An independent New Vegas mod.

devinpatterson

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, i got a favor to ask.

I'm still working with the vanilla resources, but I thought of a couple of tiny (space wise) accessory mods that we can use (and permission is granted, according to the pages) and I don't know how to merge files together and make them work properly :smile:

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/41775/

and

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/44158/

I've attached the NPC Resources .esp and it'd be great if you could stick those two mods into it so I can use them. And take a look at what's been made so far, there's a bunch of NPCs, mostly for the bazaar area, labeled as "C2NCRxxxxx".

I also took a look in-game at the "lower city/ downtown van buren" area of Hoover Dam and found a couple of weird things:

The floor is meshed and can be trodden upon, but items dropped on the ground hover a few inches off of the ground, I'm thinking it'll need some work done to it. It's very low resolution as well.

Ok, there were a few other things but now that I think about it, they're minor at best.

If we're making the downtown area though, I think the best way to do it is to use the Elevator Platform from Lonesome Road; stick one static life at the top of the dam, and one at the bottom, and then transport the player down in a fade-to-black sequence without any animation. There's going to be a lot of textures to load for the downtown area, and doing a fade-to-black or forcing a loading screen prompt will make things smoother. I mention this because when I jumped to the bottom of the Dam, none of the textures for the pylon buildings loaded, and it wasn't until i entered the Dam power plant from the bottom and came back out that they had magically appeared.

Err... does that make sense?

Oh by the way, take a look at the "idle script" for the NCR Engineers. They walk around examining things and standing back and nodding to themselves, I thought it'd be good to use it for the bazaar customers if that's doable.

Here's a few more NPCs anyway; they're all only minor characters really.

http://imageupload.co.uk/files/wqdj1oawheq9z530spxn.jpg

The Giordano Brothers

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/3-Some_Caravan

Quests could involve hiring them to do business with Vegas, or putting them out of business on behalf of the Crimson Caravan who want to come back to the area...

and

The main people from the "Dustys Desires" brothel

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Hoover_Dam_Downtown#Dusty.27s_Desires_Bar_.26_Entertainment

Just a basic bar /whorehouse with a few new hookers and the super mutant bouncer. I'm not so happy with the way the hookers turned out, but I'm telling myself they'll look better in-game :sad: Don't mind the color on the bodies, that's just my replacer type 3 stuff that makes it look like that in the GECK, the color issue doesn't happen when it's running in the game itself. I'm actually pretty pleased with the way the black chick turned out though...

Anyway... more to come :wink:

Along with the two mods, if you've got (or anybody else for that matter) any clothes or items you want me to use on the NPCs, go ahead and merge them into the NPC Resources.esp file too.

(edit. whoops... can't attach an esp)

here, http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/51169/?

Edited by LuciaofArroyo

I'm still working with the vanilla resources, but I thought of a couple of tiny (space wise) accessory mods that we can use (and permission is granted, according to the pages) and I don't know how to merge files together and make them work properly :smile:

I havn't done it yet, but I don't think it looks to difficult and I need to learn to do it anyway. I probably won't be modding any more today, but I'll take a look at that tomorrow.

I've attached the NPC Resources .esp

I'm afraid I don't see the attachement in your post :sad:

I also took a look in-game at the "lower city/ downtown van buren" area of Hoover Dam and found a couple of weird things:

The floor is meshed and can be trodden upon, but items dropped on the ground hover a few inches off of the ground, I'm thinking it'll need some work done to it. It's very low resolution as well.

Yeah, the collision mesh is a little high. I can usually fix that in blender. re: the textures I'll take a look.

If we're making the downtown area though, I think the best way to do it is to use the Elevator Platform from Lonesome Road; stick one static life at the top of the dam, and one at the bottom, and then transport the player down in a fade-to-black sequence without any animation.

Err... does that make sense?

Sure, I'm following you, sounds good.

Oh by the way, take a look at the "idle script" for the NCR Engineers. They walk around examining things and standing back and nodding to themselves, I thought it'd be good to use it for the bazaar customers if that's doable.

Yeah we can do that and more, essentially any idle or special animation.

Here's a few more NPCs anyway; they're all only minor characters really.

Looks great :thumbsup: RE: the SM, it would be a twist if she was a hooker instead of muscle. I could remove the goggles and monocle, and make the wig bigger if you want to go for a beehive type look.

They're all looking good Lucia :smile:

If you want to save the antique eyebot or one of hte prototype eyebots (A or B) for the NCR (which makes sense, considering their lack of tech in comparison to BOS or Enclave) then you could give the robotists a different (non functioning) antique. Pic;

Heh they're all looking pretty good. I didn't really have anything in mind for the robots to be honest, so all of that's up to you to decide what to put in. NCR isn't so high tech, but the population of Hoover Dam could have some salvage antique ED-E bots to run around and play music and act as if they're busy.

I particularly like the broom version of Mr Smacky, it matches 110% perfect to the Mr Handy adverts.

I have arrived lol.

Good to have you with us!

