⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Personal Experience VS "I read about it?

Fkemman11

There's a lot more to modding than just modding. Time is a big deal, taking the time to do something that you might want to do but have no real need to do. Motivating yourself is easier said than done. Finding it in yourself to see a project through to the end. It's a lot easier to start a modding project than it is to finish it. Anyone can start something, but few can finish.

And learning, learning isn't something to be taken for granted. Having the willingness to learn and put the effort into acquiring the knowledge you need to do the things you want to do... that might be the deal breaker for most people who try modding for the first time.

And if you can get it all together, then you need the confidence in yourself to release it to the public when you know in advance that a certain segment of that public is going to pee all over what you did.

The first time I opened the CK to try and do something for Skyrim, I was lost. I didn't understand the layout or where to find the files I needed or anything. So, I looked up tutorials on how to do some things. Tried doing some things and made a lot of mistakes. Felt really good when something I did or made (kinda) worked later.

Most people are respectful of authors. There are those few, though, that come along and because they know how (or think they know how) to do a few things- they start telling other users and mod authors how they should "fix" their game/mod and stuff. Like I said, doesn't happen often (especially now that everyone can be blocked access and their obnoxious post hidden). But, man when it does happen........I feel like Ralph- "POW!! To the moon, Alice!!"

Modding to me, is about constantly learning something new. The more that I learn- the more I understand how much I don't know and maybe never will. :geek:

Imo it depends on the mod. Making a level isn't so much hard as it is time consuming and you need to read instruction guides to know how to use the CK whereas writing custom scripts, textures that fit in with the world and don't stand out like a cartoon, writing dialogue, lore and quests in general etc etc, that's all hard to do well.

It's all depending on the subject, really. It can be very overwhelming from my few attempts at trying to mod myself.

Oh man, I LOVE IT when another "experienced modder" comes along and tries to make my advice to a new Skyrim modder look stupid by saying things like "I don't know why he is saying to use a merged or bashed patch? My game has always run fine without them!" !!! Yeah jackass, that's true if you're only running a handful of mods. For most other people that run more, those patches are essential to having a more stable game!!!! Not to mention all the things that you can edit with X-edit.

It doesn't matter how right you are, there's always someone out there who's going to tell you you're wrong. It's a lesson I learned. It's why I try to avoid giving any technical advice unless I'm actually asked, even on things I know like the back of my hand with absolute certainty. Because there is always someone who will come along and try to undercut you and make you look stupid, putting you in the position of having to defend the advice you gave.

I don't mind being called out when I'm wrong, and that happens. But when I'm not wrong... it's just not worth it.

I would not say a word to them if I were the mod author. That behavior doesn't deserve a response.

I know, I know. I spent several more posts trying to explain why and how patches between mods are made and merging mods. He was just being obtuse and I stopped.