An independent New Vegas mod.

devinpatterson

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the idea of also having House as a robobrain but the only problem with this method is when the player kills House by setting up an electric surge to his chamber his brain would be destroyed along with some other organs.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. I'v heard tale of a lone courier shot in the head at close range & buried alive, who not only survived, but changed teh very essence of the Mojove :wink:

I would probably leave the think tank body for Big MT as it was proably developed there originally.

Yeah, definitely a bigMT tech, and after the war, so except for a very rare cases (Elijah, Christine, Ulysses) I think that tech is locked up tight. But brain bot tech, even though it's not lore, I bet House could gain via corp espionage, bribes etc.

" Jane's neuro-computational matrix is a copy of a woman that Mr. House had known as "one of Mr. House's girls". " ....With thisII you can have a new character in the form of a securitron with a female face and a digital copy of the mentioned starlet's brain. Imagine some kind of diva trapped in a securitron body in the wasteland.

It's interesting you should mention this Isabelle and I were working on a Marilyn Securitron with the exact same idea. I figured we were re-writing lore, so it's good to know we weren't far off. Here is a youtube vid of her;

Isabelle did all of her dialog, pretty amazing voice right? Her thread; http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/798978-marilyn-the-securitron/?hl=%20marilyn

It also reinforces the idea of a digital clone, so thanks for the info much appreciated :thumbsup:

What do you guys think of expanding companion quests. An example would be Skyvipers thread on Veronica as the BOS elder here;http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/988493-help-veronica-be-elder-quest-mod/&do=findComment&comment=8003528 But could potentially be quests for a lot of companions.

Expand Case's caravan, a more permanent cute for Lily, a place for Boone to actually settle down (maybe even find love again) etc.

I felt the companions left a hole where something should have of been, it'll be great to give them even ministrial roles in the Independant Vegas, we can also make use of Yes Mans alternative unused faces.

Perhaps the player is injured, and 10 securitrons are about to finish him off, and then Yes Man hacks them all, Yes Man is the unwilling villian, he switches his personality at times when Mr. Houses database are down or so.

I seem to be in two minds regarding the vanilla companions. While I think that they and their endings should probably be left alone I seem to think some of their endings seem somewhat bittersweet particularly Veronica's. It would be difficult to get some additional voiced dialogue unless something can be put together from existing audio files. I wouldn't mind some expansions to the vanilla companions if it ties in with their endings. The only vanilla companion that I normally use is ED-E, the rest are from companion mods such as Willow, Niner, Wendy Gilbert and the ARES Project. I'll go through each vanilla companion and see what I can come up with.

Arcade - As a member of the Follower of the Apocalypse and the one companion to urge the player to go through the independent path I can see him staying behind to help the Courier out with things. However after completing his quest I normally tell to help out in Freeside when the second battle for Hoover Dam starts. Afterwards I am unable to get him to follow me as a companion again. I think there might be a mod on the Nexus which solves this particular problem. I know that his ending states that an Independent Vegas is not what he thought it would be originally which sounds like taking control of Vegas is going to a monumental task for the Courier as expected. I would like to keep Arcade around as a representative for the Followers of the Apocalypse.

Boone - His endings for No Gods, No Masters is dependent on his own quest. He either becomes an assassin and mercenary or stays in Vegas as a caravan guard. Maybe the better ending can be tied in with Cass's ending. In fact I would not mind seeing Cass and Boone end up as a couple. If he becomes an cold hearted assassin I can imagine that the Courier would have to deal with him at some point.

Cass - Her ending for No Gods, No Masters doesn't go into any great detail so I guess we can maybe come up with something for her. I would like to see the Courier help her set up a new caravan. If you are familiar with the Amy Wong companion mod from Fallout 3 you could have something similar with Cass. You can ask her to go out trading, give her whatever items you've gathered to sell and ask her to purchase some requested items. I'm not sure how things would go between the Courier and Cass if the Courier is brought into conflict with the NCR but I'm sure that she would see the NCR losing Hoover Dam to the Courier as the kick in the head that they needed.

Lily - I normally get her to take her medicine at half doses so that she does not forget about her grandkids. I would probably leave her and her ending alone.