Ok, reading back through the last few posts- here's my thoughts on Van Buren and the plague concept:

We don't have to go that far into Van Buren, it'll complicate things. I think the simplest and most effective way to bring all of these together is to follow the timeline of Van Buren and Fallout, the Prisoners actions at Hoover Dam and the Plague may have already happened, and then the war with the Brotherhood happened and then the war with the Legion happened, and so the people had fled and have just started to come back. From the point of view of the current storyline of Vegas, it's about 10 years or so after the Van Buren story has already happened.

There are stories from Van Buren we can use, like the Smooch drug discovery, http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Smooch possibly, but generally speaking, we don't want to turn this into revamp of Van Buren by copying everything that's there and copying every quest, it'd just be no fun to do.

edit.

'm afraid I don't see the attachement in your post

I edited it and put it back at the bottom lol

Edited by LuciaofArroyo

Hoover dam as player house for NCR could easily work. I'm working on an industrial style house right now that could serve as a launching pad. If memory serves me right alot of hoover dam uses industrial style objects. Adding a house would fairly easy. Any player homes we do will need to take into account size. How big do we want to make these places? I could make places similar to the way WestEmperor does his and make it a single person house or I could go bigger leaving enough room for several companions. As a player house that's representing factions post hoover dam battle(I"m correct on this yes?) we may want a room or even the house to server as command center also.

Hoover dam as player house for NCR could easily work. I'm working on an industrial style house right now that could serve as a launching pad. If memory serves me right a lot of hoover dam uses industrial style objects. Adding a house would fairly easy. Any player homes we do will need to take into account size. How big do we want to make these places? I could make places similar to the way WestEmperor does his and make it a single person house or I could go bigger leaving enough room for several companions. As a player house that's representing factions post hoover dam battle(I"m correct on this yes?) we may want a room or even the house to server as command center also.

There's definitely going to be a Player Home. I was thinking it be a purchased apartment inside the Dam, which wouldn't be very fancy, or... if the player is working with trade caravans in NCR/Independent versions, then they can get a larger building in the downtown area, sort of a compound where trade is conducted, which has a "suite" inside of it. That's what I going to suggest with the Crimson and Giordano Caravan thing anyway.

I took a whole bunch of screenshots earlier on of the outside areas of the Dam, and i'm going draw up an outline of where new buildings should go on the surface of the Dam- there's nothing major apart from some shack buildings, and a sandcrete entrance gate (and the Lonesome Road elevator lift). The majority of building work is going to be reshaping the interior of the Dam by adding junk wall dividers and making rooms within rooms. Beyond those areas (the office levels and power plant) there's total freedom to add high tech labs underground and sewage swamps from Van Buren, I'm just focusing on the Dam and the Downtown area for now, I have nothing in mind for the interior of the Dam.

Actually, here's something ambitious, a cool thing to do on the top of the Dam would be to extend the walkway area a little bit around the two water towers (this area http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Hoover_Dam_intake_tower ), adding some scrap metal flooring, and turn it into a larger open air "balcony" restaurant which has a great view over the lake and fortification hill. It's actually one of the nicest views in the game, and it's probably never even been seen by 90% of players lol

Ok guys, here's a rough look at the top of the Dam, and what I've got in mind:

(mainly for Gunslingers attention and ANYBODY else who wants to help out with building)

The Water Towers

http://imageupload.co.uk/files/athrec9qdw3ea1a1i92s.jpg

So this is a great spot for an open-air "grab and gulp" style cafe, lots of tables and chairs looking out over the lake to feed travelers and troopers, it'd be cool (if it's doable) to extend the 1st walkway with crude scrap metal flooring to provide more space for benches and that kind of thing. Or even to extend the 1st walkway so it merges in with Building Space A to create a large scrap metal and junk structure over the water itself.

The cafe (depending on how it's built) should have an oven outside, at least, to give Malkos wife something to do :)

Building Space A

http://imageupload.co.uk/files/b0k3v3c0hn72vozgjtvb.jpg

A place for more scrap metal shacks that are built into the side of the cliff, and a medium sized sandcrete building to act as the new Hoover Dam City Hall that's also built extending into the cliff- this would be a two story building, a mayors office at the top, and a meeting hall and reception desk downstairs. The immediate area around the shacks and hall would be littered with rubble and not looking very clean at all. It merges into the Bazaar area and tents and market stalls can overlap into the shacks if that looks good.

So for this area we need the City Hall, and maybe four or five shacks, one of which can be used as a General Store, and the others for housing some of the locals- or just render their doors inaccessible since they aren't really needed at the moment.

There's also a large empty area behind it which could be turned into a scrap yard, full of rubble and girders and scraps of metal that provide salvage work for the locals.

The Bazaar

http://imageupload.co.uk/files/vzuy9i2uw75y8k12128h.jpg

This area extends over the Anti Craft Gun, runs over the whole platform of the Visitors Center, and over to the two statues at the entrance road of the Dam. It's littered with crude tables put together as individual market stalls, and a few makeshift blue tents to give the vendors somewhere to sleep, it'd be nice to have some animations of some selected locals permanently sitting around a cinder block camp fire here too.

