An independent New Vegas mod.

devinpatterson

Nooooo! Please don't make the reactor explode, nuclear reactors don't do that! (Or at least make it a little realistic, so instead of "overloading the reactor", you could create a hydrogen explosion, or just blow the lid off the pressure vessel and fill the Lucky 38 with scalding radioactive steam)

Oh they explode.......they explode real good. Remember Chernobyl? It's not pretty...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1b/Chernobyl_Disaster.jpg

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd just like to put out there that the more simple reason for house filling in the vault was because it had usefull things. Vault 21 was also a threat to the strip if you think about. If the people didn't like what house was doing they could've just sealed the place from the inside and periodically launch attacks. This would force house to constantly watch the place in case anyone tried to get out.

The idea you guys have come up with is an interesting idea and I didn't mean to rain on anyone's parade.

I'd just like to put out there that the more simple reason for house filling in the vault was because it had usefull things.

According to the wiki he actually stripped it of valuable tech.

Vault 21 was also a threat to the strip if you think about. If the people didn't like what house was doing they could've just sealed the place from the inside and periodically launch attacks. This would force house to constantly watch the place in case anyone tried to get out.

No they were never a threat, their offensive was extremely low, especially in comparison to House's securitrons. They were never aggressive and they lay under Vegas for two centuries. House always had the upper hand. It was how he was able to bully them into wagering everything they had on a single bet.

The idea you guys have come up with is an interesting idea and I didn't mean to rain on anyone's parade.

No rain, no worries. Vault 21 is an odd story, with a lot of holes. Even if you just take it at lore value, some things may not make a great deal of sense.

Nooooo! Please don't make the reactor explode, nuclear reactors don't do that! (Or at least make it a little realistic, so instead of "overloading the reactor", you could create a hydrogen explosion, or just blow the lid off the pressure vessel and fill the Lucky 38 with scalding radioactive steam)

Oh they explode.......they explode real good. Remember Chernobyl? It's not pretty...

Chernobyl, surprisingly only 31 deaths

If anyone's interested, here's a link to the Vault 21 idea we came up with a while ago.

I don't know if we should cause such permanent destruction to The Strip area, unless it's so that it can be rebuilt bigger and better than before.

@kingwilfre16 - 31 deaths at first. Radiation poisoning caused untold amounts of cancer and genetic damage on those who evacuated and whose long-term effects are still felt on their descendents.

Yep, that's from the heat of the fuel boiling off the coolant until the pressure inside the reactor blew the pile cap through the roof of the secondary containment. The sort of thing that could happen to any large boiler. This one's from a steam engine:

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site515/2008/0905/20080905__web_090408-jp-Rolling-mill_500.jpg

I worked in a nuclear power plant, and we were far more worried about the turbine hall than the reactors. If a turbine was to go, not only would it fill the entire area with steam hot enough to melt a person's skin right off, but the debris from the failure could have punched straight through the structure of the turbine hall and not landed for several miles!

That said, an overloaded reactor is probably more '50s-ish, and fits in a lot better with the Fallout setting than a steam explosion. Might make for a better story, even if I'll be sitting grumbling in a corner!

That said, an overloaded reactor is probably more '50s-ish, and fits in a lot better with the Fallout setting than a steam explosion. Might make for a better story, even if I'll be sitting grumbling in a corner!

No need to grumble :wink: we're just talking a conventional explosion, not a fission or fission fusion nuke. It's more than enough to take out the strip

If anyone's interested, here's a link to the Vault 21 idea we came up with a while ago.

I don't know if we should cause such permanent destruction to The Strip area, unless it's so that it can be rebuilt bigger and better than before.

@kingwilfre16 - 31 deaths at first. Radiation poisoning caused untold amounts of cancer and genetic damage on those who evacuated and whose long-term effects are still felt on their descendents.

31 deaths due to the steam explosions and acute radiation poisoning. Incidences of cancer are anyone's guess, although estimates range from 4,000 to 93,000 (the latter from a study carried out by an anti-nuclear group, who I'm not accusing of bias, but...) over the 50 years following the accident.

Interestingly, over 6,000 people died mining coal in China in 2004, and that's just the deaths they're admitting to. Gives the people who prefer fossil fuels because nuclear is "too dangerous" something to think about anyway!

(Apologies for the derail, carry on as you were! :p )

I'd just like to put out there that the more simple reason for house filling in the vault was because it had usefull things.

According to the wiki he actually stripped it of valuable tech.

Vault 21 was also a threat to the strip if you think about. If the people didn't like what house was doing they could've just sealed the place from the inside and periodically launch attacks. This would force house to constantly watch the place in case anyone tried to get out.

No they were never a threat, their offensive was extremely low, especially in comparison to House's securitrons. They were never aggressive and they lay under Vegas for two centuries. House always had the upper hand. It was how he was able to bully them into wagering everything they had on a single bet.

No rain, no worries. Vault 21 is an odd story, with a lot of holes. Even if you just take it at lore value, some things may not make a great deal of sense.

I should've elaborated more. The people of Vault 21 weren't much of a threat. What could've been a threat though is if some other group would've taken control of the Vault. Benny, Khans, Omerta's anybody that has beef with House could've used that place for a well fortified base of operations. You are right though the reason for sealing vault 21 is incredibly vague. Whatever house's reasons for doing it he obviously felt the place was a threat or could become one. I like your idea of House only sealing off a certain section while leaving the main parts intact.

As I understand it, Mr. House removed all the advanced technological stuff, and left just the bare minimum due to Sarah begging him to keep it open as a hotel. Why he decided to strip it out is unknown - there really is no logical reason I can think of. As for use as a fortified base, Vault 21 is underground with only one entrance/exit (officially - Benny apparently dug a secret way in) - simply sealing off the Gear Room would have accomplished the same result of keeping people out. I could understand being afraid of the sewers being used by a raiders, but Vault 21 doesn't appear to be connected to it (again, only Benny knowing about the secret entrance/exit).

I was thinking about Half-Life 2's City 17 and some dystopian future movies like Equilibrium - I think there should be propaganda towers everywhere, relaying slogans for whatever faction controls New Vegas. I picture it looking sort of like a Securitron, but with ceiling turrets instead of arms and a tall base instead of wheels (it's static). On top of it should be a flag pole (with faction flag) with a four-sided speaker system on top.