An independent New Vegas mod.

devinpatterson

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had a thought when reading some wiki pages - why not use Anthony House? The half-brother of Mr. House, he stole Robert's inheritance and lived his life in paranoia and guilt until 2077, when he mysteriously fired everyone at his company, trapped and sealed it shut. His body is nowhere to be found. So, how about Anthony is the x-factor - the reason why Mr. House was unable to get the platinum chip and why he is unable to access the securitron vault despite having a computer connection to it. For whatever reason, Anthony was (afraid/jealous) of his brother and his ambitions (because Robert is a sociopath/or because Anthony is the bad guy) and tried to head him off but was unable to. Just as intelligent as his brother, he built himself a facility underneath his headquarters that rivals Robert's. There, he had a duplicate pod and was able to survive to the present day. Now, how will this impact the storyline? I don't know. Perhaps this can be a new antagonist, trying to kill you. Perhaps this can be a Mr. House 2.0 who has a more benevolent-ish outlook. Perhaps he can be a great help when fighting against Yes-Man, should that be the primary enemy. What do you think?

Just had a thought when reading some wiki pages - why not use Anthony House? The half-brother of Mr. House, he stole Robert's inheritance and lived his life in paranoia and guilt until 2077, when he mysteriously fired everyone at his company, trapped and sealed it shut. His body is nowhere to be found.

I think it's an interesting idea, and I don't think anyone else has developed his (Anthony's) story line in a mod.

So, how about Anthony is the x-factor - the reason why Mr. House was unable to get the platinum chip and why he is unable to access the securitron vault despite having a computer connection to it.

I have to say I really like the lore based idea of the platinum chip being lost just on the day of the war due to the apocalypse. Something about that seems very appropriate to the fallout universe.

For whatever reason, Anthony was (afraid/jealous) of his brother and his ambitions (because Robert is a sociopath/or because Anthony is the bad guy) and tried to head him off but was unable to. Just as intelligent as his brother, he built himself a facility underneath his headquarters that rivals Robert's. There, he had a duplicate pod and was able to survive to the present day.

I tend to think it would cheapen Roberts life extension tech, which is supposed to be virtually unique in nature. But I take your point that we would have to have some sort of life-extension for him to play any part other than post posthumus notes/terminal entries. And there are a lot of life extension technologies in teh fall out universe.

I guess I'v always thought of his brother as pale comparison to Robert....a coward, a cheat, not as intelligent, not as creative, prone to insanity (strangely enough the same sort that afflicted Hughes, and which Robert is unaffected by.....curious since Robert resembles Hughes in so many other ways), etc.

Now, how will this impact the storyline? I don't know. Perhaps this can be a new antagonist, trying to kill you. Perhaps this can be a Mr. House 2.0 who has a more benevolent-ish outlook. Perhaps he can be a great help when fighting against Yes-Man, should that be the primary enemy. What do you think?

Well how would you feel about a compromise? I don't feel/believe Anthony is Roberts equal, in my opinion they'r not even in the same league.....but that's my opinion, not sure what would be the "official" word in re: to lore. It seems Robert started with nothing (cheated out of his inheritance) and built one of the biggest most successful companies in the world. Anthony on the otherhand had the silver spoon treatment and still screwed it all up.

So what if, instead of making him an equal (whether ally or villain), he became a source of information? It wouldn't make him a main character, but he'd still be a very important part of the quest.

I'm thinking it would go something like this;

Going off my (admittedly sparse) outline in post #46, and you go through all the terminals, securitrons etc to save Yesman, his evil questline is cut off (his software is not damaged). Your a swell guy and Yesman can be your buddy...which is all great, but Robert is still out there and he's not going to give up just because he failed initially.

But Robert is incredibly intelligent and hasn't left any clue to his whereabouts, so Anthony could be a source for that information. He would know places where Robert vacationed, worked, and in general spent his time. If Robert has a hideaway/sancutary(ies) he's probably the most likely person left on earth to know it.

