Porting a mod from inactive author

PsychoSlammer

Some one told me to port and upload to LL but I still feel that would be wrong to do. So it boils down to reading the fine print, spam the author or forget about it... :(

If it was on the Nexus report them. That's mod piracy and suggesting it is against the rules

Let's get back to the example of Cerwiden. Porting to SSE would not be copyright infringement if the author was given full credit and the gameplay of the mod was unchanged. I know some unscrupulous modders have sought to claim works as their own - that would be copyright infringement - but that is not the case when the port would still be in the author's name.

The author disappeared years before Nexus even considered the Caretaker idea for mods. The original understanding between the mod author and the Nexus of posting a mod on the Nexus Oldrim pages could be extended to the Skyrim SE Nexus pages. Public libraries did much the same thing when they made books available on microfiche and magnetic media.

Public libraries also require proper licensing from the publishers to do those things. Format shifting is not a protected act.

Porting an LE mod to SSE is basically the same thing. Without the author's approval, it's infringement. Period.

Public libraries also require proper licensing from the publishers to do those things. Format shifting is not a protected act.

University research libraries have books in their digital collections from publishers who went out of business many years ago.