Raul - He either becomes a gunslinger again or continues to work as a mechanic depending on the end result of his quest. If he is convinced to remain as a mechanic he eventually moves to outer Vegas to repair ancient machinery. I suppose you could set him up with a repair shop. Something that is an improvement to his old shack. If convinced to become a gunslinger again you can assist him in going up against some left over Fiends, maybe convince him to find work as a bounty hunter. This sounds like something that could be tied to the New Vegas Bounties mods.

ED-E - Easy one here. He stays at the companions side so I suppose there's no need to change anything with him. Maybe you could implement a few upgrades in him. A stealth field would be something I would welcome.

Rex - Another easy one. I'm sure that the King would eventually want his dog back but there's nothing stopping the Courier from borrowing him again. Maybe you could tie in his involvement in Old World Blues where he breeds a litter of cyber puppies with Roxie.

Veronica - This is the one who just can't seem to catch a break in her endings. I suppose it would all depend on how you choose to deal with her quest and the Brotherhood. I would like to see a happy ending for Veronica but I just can't see her becoming the Elder of the Mojave chapter even with the Courier's help.

Edited by Devilman1975

I agree with Devilman1975: for the most part, the vanilla companions feel lacking and it might be better to make them into regular NPCs - the custom companions (I would add the two from the Boulder mod as well) are much more interesting.

Since there is a year long jump, I think the best best best would be to have them visible, but ultimately not that important.

Arcade - I concur, leave him as FOA, but I would also make him a teacher like in one of his better endings. This would mainly involve making a class room and several kid NPC's to show that Free side is prospering.

Boone - I got the best pro-NCR ending, so it might have to be tweaked, but it would make sense to meet him patrolling the raider areas with his own squad (Rangers if NPC's, just well armed mercs if not.)

Cass - I think she should open her own bar in Freeside and use it as a spy ring. Alcohol can loose lips and she can drink most people under the table - her prostitute employees get the rest when they are lying in bed.

Lilly - for some reason, I see her as having her at one of the farms near New Vegas, with a couple of bighorners for company. How crazy she is/isn't well depend on the medicine intake.

Raul - It would be awesome to have him be a mechanic by day and a Zorro-like character at night, with his own secret hideout and leaving an "R" carved into his dead enemies.

ED-E - yeah, there's really no where else for him to go except visit his other self at Lonesome Road.

Rex - I'm biased here, but I really don't like cyber-dogs, at least the way they are portrayed in-game. Have him be with the King or with the Followers if the King is dead.

Veronica - there was a thread here (a while ago) about reuniting Veronica and Christine; while I would still like to see that, ultimately, I think the best bet would be for Veronica leading a group like the BOS, but one who actually uses technology to help humanity rather than just squirrels it away. There used to be a mod (banned now) about getting control of your own unofficial BOS chapter called the Apostates - seems like a good concept for Veronica. It could be based out of the abandoned BOS bunker.

H&H Tools built the securitrons, Victor has it slung across his torso.

They are definitely a Robco (House) product, but apparently H & H tools are a sub contractor.....which is whacked. To the best of my knowledge House never actually had a hostile buyout of H & H so I have no idea why they would be working together. ????

Also, what about XRE cars? We could do something like that for the securitrons.

Possibly, but it wouldn't really save us any work over the more basic moveTo script,

Perhaps the player is injured, and 10 securitrons are about to finish him off, and then Yes Man hacks them all, Yes Man is the unwilling villian, he switches his personality at times when Mr. Houses database are down or so.

If we go with a digital clone House invading the mainframe, It could go something akin to this. Victor clandestinely hops into one of the securitrons in the Penthouse & inserts a logic bomb (or whatever fancy term for a unpatched exploit) allowing the digital House to regain control of the mainframe. When the player is in the penthouse next the elevator is shut down, and House is once again larger than life on the giant screen. As the player approaches the screen, the securitrons menacingly flank the player. House goes through his monologue, rambling about how he spent two centuries building NV and no one was going to take that from him. Maybe a quip like everyone gambles in NV, but the House always wins. he'll enjoy watching this victory over his greatest opponent, and bemoan what a efficient lieutenant you could have been, riches you could have had etc etc

Near the wrap up of the monologue House lets the player know that he's ofverloaded the reactors and this is the last moments on earth for the player, even if he survives the Securitrons, the elevator is locked. House will rebuild NV as he did once before.

