Forum issues?

AlfredTetzlaff

I am using Mozilla FireFox 13.0.1. This is the only computer that I log into with my nexus account. I am the only one who uses this computer to check nexus. I haven't logged out in weeks. Any thread that I haven't checked in about 3 weeks show up as unread, regardless of whether or not there have been new replies.

Basicly what he said and the problem still persist

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed the problem does still persist. I can find no settings on my computer (of which, I am the only one that uses it) to explain the behavior. The debates forum tracks correctly. Apparently, NONE of the other sub forums do. Makes keeping track of threads somewhat difficult....... and the 'unread' indicators, pretty much useless. Forum functionality has declined substantially.

I use IE9. Hitting F12, then "Cache - Always refresh from server" seems to work most of the time.

Too bad it's not a persistent setting, so you have to invoke every time you start IE.

Using FF 13.0.1 and logging out of Skyrim Nexus and the Nexus Forums then clearing the cache and cookies didn't help me.

When I click on the NEW tag to the right of a forum it clears it but upon a refresh/reload it comes back.

I have not tried yet in any other browser, going to do some more testing on this and see if I can narrow it down.

EDIT: Well things are working properly under Maxthon 2.5 which uses the IE Engine Core. I now have to review the FF settings, there must be something I am missing in the settings.

Edited by BigBodZod

If you find it, please let me know.....

So far no go, it works fine under Maxthion 2 and 3 and IE9 as these all use the same engine.

Have not tired Chrome nor Opera yet however.

Other then this one thing, FF works fine on the forums, I also prefer it for the Nexus Mod Sites too but I may switch back to Maxthon for at least the forums so I can properly track unread posts.

EDIT: Not sure if this will help id the issue or not, but when I click on the NEW tag under FF I do not get an auto-refresh on the page like I do under Maxthon or IE.

Edited by BigBodZod

Imho, neither changing browsers or resetting the cache every time is a solution. This new cookie-based strategy is not working properly, it's as simple as that.

I understand that the guys here at the Nexus want to limit the bandwidth cost of this feature, and I like the idea of distributing the burden to the client computers, but the current solution simply negates the possibility to monitor comments, except once a day (in my case).

Still hoping they'll get to it sooner or later.

Yeah, I don't think enough people are reporting the issue for it to become important enough to use a different method. I have been unable to find a fix for it on my end. I am not going to change browsers, as I have one that I like, set up the way I like it. One site is not going to force me into something else as a workaround. Only ONE subforum here works properly.... which strikes me as REALLY odd. All the rest reset to all unread as soon as I navigate away.

I never log out or clear the cache and I'm still using an old FF5 (any version further and job-vital plugins become broken, so it's a no-go), I do have an up-to-date FF of the latest version in my Win7 virtual machine though, but this is no better either.

For quite some time the "Forum Rules And Strikes" forum was the only one remembering which of the topics I've read already. Then some day they all became unread all of a sudden out of nowhere.

Now it's like when I stay away from a topic for too long, it simply resets after a certain yet undetermined timespan. "Certain" topics even reset at random times, no matter if I just read them or it was several days ago since I last read them. The "Porting Content From Other Games" topic resets twice or maybe thrice as often as the others do, for example, and there was nothing new in it when I checked. Right now the last 4 or 5 pages of the ban notices remain marked "read", but at about page 6 and beyond it's all unread again. I know from experience there will come a point in time when they all will be marked "unread" again, no matter how recent, as it happened before, twice or thrice.

The marker just has no reliability whatsoever anymore, and its failure isn't even following specific rules or regularities. It pretty much feels just like random.

Not that it matters anything to me, I'm simply not paying it any attention anymore ever since it stopped working and use my memory to keep track. But the feature sure was there for a reason, a reason which it now no longer is fulfilling.