Does school kill creativity?

Keanumoreira

You only get a reprimand? That is serious repercussions? :confused:

Killing indiscriminately in GTA will likely get you killed by half a dozen swat team black helicopters. If you want to progress the missions in GTA rampaging isn't wise.

I don't suppose you know what a reprimand is, if you're saying it like that.....

Most people I know play GTA for the sake of killing civilians, cops, soldiers, etc. They are entertained at the thought of bloodless slaughter.

In CoD, you get a 'Friendly fire would not be tolerated!' (or if you play as the Russian, 'You are a traitor to the Motherland!') if you kill more than one teammate in quick succession. I think that eliminates the point of casual slaughter......

So they get annoyed at you and voice disapproval? Sorry, still not seeing any severe repercussions anywhere.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went a tad too much off topic didn't you?

Look, it doesn't matter what game is more bloody and mindless or which one is more tactical and anti-mindless. It's a video game, not a tutorial on how to live life. Let people play what they want to play, if underage then with supervision. Mindless game slaughter won't teach me to do that in real life too, just as playing a NASA simulator won't make me want to be a scientist or astronaut.

Now please, I'd like that this discussion stays on topic of something that is worth discussing. I'm not trying to take control of the thread, but discussing video games won't really bring us anywhere.

To be honest, ending one's life is a bit easier than becoming a scientist, if you have the will. :)

But I agree: back to topic. I don't think I could add any more to the topic, really. We've discussed conformism, then the expected attitudes among students: what more is there, really?

Oh dear I think this is my fault.

The point I was trying to make is that if we turn over parental and educational authority to Television and Video Games, we WILL end up with the next generations having no concept of right or wrong, good or bad. They WILL believe that violence solves everything and that there will be no repercussions for said violence.

Violence be gets violence and I'm sure most of you have heard the saying "Live by the sword, die by the sword". This means (in a nutshell) you dole out violence and vengeance it will come back at you in spades.

Remember we need to teach our children values, the meaning of right and wrong, good ethical and moral standing, the reasons why any form of discrimination and bullying are wrong. As care givers it is our duty to do so.

Oh dear I think this is my fault.

The point I was trying to make is that if we turn over parental and educational authority to Television and Video Games, we WILL end up with the next generations having no concept of right or wrong, good or bad. They WILL believe that violence solves everything and that there will be no repercussions for said violence.

Violence be gets violence and I'm sure most of you have heard the saying "Live by the sword, die by the sword". This means (in a nutshell) you dole out violence and vengeance it will come back at you in spades.

Remember we need to teach our children values, the meaning of right and wrong, good ethical and moral standing, the reasons why any form of discrimination and bullying are wrong. As care givers it is our duty to do so.

Well, I'm pretty sure the influence of teachers and parents, not to mention society, is greater than video games. Don't you agree?

I truly hope so, although I have my doubts.

There is not a day that goes by were we don't hear about how the family unit is beginning to break down, even for those with two parents. As children get older the demand for both parents to work in order to make ends meet, grows stronger, thereby leaving children to their own devices. Parents are tired by the time they get home, cooking, cleaning and having to accomplish other mundane household chores means that quality time spent with children is limited, or downright zero. At most children of these households can look forward to a 2 week summer vacation and maybe a week during the Christmas period at worst maybe a weekend here or there. For some not even that.

Then we have schools being hog tied on discipline and the lack thereof. To touch a child is tantamount to assault, to shout = verbal abuse. We are doing ourselves as well as our children an injustice. They are not being taught right from wrong in the very establishments created to assist parents in its reinforcement. The majority of schools in the UK have reintroduced school uniforms to bring about conformity and the lessening of more v less and helping to reduce the burden of those parents that can't afford the latest fashions for their off-spring. More are becoming academies in the hope of introducing a regimented discipline system whilst encouraging each child to bloom in their own way.

It is truly a tightrope that society as a whole walks, creativity and individuality versus discipline and conformity to rules and regulations. A fine balance which some find it difficult to maintain.

I'd like to get a bit back to the topic of parents and understanding.

When parents don't teach children to be nice and tolerant, that's one thing. But when they threaten to throw their child out when he is 18 and not care about him then just because he's different, that's sick.

My best friend from the US is in this situation right now. I am not able to go into details, since it has some private information that I will not share with the public. The situation is like this, someone found out something and if that someone tells his parents, who are extremely conservative and intolerant, then my best friend might be in for some major trouble. He is truly an angel in personality, doesn't hate and tries to love everyone, helps other people and is generally a kind soul. I don't know where I would be right now without him, he helped me through most difficult times and I love him because of that. Hating on him just because he's different would go against any kind of humanity and morality in this world.

