

Well, thing is, if people ask me if I support the gay rights movement, I say no. Like some instant reaction, they think I'm a horrible person in that I'm against the gay rights movement. But then again, I say no, I'm not against the gay rights movement. I myself am not gay, so I don't deem myself worthy, or empathetic enough, to swing either way. However, if you try to coerce me in one way, I'll provide counter-points to remain neutral.

To be fair, your professor is (most likely) exaggerating. It's a bit strange, and not at all professional, but unless he's dead serious about his cause, it's just the little bit of sin everyone indulges in a while, but no-one actually admits to. You can't, however, just say that you're more mature than everyone around you (unless you're obviously surrounded by idiots). You just have empathy because of your current state, and thus could sympathise better. They are ignorant, but not hateful.

That's another thing I don't like. If you don't want to support any kind of movement, then you don't have to. I don't get it why people think that you have to support any kind of movement. Good grief it's your decision and others shouldn't treat it like dirt. I fully support your not supportiveness. I mean this is what everything is about, tolerating other people and their opinions. I'm not going to go wave a rainbow flag and parade about it. I find that a bit extreme and too 'in your face'.

You know, I may sound egoistic but I think I am more mature. Maybe not, I don't truly know, but at least that's how I see it. I don't go out and get drunk because I don't see the point of pouring liquids in your body that harm your liver and make you loose control over yourself. I am the only one in class that doesn't smoke, the only one that actually has meaningful conversations and one who uses logic and common sense to determine whether one is right or not. I'm not making jokes that would harm people, never harmed anyone in my entire life.

I think it's just my nature. Doesn't necessarily have to mean I'm more mature. (That rhymes :teehee: )

But the situation over here is worse than you think. Maybe this will tell you a bit more:

~150 people were in the parade while 10,000 homophobes were throwing stones, fireworks, yelling, cursing and using violence. Even a reporter from the news got hit by a stone in his head and had to go to the hospital. A lady from Germany said that the parade in Salzburg was all fun and happiness and that she's shocked that she saw this.

I am ashamed of my country because of things like that.

Please note, I'm not trying to make you care or support it. Just want to let you know that it is pretty bad over here and that people aren't just ignorant but hateful as well.

Why all the hate, I do not know and I will never know. Nothing wrong was done, yet hate was still there.

Sorry for going a bit too far off topic, but I think this also has to do with education and how people are taught. People are not born with discrimination, they learn it.

That is most definitely the case, and something I have said for many years, discrimination is taught, it is not born with, children are innocent until they begin to learn by watching those around them, parents, brothers, sisters, friends etc. Then they go to school and learn even more.

No child is born evil, they are denied proper emotional development, love, nurturing and become evil, without proper education they then become discriminatory. A sad fact but one which is becoming all the more prevalent in today's society. Where there is a lack of parental supervision and the TV or video game takes their place, they learn about violence, discrimination, and other things that hold no emotion. Because others play or watch it is deemed to be ok, whether or not it actually is because said child is below the age by which they should be able to watch or play said items.

My own children play games that are older than they are, they also watch films and programs that are older too but they have the social development and have been shown love and nurturing and thereby understand that the things they are watching are "not real" or are "pretend" and to hurt someone gratuitously is "wrong". Again it all leads to "Education".

@ lv000:

Well, it's not egotistical to see yourself as mature: I, for one, hate the propect of being seen as mature. Why be so mature when committing vice is so much more fun! :)

Anyway, back to what you're trying to say, I'm not particularly supportive of the movement, but nor do I condone random acts of violence. It's the same as people arguing: I could care less if you argue, until you throw fists. Then it becomes everyone's problem. If you're asking, 'why all the hate?' Simple: upbringing. When everyone around you was like that when you grew up, you have a natural tendency to stay that way.

If what you're describing is true, I think you're in the complete wrong place for you. There has to be someone who knows how to draw the line..........But there's one thing. Not smoking is not an indication of maturity. Nor is having meaningful conversations. Maturity, in its simplest sense, is essentially understanding. It's not what you do that makes you mature, it's what you think. I've seen some very logical and intelligent people have arguments over the most pathetic of matters: does that make them mature? Not really.

Of course, so far, you're coming across as mature, as is everyone here. Of course, we don't know what you do away from the keyboard. :) (jks)

@ naomis8329:

That theory of 'tabula rasa' is still debatable, because it involves humans. And humans, for one, are completely unique in all aspects. Some people can handle 'mature' education better than others: it's just how you're born. Of course, external factors should be considered, but ultimately, it's the way you're born.

It's funny: back in my pre-teens, my father allowed me to play Call of Duty, but not GTA or anything related to it. Why? Whereas one was a valuable history lesson (in my opinion: I can't believe how much I've actually learnt from CoD), the other one is an exploitation of society.

Aye,

I've also played games like GTA 3 when I was young (I was 5 or so I think), Prince of Persia not too far from that. People blame video games for the violence in children, well I turned out fine and played the most violent, brutal and bloody games out there. It's parenting mostly and education who make children violent. I haven't been exactly bathed in love, but that's not really the point I think. I think it depends on the child and how well it can understand things, on the parents and how they treat the child, and the environment as well. If the child has a very good understanding and logic, it can by itself develop understanding and tolerance. If not, then the parents have to teach it that. The environment also plays a role, but it depends. My environment is intolerant and conservative, yet I don't listen to it. Others might do that.

It really depends and I'm not sure how I gained understanding and tolerance myself. I wasn't truly taught to tolerate, but my parents did point that way while they raised me. My environment should have made me the opposite to what I am, but it didn't. Education, well, I don't have to comment on that more.

Maybe it's just in my genes to be like that, I don't know how else to describe it. Even as a child I never wanted to do anything bad, now it didn't change much. Went a bit to the extreme actually, I'm a bit too altruistic. But I guess someone has to be :biggrin:

@dazz

I may be using the word 'mature' too loosely. Or maybe I didn't read the dictionary well enough to understand it's meaning :teehee:

I don't mean 'mature' as in serious, but more like, more intelligent, understanding, logical. I hate to describe someone as more intelligent actually, especially if I say that for myself. But I don't know what word to use besides that.

I have my extremes. Sometimes I'm absolutely shy and calm, other times I'm hyper and happy. But I behave IRL like I behave behind the keyboard as well.

Well, maybe I don't talk that much. :biggrin:

Edited by Iv000

I only let my kids play GTA once and took it away. To me it gratuitous violence, running people down in cars and shooting them.

At least with CoD its about war, survival (although were the Zombies come into it is anyone's guess :biggrin: ). It may, and I mean that loosely, teach tactics and strategy but I don't play it so I can't say for certain one way or another.

GTA is mostly about fun. Don't tell me that running over people isn't fun? :D /jks

COD and FPS games will increase someone's hand-eye coordination, improve fast thinking and reflexes (somewhat). Unless you're going to be a hunter IRL or a pro gamer, that won't help much sadly.

GTAs are...interesting. An average mission involves something like collecting some debts for a crime lord, kill some cops, steal a car, cause untold mayhem, then getting a BJ off a hooker, who you may or may not shoot and take your money back from. CoD is rather bland in comparison and only does one thing well, run around quick scoping people to get a kill streak.