Anybody else get into oblivion more than skyrim?

WWWEEE

Started with Skyrim, found it was meh. The buildings all look the same, and there are around seven different NPC voices for the majority of Skyrim. Those two aspects completely drowned Skyrim for me.

Played Oblivion second, couldn't stand it. The NPCs looked fugly. Don't get me wrong, I loved NWN's low poly characters, but Oblivion's potato heads just killed the game for me. And the same three voices being spoken throughout the land.

Played Morrowind third, couldn't get into it. I never liked Dice-rolling combat where you can see your weapon hit your opponent and hear a squish of flesh, whilst being told "You missed".

Played Arena fourth, loved it. It's f***ing hard, fun and there are no repetitive voices to grind my nerves.

Got Daggerfall, am going to try it today.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oblivion was one of the first PC games I ever played, and having only had access to mobile phone java-powered games before hand, it was like being immersed in liquid awsome. I was stunned that something like that even existed. (I had a very deprived childhood computer-game wise).

Skyrim has some really great new changes, prettier magic, different scenery, and fancy finishing moves. But to be honest, thats about it.

The combat, is terrible. If it weren't for the finishing moves (which don't occur nearly as frequently as they should), I think I would have been sick. Oblivion + working Deadly Reflex 6 = Better than Skyrim. I mean, what kind of deranged mind decided that it was impossible to block with dual-wielded weapons? Quote: "Dual wielding prevents any chance of blocking, but potentially doubles damage output." What is this? World of Warcraft? I'm no swordsman but I've done a bit of sparring with my mates with wooden swords, and the main advantage of dual wielding is that you are free to use each sword as you like, using one or both swords to parry or strike in any sequence. And brawls are even worse than vanilla Oblivion. Yeah, It's not as if it's possible to *block* with your *fists*.

I can't wait for SkyCaptain or some other legendary modder to save us from this purgatory of terrible combat. The Duel mod improves it, but doesn't make the drastic changes, that in my opinion, are desperately needed.

Also, why has Bethesda still not realised that cloaks, spears, crossbows and mounted warriors were an extremely common sight on the medieval battlefield? I wonder how they justify a 'Stormcloak' rebellion, when strangely, no cloaks can be found anywhere. At all. Even Star Wars Battlefront II had decent capes. This gaping chasm in content once again ends up having to be filled by the awsome modders spending their valuable time on things that should have been done by Bethesda. Okay, at least the latest beta patch will add horse combat, and they did put beards in the game.

Overall, Bethesda has created a another, prettier Oblivion, with much more cool stuff, but at the same time created more flaws than they have fixed, which isn't a particularly substantial amount.

I can't help but view Skyrim as an attempt. An attempt to out-do Oblivion simply by adding content and not doing the relatively small things that would have made it world-class. However, Oblivion was probably the best game I have ever played, and Skyrim is still a relative, and therefore, also a great, and very enjoyable game.

Vive la Obliviona!

Edit: Of course everything I've written here is just my opinion, so feel free to slate me.

Edited by Xios5

I started playing Morrowind after it had been out a while (bought the goty edition with both expansions) and man did I love that game. I downloaded tons of mods eventually and loved it even more. When Oblivion came out my buddy picked it up and after watching him play it and hearing him talk about it a bit, I was less than impressed. So I never bought and still have never played it.

Skyrim peaked my TES curiosity again and I had enough extra cash to go out and pick it up and I am glad I did. It's quite a change going from Morrowind to Skyrim (visually, mechanically, etc) and while it's dumbed down ("steamlined?") I do still enjoy the game thoroughly. They could have included a lot more stuff that's true and I certainly don't like that they removed things (crossbows, throwing stars, stats, spell creation, the list goes on and on) but mods will get it all back in there eventually. I am looking forward to the dlcs and the mods that will come later. I played Morrowind for years and will probably do the same with Skyrim.

Of course I'm not one to play a game to death in the first week (or month) mostly because I can't. I get an hour in here, maybe two occasionally. I still haven't done many quest lines in Skyrim, just decided yesterday that I'm going to finish the MQ for the first time with my current character. So I haven't gotten bored with it at all. I bought it in December and probably have about 150-175 hours into it over many many different characters.

I see Skyim as a step down mainly because it was stripped and is loosing its heritage due to being made for the more casual gamer, it has less guild quests and seems less immersive then Oblivion..

This is exactly how I felt about Oblivion after playing Morrowind for years, it felt like a HUGE step backwards for a roleplaying game and I laid at the feet of console gaming, and Bethesda dumbing down so many roleplaying features to attract the more casual console player. Oblivion played like an action adventure with rpg elements much moreso than a traditional roleplaying game.

For one thing the dungeons in Oblivion were more perplexing... Skyrim's dungeons are average at best.

Some of those Aylid (spelling) in Oblivion were mind bendingly hard to navigate correctly... It was great, now its basic dungeons with an instant way out once you reach the end.

*crapola*

Oblivion was my very first elder scrolls game and I credit oblivion for igniting my love for these games. However, I played Skyrim more in 2 months than I did oblivion in 5. To me, Skyrim is the better game. But that's all opinion of course.

I like them all. I shouldn't like them all equally, they're different games and mean different things for me based on different time periods.

This applies to most people.

To me skyrim felt exactly the same as oblivion did...at first it was fun to play, then i started to make new alts, download tons of mods, because i was getting bored and then i ended up having the love/hate relationship i had with oblivion...until i wasnt able to play it for more then 10min.

Skyrim does some things better then oblivion did, i like especially the new animations for crafting and gathering, the world etc...but in the end to me its just feels like oblivion 2.0.

I see Skyim as a step down mainly because it was stripped and is loosing its heritage due to being made for the more casual gamer, it has less guild quests and seems less immersive then Oblivion..

This is exactly how I felt about Oblivion after playing Morrowind for years, it felt like a HUGE step backwards for a roleplaying game and I laid at the feet of console gaming, and Bethesda dumbing down so many roleplaying features to attract the more casual console player. Oblivion played like an action adventure with rpg elements much moreso than a traditional roleplaying game.

Do you honestly think that Bethesda should create games for a niche group of people when they're selling way more copies to everyone?

For one thing the dungeons in Oblivion were more perplexing... Skyrim's dungeons are average at best.

Some of those Aylid (spelling) in Oblivion were mind bendingly hard to navigate correctly... It was great, now its basic dungeons with an instant way out once you reach the end.

*crapola*

Please explain this comment. For starters I've heard this complaint before and I don't understand how making you backtrack through a huge dungeon would make the game better. To me it's a lot of tedius nonsense, but this is my opinion.

The part I would like to hear more about though is that the dungeons in Oblivion were more perplexing. I haven't played enough to agree or disagree, but I have heard more than once people criticize Oblivion for only having like 3 dungeon designs. Is this false then?