The stalls we want so far... (damn we're going to need some signs for these stalls too)

1) Souvenir Stand

A larger 2 or 3 table stall, covered in Legion helmets, a couple of tribal spears and some machetes, legion coins laid out (wasn't there an item for the box of pennies from Fallout 3?) and a mannequin dressed in Centurion armor to complete the look.

2) Siri and Melodys Stall

A one table stall with some makeshift bedding behind it, the table should have tribal vases (Honest Hearts style) on it and underneath it, and cutting boards with xander and broc flowers on top that Siri uses to make her tribal remedies.

3) Scrap Merchant (this guy should be located nearer to the scrapyard area)

Two tables cluttered with various bits of junk, maybe a motorbike too...

4) Gun Runners Merchant

Basically a US Army truck, wherever you can find the space to put it without making it block the view of the market place, with ammo boxes and a table or two covered in pistols and assault rifles, submachineguns and individual boxes of bullets.

5) two separate food stalls

one on either end of the bazaar (or wherever you can fit them in, use them as filler if there are empty looking areas after the other stalls have been placed, they aren't that important), both with tables covered in assorted squirrel-on-a-sticks and vegetables, like the guy selling rat meat in Freeside, both have produce crates and milk crates underneath and on top of the stalls

6) Nuka Cola Stall

I thhhink (this is up to Devin) if we have a stall where one of the merchants is sells Nuka, and then we have the Sunset merchant wandering around with a vendor tray without a stall then that could look a little better; the Nuka Cola vendor hates the Sunset Vendor and she walks by his stall once in a while and he gets to yell at her lol.. ah anyway, the Nuka stall should just basically be covered in a variety of Nuka Cola bottles, with some empties in a crate beside the stall, perhaps if you can find a Nuka Cola advert in the game files, then use it as decoration (there has to be a bunch of Nuka Cola stuff in the GECK right?)

Building Space B (or The Entrance Gate)

http://imageupload.co.uk/files/hvklihareqj97sa9k2ra.jpg

Ok, Building Space B comprises the sandcrete entrance gate (you're probably have to play around with the size of it to make it look credibly big enough for a truck to pass through it) which extends on a largeish sandcrete wall extending into the rocks on either side of the road. Where Building Space B is written, there can be another sandcrete building, with a crude fort tower on its roof, that's used as a customs office; a big wooden Vault type Desk inside of it, lots of metal cabinets and a filing cabinet, and a prison cage in one corner full of weapons lockers and ammunition crates.

It would be unbelievably cool to use this http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/images/13078-4-1276526995.jpg tower and stick a couple of them on either side of the road, or one up on the cliff nearest to the water, kind of like Vault City in Fallout 2 http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120907024227/fallout/images/8/85/Fo2_Vault_City_Courtyard.png

Sandcrete

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/48139

Vault City Turret

http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/13078//?

Elevator to the Lower City /Downtown Area

http://imageupload.co.uk/files/t07tyl763gml75qvbsr0.jpg

There's the location for the elevator, but this isn't a top priority until we've looked at the downtown area properly (stick with the bazaar for now), but, I wanted to get some feedback on it anyway. The static elevator from Lonesome Road, the Ashton Silo...

http://youtu.be/bO5wgSbhdcE?t=11m30s

...since the elevator would be static and not moving all we need to do is find a way to create vertical tracks on the wall of the Dam to make it look convincing, but I don't know where to begin to suggest what to use to do that... any thoughts?

For the elevator sequence, the platformwould stay at the top of the Dam, and player can "ride the elevator" down to the lower city by activating the console, the cues a loading screen and transports the player, then when they're at the lower city, the elevator platform has already returned to the top of the Dam, and the player has the option at another console to "summon elevator", at which point, they're transported up again. It's a little bit crude, but if the fade-to-black is done right, and combined with the right sound effects, then it'll seem okay.

The water towers are a neat idea but they're relatively small. This means I either build really small confined spaces (which I've done in the past eg. my wasteland bunker) or I go bigger. The problem with going bigger is that that its going to feel odd. Then again half the buildings in F3 or NV are large on the outside and small on the inside so who's to say. I could probably build off the water towers with scrap metal as could anyone with basic structure making knowledge. The the thing everyone has to take into account is that this is a massive undertaking and while some of us may have a great understanding of what we're doing most don't(I'm included in that) I understand everyone wanting to dream big but we also have to remain grounded in reality.

As for setting up stalls as long as someone can work the AI packages and merchant scripts setting up the stalls is really easy actually. give me a day or two and I could get a working set up together.

I'd love to use sandcrete stuff but I've had problems getting most modder resources to work. I must be doing something wrong I can only mod buildings if there file is already avaible in the geck so I'd need some explanation on that part.

Lastily I've mentioned this to Devin but if anyone doesn't know I'm going to be starting college soon (living there atleast) my free time could be quite limited I just don't know. I will try to help though.