My critique of Diablo III.

Beriallord

Even Ubisoft isn't this crazy about DRM.

For a console, that IS technically a crazy DRM scheme. The HDD on a console is usually quite small and can fill up quickly in cases where you're downloading anything from online play (patches, updates, DLC, games bought with points). I wouldn't be surprised if that part that is installed isn't some sort of convoluted way to check that the disc being used isn't bootlegged or used on a modified console. Or at the least, something that kills rentals and re-sales... You know, the stuff that PC gamers already take for granted.

Once upon a time all you needed to play a PC game was insert the diskette or CD ROM into a computer, type in a few commands, and it would all play with no installation needed.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

idk. if you are never going to play the game again, youd sell the game. get at least some money back. if all your doing is uninstalling the game, then your not really accomplishing anything, again unless you need space.

as for the server issue. it truly is pathetic. its not like this was Blizzards first time with a big game launch. this wasnt some indie game developed in a year by an indie company. this was Blizzard. they have the time, money, and the experience to make sure this server stuff doesnt happen. idr if there were issues at the launch of SC2. i preordered it and i dont remember not being able to log in. they really have no excuses and its unacceptable that it happened in the first place. and while it is a Con to the game, its not an indefinite Con. its not a reason to never buy the game, its a reason to not buy the game now.

Ah I wish. Back in the day you could re-sell your PC games. The good old days when all you needed was the disc and a CD key, god I miss those times. I remember playing Half Life without Steam and playing Duke Nukem 3D over LAN. As for uninstalling, I feel some pride in uninstalling garbage even if I don't need the space. Duke Nukem Forever wasn't even worth the disc it was printed on, why should I keep it on my HDD? lol :P

Meh to Blizzard. Battle.net servers have always been unstable. I don't know how many times bnet has gone crazy in DII. Connection time out, getting "stuck" in an old game because you exited it too fast, getting "restricted" for joining games too fast, insane lag, etc. I lost two high runes because the server I was on lagged out...was not happy. I swear with all the server issues in D3 it makes me think they are using the same old servers from when the original Diablo came out lol.

Dunno, my friend keeps on trying to convince us to get copies. He even said you could get a refund on the digital copy. He failed to tell us that it doesn't apply for US buyers...glad I looked that up before deciding to buy.

Plain and simple, Blizzard got greedy. WoW is dying so they had to make another cash cow and sadly they decided ruining Diablo was the way to go. I don't think I've ever seen so many negative reviews on a game other than Duke Nukem Forever. Most of the negativity is from the DRM. It's something to be angry about, but that's not he worst part of the game. I've already said my share about why it sucks in another thread...it's not Diablo to me and I don't think it ever will be. Unless they decide to completely re-do the skill tree, bring back stats, get rid of all annoying pop ups/helper arrows, and get rid of the RMAH, I'll never buy it.

Edited by Illiad86

Once upon a time all you needed to play a PC game was insert the diskette or CD ROM into a computer, type in a few commands, and it would all play with no installation needed.

Oh my god those days, 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 diskettes awesome times.

Btw how is going in korea? they start to refund the ppl??

Even Ubisoft isn't this crazy about DRM.

For a console, that IS technically a crazy DRM scheme. The HDD on a console is usually quite small and can fill up quickly in cases where you're downloading anything from online play (patches, updates, DLC, games bought with points). I wouldn't be surprised if that part that is installed isn't some sort of convoluted way to check that the disc being used isn't bootlegged or used on a modified console. Or at the least, something that kills rentals and re-sales... You know, the stuff that PC gamers already take for granted.

Its not too bad, the HDD on my 360 is 240 GB, even crammed with DLC, music and some arcade games, it's never gonna be full. The days of consoles having goldfish -like lack of memory appear to be over.

Edited by Vindekarr

I got Dragon's Dogma a couple days ago, and I gotta say its pretty good, with a few minor issues I got with the game design. The biggest issue for me is Pawns changing their inclinations from what you want them to be. Example, I got a Strider pawn with Mitigator and Challenger, which gives them the perfect AI for ranged attacks, but I frequently lose Mitigator for Pioneer, which means they run in an melee everything and rarely use a bow. I ended up just changing the pawn to a fighter, seeing how they were eventually just gonna run in and melee everything anyway. Despite that its still better than Diablo III. The fights are fun, especially against the big mobs like Chimeras, Cyclops, Ogres, etc. Haven't seen a Dragon yet. They could have made a much simpler way to control the Pawns actions, tell them to keep a distance and go all out with ranged, or run in and attack the highest HP target in melee, focus on healing/support with mage or etc.

And I deleted all my characters in Diablo III, gave all my items/gold to my brother and cousin who also played the game. Last time I heard, both of them quit the game right after me. I wanted to make sure I had no reason to ever go back to Diablo III.

And I heard Blizzard is gonna be nerfing Inferno with the 1.03 patch. Act 1 inferno will have a chance to drop item level 63 gear, which is the highest tier of equipment. This will make availability on some of the better equipment higher, and also cheaper at the AH. And damage mobs do in acts 2 through 4 is going to be nerfed. In act 1 inferno I was still finding level 51 items, when you have to be level 60 to even enter, its kinda dumb. Even in act 4 you can still find level 54 items.

Edited by Beriallord

I got Dragon's Dogma a couple days ago, and I gotta say its pretty good, with a few minor issues I got with the game design. The biggest issue for me is Pawns changing their inclinations from what you want them to be. Example, I got a Strider pawn with Mitigator and Challenger, which gives them the perfect AI for ranged attacks, but I frequently lose Mitigator for Pioneer, which means they run in an melee everything and rarely use a bow. I ended up just changing the pawn to a fighter, seeing how they were eventually just gonna run in and melee everything anyway. Despite that its still better than Diablo III. The fights are fun, especially against the big mobs like Chimeras, Cyclops, Ogres, etc. Haven't seen a Dragon yet. They could have made a much simpler way to control the Pawns actions, tell them to keep a distance and go all out with ranged, or run in and attack the highest HP target in melee, focus on healing/support with mage or etc.

And I deleted all my characters in Diablo III, gave all my items/gold to my brother and cousin who also played the game. Last time I heard, both of them quit the game right after me. I wanted to make sure I had no reason to ever go back to Diablo III.

And I heard Blizzard is gonna be nerfing Inferno with the 1.03 patch. Act 1 inferno will have a chance to drop item level 63 gear, which is the highest tier of equipment. This will make availability on some of the better equipment higher, and also cheaper at the AH. And damage mobs do in acts 2 through 4 is going to be nerfed. In act 1 inferno I was still finding level 51 items, when you have to be level 60 to even enter, its kinda dumb. Even in act 4 you can still find level 54 items.

Well that was always a prevalent feature in all of the Diablo games. I can't count the number of times I'd get a set of keys in a special chest or dropped off a boss in hell difficulty.

Is Dragons Dogma coming to the PC?