But what is there to do? I live 7000 kilometers away from him. If something happens, I don't know what I would do. I am always here for him to comfort him and love him, but I'm not sure if there's much more I can do if things get serious.

Sadly I can't do much besides hope for the best. If I had the time and money, I would certainly go fly over to the US to visit him. I hope to find a way to get money so I can move away from here and move to the US to him or near him, but I'm still only in High School and not even sure what I'm good at. ADD, Aspergers are not giving me an easy time either. Honestly, he is the biggest motivation I have right now, I want to make sure that he'll live a happy life and I want to help with that. I'll be happy if he is happy. I don't need money or popularity or anything else, I just want that my best friend will be happy.

What is people's problem? Why do they have to make other people so miserable? This is like kicking a puppy just for the sake of kicking him. :sad:

You only get a reprimand? That is serious repercussions? :confused:

Killing indiscriminately in GTA will likely get you killed by half a dozen swat team black helicopters. If you want to progress the missions in GTA rampaging isn't wise.

I don't suppose you know what a reprimand is, if you're saying it like that.....

Most people I know play GTA for the sake of killing civilians, cops, soldiers, etc. They are entertained at the thought of bloodless slaughter.

In CoD, you get a 'Friendly fire would not be tolerated!' (or if you play as the Russian, 'You are a traitor to the Motherland!') if you kill more than one teammate in quick succession. I think that eliminates the point of casual slaughter......

So they get annoyed at you and voice disapproval? Sorry, still not seeing any severe repercussions anywhere.

Excuse me, but take your fighting somewhere else. This isn't about Call of Duty or mudslinging. Please take it out of the tread.

When parents don't teach children to be nice and tolerant, that's one thing. But when they threaten to throw their child out when he is 18 and not care about him then just because he's different, that's sick.

My best friend from the US is in this situation right now. I am not able to go into details, since it has some private information that I will not share with the public. The situation is like this, someone found out something and if that someone tells his parents, who are extremely conservative and intolerant, then my best friend might be in for some major trouble. He is truly an angel in personality, doesn't hate and tries to love everyone, helps other people and is generally a kind soul. I don't know where I would be right now without him, he helped me through most difficult times and I love him because of that. Hating on him just because he's different would go against any kind of humanity and morality in this world.

But what is there to do? I live 7000 kilometers away from him. If something happens, I don't know what I would do. I am always here for him to comfort him and love him, but I'm not sure if there's much more I can do if things get serious.

Sadly I can't do much besides hope for the best. If I had the time and money, I would certainly go fly over to the US to visit him. I hope to find a way to get money so I can move away from here and move to the US to him or near him, but I'm still only in High School and not even sure what I'm good at. ADD, Aspergers are not giving me an easy time either. Honestly, he is the biggest motivation I have right now, I want to make sure that he'll live a happy life and I want to help with that. I'll be happy if he is happy. I don't need money or popularity or anything else, I just want that my best friend will be happy.

What is people's problem? Why do they have to make other people so miserable? This is like kicking a puppy just for the sake of kicking him. :sad:

When they threaten to throw him out, it reaches a wrongness that is nearly unfathomable. How can anyone turn their back on their children is beyond me, even if they are different. I faced a situation with my own father (not for the same reasons as your friend) that resulted in a feud and now...I don't talk to him, I don't hear from him. It's hard to deal with, especially being raised to know family is everything. It will be tough, but your friend will survive, and most likely become a better person because of it. (I hope).

When they threaten to throw him out, it reaches a wrongness that is nearly unfathomable. How can anyone turn their back on their children is beyond me, even if they are different. I faced a situation with my own father (not for the same reasons as your friend) that resulted in a feud and now...I don't talk to him, I don't hear from him. It's hard to deal with, especially being raised to know family is everything. It will be tough, but your friend will survive, and most likely become a better person because of it. (I hope).

I didn't speak to my family for over a year as my parents believed I had married beneath me. After the birth of our 1st born they came to see me in the hospital and all was well for quite some time. They now live in the US and I live in the UK, I wont go into details but we rarely speak again now even though I miss them like crazy. I can't help feeling abandoned as they have done so much for my sisters, but nothing for me and their grandchildren (their only grandchildren I hasten to add).

