Should I still use Nexus Mod Manager?

Kulharin

Just installed Skyrim Special Edition, and haven't modded it before.

I used it for modding Skyrim and never had many problems with it. Although I hear it's no longer updated or supported anymore? Should I be using something else to install and manage mods?

If you use NMM, make sure you use the version available on GitHub. It is still somewhat supported, but the latest version isn't available on Nexus. Conversely, you could use Vortex, which is what is replacing NMM at some point in the future.

Other mod managers available are Wrye Bash (what I use), and Mod Organiser/Mod Organiser 2 (made by the one who is working on Vortex).

decided to go with mod organize but 2 questions I had. when installing mods that would overwrite files in other mods in Nexus, they are not in mod manager... Is this intended or am I missing a step? Or is it load order based?

Also when installing a patch for a mod, do I just say yes to merge files?

Hi. I see you choised MO2, but i will anyway give my thoughts on Vortex Alpha.

I have (after using NMM for the last few years) i started to use Vortex for Skyrim SE out of curiosity (still using NMM for all my other games).

Vortex is very easy to use. The "built in" Loot works great. A good profile management system.

I am in the beginning of first playtrough after modding. Currently with 293 mods and 251 active plugins. I use Mator Smash for Smash Patch.

After 15 hours ingame i have not a single cdt! Being in alpha Vortex works very well with SSE i think.

"I use Mator Smash for Smash Patch."

Uhh, does that do the same thing as the Wyre Bash Bashed patch?

I know I've used a Bashed Patch and a TES5edit merged patch before.

Basicaly yes. So no need for bashed patch. I dont use any merged patch since i only have 251 plugins.

If you are starting from complete 0, don't use NMM. Just go with Vortex instead because that is somewhat official replacement for Nexus Mod manager. And Vortex even got a separate space here on the forums, that's why I call it a NMM replacement.