At this point there is static and distorted screen whereupon Yesman appears (perhaps with the appearance of pain or great strain) with his new assertive personality he doesn't want the player and many innocents killed and has achieved momentary control of the mainframe. He can't disable the reactor meltdown it will have to be done manually, but he is able to reactivate the elevator before loosing control of the mainframe. From here it would be the same race against the clock with the hostile MK II's to harass the player.

TheAtmosphere, on 08 May 2013 - 23:54, said:

I felt the companions left a hole where something should have of been, it'll be great to give them even ministrial roles in the Independant Vegas, we can also make use of Yes Mans alternative unused faces.

They could also be valuable faction allies, depending on your circumstances. So lets say Veronica does become an elder, the BOS may be only a minor faction in the Mojave, but they are still a powerful force to reinforce any military action. Of course some factions will preclude others. Probably can't have a Jacobstown alliance if your in bed with the BOS.

If you help Cass get a new caravan house going I suspect she could bring in some steady monthly cash (along with some adventures)

I seem to be in two minds regarding the vanilla companions. While I think that they and their endings should probably be left alone I seem to think some of their endings seem somewhat bittersweet particularly Veronica's. It would be difficult to get some additional voiced dialogue unless something can be put together from existing audio files. I wouldn't mind some expansions to the vanilla companions if it ties in with their endings.

True, it would be best to reflect their vanilla game endings, but that's their final fate. It's also possible that a great deal may happen after the battle at hoover and before the end of their story. We'd be working in the space of that timeline. That being said, I need to read the companion endings before I start blathering, so I have some idea what I'm talking about......

Arcade - As a member of the Follower of the Apocalypse.....know that his ending states that an Independent Vegas is not what he thought it would be originally which sounds like taking control of Vegas is going to a monumental task for the Courier as expected. I would like to keep Arcade around as a representative for the Followers of the Apocalypse.

Yeah definitely, that sounds..... appropriate, it fits him well.

Rex - Another easy one. I'm sure that the King would eventually want his dog back but there's nothing stopping the Courier from borrowing him again. Maybe you could tie in his involvement in Old World Blues where he breeds a litter of cyber puppies with Roxie.

I was actually working on a cyberpup welp of Rex and Roxy using coco (which is based on Zenl & Watersmoon110 work). He is adorable;

not sure how to do a spoiler with the new board but here's a pic of him http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/images/39846-2-1295861714.jpg

But at the time, I was having trouble copying the block in nifskope for the special effects on the skull cap. And more importantly didn't know about subdivide in blender so was having a heck of a time fitting the skull cap. Should be do-able now.

Veronica - This is the one who just can't seem to catch a break in her endings. I suppose it would all depend on how you choose to deal with her quest and the Brotherhood. I would like to see a happy ending for Veronica but I just can't see her becoming the Elder of the Mojave chapter even with the Courier's help.

You may be right, she was too radical at times for even the liberal (by BOS standards) elder McNamara.....it may just be too much of a reach. But I think we should explore the possibilities that could result from her companion quests & the results of Hardin vs McNamara. There might be room for some expansion with her dealings in re: to the BOS.

OK running out of time, but some good observations in re: to the companions and I'd like to comment on the other remarks shortly. I'd also like to hear other peoples viewpoint on expanding the companion quests.
Also cr*p! The penthouse listed in teh interior list is a early, almost empty cell. The real one is an exterior cell that crashes whenever I try to load it. I'm doing some research when I get home from work, but it looks like turning off multibounds may allow it to load. It's gonna be a real killer if we can't work with the penthouse :down:

I think the deal is perhaps out of sympathy on Robert House's side, or perhaps Anthony suggested a cheaper construction method then Houses others

Perhaps a dialogue choice before you kill the resurrected House could be:

"The House always wins, but it's the Wild Card that collects the jackpot"

Also I'd love to see Victor taking a more antagonistic role in this, perhaps on a PR visit to Goodsprings before House comes back, you see Victor in the graveyard, he looks pissed, so you wobble over to talk to him, and he's acting unusual, then you hear House speaking through him, then when you get to Vegas, that's when it happens.

Edited by TheAtmosphere

The penthouse in the exterior shares an exterior cell with the lounge.

I would rather have a new companion, something like Geoffrey Rush's character in Elizabeth - a spymaster. Well educated, funny, and very deadly.