Plus we could really play up his insanity. It wouldn't be anything as simple as tracking him down from the H&H and having a polite discussion. Anthony is crazy....not a little peculiar, but batsh*t crazy. Wherever he is, is going to be full of traps and automated defenses, not to mention alters and aritfacts of his insanity. Weirdness galore, from little things like bottles of his own urine to long rambling nonsense over the pa the whole time the player is exploring his hideout, to homicidal paranoia. It wouldn't be a cake walk to get the info the player needs, and it will be a very interesting change of environment, building a interior cell that matches Anthony's deranged mind.

So a different approach, but I think it's a good compromise in light of the fact that we already have a villain (depending on the players choice during the initial questline it's either Robert or Yesman), and IMHO it fits Anthony's lore a little closer.

How would you feel about following that plot line?

Man I can't wait for this awesome brainstorm to clear and light of day shine upon those they want to keep New Vegas for themselves.

Thanks Skyviper086, feel free to contribute your thoughts, I think we all have ideas of how NV could develop and your contribution will make it a richer mod. As it stands right now, version 1 will probably be released without the House/Yesman questline. It will basically clean up the battle areas (legion camp, hoover), include some of the end slideshow scenarios (the riots in NV), the mysterious disappearance of House (or his corpse) and the migration/reinforcement of the securitron army to NV.

Version 2 will start the House/Yesman quest line, as well as other faction changes/quests.

And there may be a version 3 that allows substantial changes to NV to fit the players vision(s), things like fortifying NV, adding new factions to NV etc.

I suppose it would make sense to keep Anthony a bit more... weak than Robert. I therefore suggest that perhaps Robert decided to take revenge on his brother, which is why Anthony trapped out his office. The securitrons were more than a match and they captured him. He was made to go through the process of being "saved" as a test case for when Robert would do it himself. Once he was hooked up into the system, he was able to retain only mild conscious thought. When Robert was killed/disconnected/etc., he was able to gather his thoughts for the first time in a long time. The problem with this "story", is then Anthony become irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Perhaps a good place for him to be "found" is under Camp Golf, the former home of Mr. House.

. He was made to go through the process of being "saved" as a test case for when Robert would do it himself. Once he was hooked up into the system, he was able to retain only mild conscious thought.

That doesn't "feel" to me, like something Robert would do, but it is a very good explanation for Anthony's extended life, and fits together well for the plot.

When Robert was killed/disconnected/etc., he was able to gather his thoughts for the first time in a long time. The problem with this "story", is then Anthony become irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Perhaps a good place for him to be "found" is under Camp Golf, the former home of Mr. House.

What if he was able to regain consciousness and control of his destiny before the current date, years or a decade, but after teh rangers had already moved in. Maybe between the NCR and his own overwhelming paranoia he just stayed hidden like a rat in a hole....I think that might fit his personality considering his metal degradation. Perhaps Robert stopped watching him decades ago when equipment failures severed the link. Or a malfunction in medical telemetry just reported him as dead, 40 years back.

And instead of him becoming completely irrelevant, he would be an important part of the quest, as a information source to locate Robert. Although I don't recommend it, he could even have an extended story line after the quest. Whether that's a sad pitiful figure or a dangerous madman.

Part of the reason I'm pushing for this angle is also so I can make a genuine madman's residence/lair. I think that could be very interesting, between the freakish decor/items, notes/diariey, traps and bots.

Actuallly, isn't it pretty much canon that Anthony is/was a McCarthyist failure who boobie traps his own office from sheer paranoia from his brother and/or the reds?

How rich was House's father, ie. how much of an inheritance did he get cheated out of? I got the impression that Anthony wasted quite a bit of that on his own ineptitude, and I highly doubt he had the foresight- let alone the wealth- to procure a life extension procedure in the event of a nuclear apocalypse. He MIGHT have purchased a position in a vault or something (it would fit in with his lazy/lack of vision approach to business- let someone else eg. the government-backed vault tec do it for you) at the last minute but failed to make it in time (House wouldn't care too much for his incompetent brother, certainly not enough to kill him or save him...) hence the ghoulification.