Georgia and Russia

DarkWarrior45

Well, when the Olympic games began, Russia rolled tanks into Georgia, along with launching a bombing campaign. This, of course, prompted some questions in my mind.

Georgia is an ally of the United States, and is a candidate for being accepted into NATO. Scary thought.

Now, is it possible that we could see a NATO or US intervention in this war? Or will this mainly be a duke solely between Georgia and Russia?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt the US will do more that chasitze Putin. I also doubt that Nato will get involved for more than anything other than humanitarian aid...at least at this point. No large nation has gotten involved in this yet and since there is nothing the West wants from there chances of involvment are slim to none.

Sad but true.

Russia didn't just randomly attack Georgia. Georgia invaded a Russian territory that George claimed belonged to them, and Russia responded. Georgia really doesn't stand a chance though, unless they receive a lot of foreign help.

hmm..think you may be mistaken there, timi. From 'The Little That I know', i think that Oesetia, the place in question, was part of Georgia; had been flooded with Russian nationals during the Russian Soviet Empire era; Georgia , on the collapse of the Russian Soviet Empire took what had been 'her's' back;Georgia would like to join NATO; the Russian 'Government', the present one, doesnt like it; and are using the presence of so many Russian nationals there as an excuse to go in mob handed. Plus, there might be oil, or some other valuable resource involved. Now, who would have thought that!

Nato involvement. Uh Uh. The UK is the most militarily involved country in NATO. It can barely maintain its committments, now, and some would say, cannot. The other NATO countries just dont want to know. So... no NATO.

But...this is yet another facet of the unfortunate face of modern Russian Nationalism. And it seems to be a hungry Nationalism. This will definitely be one conflict that should be watched closely. Sorry to any of our Russian friends on here but, wtf, you have as bad a taste in leaders, as we do. But your leaders lack the restraint of even our worst, who are restrained by the democractic instittutions that ...restrain them. It would seem.

Always two sides to a coin. But what Chesto is saying makes perfect sense. And I agree with the notion that this incident should be closely watched.

I was reading up on Drudge report some of the places that Russia has hit in Georgia. Seems like Russia is using the same strategy that the US used on Iraq.

hmm..think you may be mistaken there, timi. From 'The Little That I know', i think that Oesetia, the place in question, was part of Georgia; had been flooded with Russian nationals during the Russian Soviet Empire era; Georgia , on the collapse of the Russian Soviet Empire took what had been 'her's' back;Georgia would like to join NATO; the Russian 'Government', the present one, doesnt like it; and are using the presence of so many Russian nationals there as an excuse to go in mob handed. Plus, there might be oil, or some other valuable resource involved. Now, who would have thought that!

Southern Oesetia (which is what Georgia invaded) declared indepedence in 1990. The region that they attacked was primarily made up of Russians and Russian peace-keepers were killed in the act. S. Oesetia doesn't want to be a part of Georgia. Georgia killed Russian citizens. Like it or not, Russia is not the "bad guy" this time, if they ever have been.

Obviously they're trying to join NATO, do you think that this just happened overnight? They want to get the sympathy and aid from the West (Which they already have to some degree, the US has equipped and trained the Georgian military) so that they won't be completely squashed. I don't think you can overlook the fact that Georgia has one of the largest military presences in Iraq, and they've already said that they may have to withdrawl parts of their army from that region.

edit: I've found something that you might find interesting.

Taken from This article,

"At the request of Russia, the UN Security Council held an emergency session in New York but failed to reach consensus early Friday on a Russian-drafted statement. The council concluded it was at a stalemate after the U.S., Britain and some other members backed the Georgians in rejecting a phrase in the three-sentence draft statement that would have required both sides "to renounce the use of force," council diplomats said. "

So basically, Russia tried to get a cease-fire together, but thanks to the US, England, and other Western countries, it didn't happen.

Hello, guys! I would like to say that Russia did not attack Georgia! 07 august 2008 at 22:00 Georgia has attacked South Ossetia. At 3:30 08 august 2008 tanks of the georgian army have entered into city Tskhinvali (the South Ossetian capital). All the day long artillery bombardment of a city proceeded, fights with use of tanks, multiple rocket launchers and fighter aircrafts, both against ossetian army, and against peace inhabitants. The government of South Ossetia says that more than two thousand civil people already were lost. The republican clinical hospital in Tskhinvali was destroyed by artillery fire as well as the city most part. The university building burns.

They have attacked civilians at night! People in Russia have been shocked! Both, georgian and russian peacekeepers should watch peace and order in South Ossetia. But 07 august 2008 georgian officers and military observers from Georgia leave their posts of peacekeeping forces, referring to the command order. And then all that has begun.

The russian forces have arrived to South Ossetia only in the evening 08 august 2008 to protect russian peacekeepers and civilians from georgian army. No one in Russia wants this war! This is a provocation! :(

Sorry for my english - this is machine translation.

I was hoping that western people did not blindly believe in what the news info says. It is just simply outrageus that you are saying that the Russia attacked.

President of Georgia at the night before the Olympic games declared that he wants to peacefully resolve the conflict. Yet at the night Georgia attacked. Just imagine the scale of such a lie. It used weapons that by all means should not be used against civilians (system of rapid rocket fire GRAD). They statred killing everyone and even attacked the Russian peacemakers which by all international treatys is a direct act of war (yet i must underline it Russia HAS NOT DECLARED ANY KIND OF WAR against Gergia). First they destroyed the hospital, then the schools and goverment buildings, then everything else. The town is a ruin now.

At the same night Russian has assembled a United Nations Security Council on this matter. And what do you think the resoults was? Nothing. As if they didn't belive that it is happening. Two more times it was assembled and then the lies from Georgia continued. They used the video footage which depicted bombardment of the town, and declared that it is Russia. They are showing the destroyed town and saying that it is Russia. Russia is that, Russia is this, comon people grow up!

Now more than 2000 people (most of them had a Russian passport) of osetia are dead, many are hiding under the ruble of the destroyed town. Georgia destroyed the water damb, to flood the towns basements so that they could smoke out the civilians. Only now, after 2 days they agreed to give a safe corridor for the wounded people. Before that the ware shooting at everything that moves. They even attacked the only Amercian journalist teem, killed the two people, now the only remaining one is in the destroyed hospital where in basements with limited resources they are trying to save whoever and however they can. 3 Russian journalists ware also killed. It's not a war, it's a genocide of osetian people. A genocide that the west supports it seems.

Not only that there is an anti-russia information war as well. Everyone is blaming Russia that is only defending it's citizens. While Russia is the only goverment that realy helps, while other are flaping they lips.

You should have seen how a woman cryes over her dead son that was teared into pieces by GRAD.

My freind was sent to the conflict zone.

....The modern "civilized" world simply disqusts me.

At the end here are some vids for you

how the town now looks

A good explanation of what is happening

P.S. For those who still don't know *sigh* Putin is a prime minister now, Russian president is Dmitriy Medvedev. See, people are thinking that Putin is like Stalin or something.

Archived