Am I the bad guy ?

TheGadget1945

So to paint you a picture myself and a pal come back home fairly drunk. I log into the game and see that a nuke has been inbound nearby the Rusty Pick and ask him if he would like to see it. When I get there I am faced by a squad of Super Mutants and another player is nearby in X01 power armour. We wade into the mutants and kill them. He invites me to his team but being drunk I don't respond and don't have have my mic plugged in. He reponds "F*** you". Did I deserve this ?

I'd say telling someone 'F**k you' in an online game because they don't immediately respond with voice is a *bit* of an overreaction in my opinion, but then I suppose I'm not too savvy when it comes to internet customs. I'd say as long as you threw an emote his way, you're in the clear.

Edited by The_Friendly_Bandit

PLAY. It's not real life. It's pretend for play.

If someone acts real serious about what we are doing in the game they may have issues they need to find some resolve for, not you. They are like??? Gung Ho!

Ho ho ho!

So; go back and play.

I'd like to find more people who think and play like I do. That would make FO76 more fun, then. I could really get into taking the lead on teams to test my metal. I'd rather have a team who would like to take turns leading, because when we invite someone to Team up that makes us the Leader.

I think they struck a letter out of the word metal, to test your me*tal. It may be because someone suggested the other word described how my Platoon Commander was :devil: that way and then he proved it was true. Without giving it any thought he just, he just, he went me*tal on them.

re Post#1, short answer is: "No."

He invites me to his team but ... I don't respond and don't have have my mic plugged in. He reponds "F*** you". Did I deserve this ?

so, that was a "Negative Player Interaction".

it appears to be an instance of "Pre-Emptive Anti-Griefer Countermeasure --- 'sledging/guilt-trip".

also known as "Aesop's Sour Grapes".

Cue Dr Evil "Pre-Emptive Shh" meme...

see, gamers have stuff like;

"Stranger Danger" Audio-Quality Analysis <--- does |audio source| 'sounds like' likely to be a threat/annoying to me?

"Friend or Foe" <--- is player within Radius likely to be friendly, neutral or foe?

and Social Interaction Transactional Theory <--- what is |Username|'s prior interactions with me, were they friendly in the past etc?

it's all part of their "Anti-Griefer Countermeasures" suite.

It's the game equivalent of a "Fight or Flight" event.

gamers want to 'asymmetric win-condition' if possible, so as they are the ones who win.

-----

So, a lot of gamers, particularly in FO76 etc,

will assume that strangers are a potential adversary or griefer.

• 2 weeks later...

Somebody please help me understand this; I am in Flatwoods and have called in a Cargobot supply drop. As I run down to the town I see that a player has been marked as Wanted. He runs up to me and shouts "Dude kill me , please kill me". I ignore him and he fires shots at me which I ignore. He runs in front of me and shoots, still begging me to kill him but I just go about my business and at some point he disappears. I feel like he was trying to sucker me into something but what was it ?

I feel like he was trying to sucker me into something but what was it ?

it could have been, they 'just wanted to get that over and done with' if they had some mission etc.

it's when they don't have a wanted/bounty,

and they grief, they try to bait you into a 'flame war' etc.

that's been pretty rare thus far though I gotta say-

I was expecting a lot more PvP griefers than what has emerged.

I actually got a Wanted tag myself a couple of days ago. I found a really nice player house, just took a photo of it then thought "oh I can use the Stash box" as I had some valuable loot I didn't want to chance losing. So it was on the ground floor then I came back out and got attacked by a pack of dogs. His turrets opened fire on the dogs and I got caught in the crossfire then the next thing you know I have a Wanted tag on my head. I carried on for a while and some guy popped out of nowhere and killed me.

Somebody please help me understand this; I am in Flatwoods and have called in a Cargobot supply drop. As I run down to the town I see that a player has been marked as Wanted. He runs up to me and shouts "Dude kill me , please kill me". I ignore him and he fires shots at me which I ignore. He runs in front of me and shoots, still begging me to kill him but I just go about my business and at some point he disappears. I feel like he was trying to sucker me into something but what was it ?

You should have killed him, he was wanted by accident such as one stray round hit someones camp. If he requested it then it would have been a service.

You should have killed him, he was wanted by accident such as one stray round hit someones camp. If he requested it then it would have been a service.

That's possible of course, he could have become wanted by mistake as I mentioned I did earlier. But this is a survival game and what matters to me is my survival. I have the "Last Laugh" perk which makes me drop a hand grenade when I am killed, what if he had a Nuka Grenade on him ?