Their choice, most definitely but still very hurtful.

Family should be the first thing we think of when we wake and the last thing before sleep. I feel for those who don't put their family first as they miss out so much on life and the joys a family, large or small, can bring.

:D

Agreed. Things will be hard at first but he will survive. A friend of mine got kicked out once and my family let him stay with us for a few days until he got a job and a good start. Now he is in the military, lives in Germany, and is doing well for himself.

Now to attempt to bring this back on-topic:

Personally, I feel that U.S. schools do kill creativity in a way. They are usually the first classes to go, which is not the best idea as classes that emphasize creativity, such as the performing arts, have been proven to increase test scores (nammfoundation.org). How many people would say that playing an instrument or painting a picture is a "real job?" Instead, students are taught to memorize facts (saadus mentioned this on the first page of this thread. Plus, I had to pass Biology and History classes somehow) and how to write good essays. At one point in high school, I had 2-4 essays a week.

We also have to consider how schools are taught. When was the last time that the U.S. educational system was revamped to suit the times? In the 1930s, back during the Great Depression when everyone had to learn how to work in a factory, which is why schools today utilize the bell system to change classes and students are taught to do what they are told to do (Godin).

Through my own experiences, there is a lack of motivation among students. Few seem to actually care about their grades; I've had friends who competed with getting the lowest scores (and still passed. Keep in mind this is also somebody who failed a "computer knowledge" test that the most complex thing to do was put a strike-through in text on Microsoft Word), while another was probably one of the most intelligent people I know, the only problem being that he just got bored and didn't care. Funding is a real issue, as well as how those funds are spent. The last time my high school received funding they spent it on tiny laptops that could barely function with all of the school blocks programs on it (seriously; the touch-pad would stop working and I would have to restart the laptop) and iPADS. How does one teach children with iPads? No educational software installed on it, not allowed to use them to download a .pdf file on them, etc. Textbooks would have been a better choice. Finland managed to fix this type of problem by bringing equity to their school system (Partanen).

Unlike many other countries, Finland's school system emphasizes on creativity with "school hours cut in half, little homework, no standardized tests, 50-minute recess and free lunch" (Tung).

Students in Finland take one test out of their entire school "careers." The results? They have some of the highest scores on the PISA survey (Tung).

To prove my point about the focus on writing essays, I have cited everything in MLA format as best as I can remember. And no, I'm not in high school anymore. I graduated.

Edit: I apologize for any errors. It is 4 a.m. and my post came out weird. Thankfully I made a back-up for such a large post. Also the board won't show where I indented in my sources below. Use your imagination. http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/tongue.gif

"Child Labor in U.S. History." - The Child Labor Education Project. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 Aug. 2012. <http://www.continuetolearn.uiowa.edu/laborctr/child_labor/about/us_history.html>.

Godin, Seth. "Seth's Blog." : Back to (the Wrong) School. N.p., 05 Sept. 2011. Web. 23 Aug. 2012. <http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2011/09/back-to-the-wrong-school.html>.

Keanumoreira. "The Nexus Forums: Does School Kill Creativity? - The Nexus Forums." Thesis. Ed. Saadus. N.d. Does School Kill Creativity? IP.Board, 23 May 2012. Web. 23 Aug. 2012. <http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/682312-does-school-kill-creativity/>.

Partanen, Anu. "What Americans Keep Ignoring About Finland's School Success." The Atlantic. N.p., 29 Dec. 2011. Web. 23 Aug. 2012. <http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2011/12/what-americans-keep-ignoring-about-finlands-school-success/250564/>.

"Research Briefs: Did You Know?" The NAMM Foundation |. The NAMM Foundation, n.d. Web. 23 Aug. 2012. <http://www.nammfoundation.org/research/research-briefs-did-you-know>.

Theschoolprincipal. "The Good News about PISA Scores †and Now We Know What the REAL Problem Is!" The Good News about PISA Scores †and Now We Know What the REAL Problem Is! N.p., 10 Jan. 2011. Web. 23 Aug. 2012. <http://www.inthetrencheswithschoolreform.com/the-good-news-about-pisa-scores-and-now-we-know-what-the-real-problem-is/>.

Tung, Stephen. "How the Finnish School System Outshines U.S. Education." Stanford University. N.p., 20 Jan. 2012. Web. 23 Aug. 2012. <http://news.stanford.edu/news/2012/january/finnish-schools-reform-012012.html>.

Edited by ddmlink