Can't install and run Script Extender SKSE

NicolV

Hi, i followed the instructions at the Tool Setup(https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/Tool_Setup:_Script_Extenders) but it doesn't seem to be working. I believe i understand the top level that's being referred to as the highest level of the folder before it changes the directory. I can launch the game from the script ext. but i can't launch it from Vortex. How can i set the launch options for this or is there something that i missed completely? I tried (or rather i believe i succeeded in installing script extender as per the norm.) before i noticed i still can't figure out how to set vortex or nmm to use the script ext.

Update:

Or i thought i could launch it normally via skse_loader.exe but that says it can't find the TESV.exe so then i went and renamed it to TESV and then it says please update Skyrim version.

In essence the Vortex Script ext. now works but now it says my Skyrim is outdated.

Final Fix: Seemed there were more archives to choose from than i knew, for anyone having it say that you need to update your skyrim check the other Script ext. files. After getting the correct file it now works in its full glory.

Edited by NicolV

Here's how min is set up, your Drive and Folder may differ

TARGET: D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\skse64_loader.exe

START IN: D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\

SKSE should be installed as per the instructions in the SKSE zip file

[ Installation ]
1. Copy the .dll and .exe files to your Skyrim SE directory. This is usually in your Program Files folder under Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\. If you see files named SkyrimSE and SkyrimSELauncher, this is the correct folder. Do not copy these files to the Data folder as with a normal mod. The "src" folder is only useful for programmers, most users can ignore it.
2. Copy the .pex files in Data\Scripts\ into the Data\Scripts\ folder of your installation. The .pex files are needed by all users of SKSE.

I'm having the same issue. I can install & run skse the old fashion way by copying the files to the SSE folder. Runs fine, tested version #. But when using the install instructions in Vortex, I can't get it to run from within Vortex. I get the error message: "Executable dosen't exist, please check the configuration for info tool". I'm sure I missed a step somewhere, but not sure where. Obviously, Vortex can't find the executable for SKSE. Instructions say to create a "data" folder, but it doesn't say where. Any help would be appreciated.

As a side note I'm finding Vortex better than NMM, the interface is much nicer. But there is a learning curve that I'm struggling with as far as installing tools like SKSE.

I'm having the same issue. I can install & run skse the old fashion way by copying the files to the SSE folder. Runs fine, tested version #. But when using the install instructions in Vortex, I can't get it to run from within Vortex. I get the error message: "Executable dosen't exist, please check the configuration for info tool". I'm sure I missed a step somewhere, but not sure where. Obviously, Vortex can't find the executable for SKSE. Instructions say to create a "data" folder, but it doesn't say where. Any help would be appreciated.

As a side note I'm finding Vortex better than NMM, the interface is much nicer. But there is a learning curve that I'm struggling with as far as installing tools like SKSE.

ADD TOOL.

Vortex-dashboard-add-tool.jpg

Click on the little Folder icon in the TARGET field,

Browse to Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition and select SKSE64_Loader.exe

Click OK, everything should be set.

Be sure to make it PRIMARY, by selecting the three little vertical DOts next to the play |> button, and select "Make Primary"

It should end up with a little banner on it, showing it's primary, which means it will run if you start SSE with Vortex. (See my screenshot to see FOSE is Primary with the little banner)

MAKE PRIMARY, shown below, it's the top selection, I put EDIT inside a red box for a different tutorial

Vortex-Edit-Tool.jpg

That works! And while it was very easy to do, it is completely different from the instructions included with Vortex. I didn't install it in the Mods section, by using the "Install from File" button @ the top, nor did I create a "data" folder (somewhere), all of which were part of the instructions. So it's not actually listed in my Mods list, as it was by following Vortex's instructions, but it works. Will this anyway impact the deployment of mods once I start installing, since your instructions (which worked) differ from the official Vortex instructions? Thanks so much for your help.

That works! And while it was very easy to do, it is completely different from the instructions included with Vortex. I didn't install it in the Mods section, by using the "Install from File" button @ the top, nor did I create a "data" folder (somewhere), all of which were part of the instructions. So it's not actually listed in my Mods list, as it was by following Vortex's instructions, but it works. Will this anyway impact the deployment of mods once I start installing, since your instructions (which worked) differ from the official Vortex instructions? Thanks so much for your help.

It shouldn't impact your other mods, as long as you've installed everything correctly.

THe install instruction for SKSE64 are in the SKSE zip file

[ Installation ]
1. Copy the .dll and .exe files to your Skyrim SE directory. This is usually in your Program Files folder under Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\. If you see files named SkyrimSE and SkyrimSELauncher, this is the correct folder. Do not copy these files to the Data folder as with a normal mod. The "src" folder is only useful for programmers, most users can ignore it.
2. Copy the .pex files in Data\Scripts\ into the Data\Scripts\ folder of your installation. The .pex files are needed by all users of SKSE.

Instructions say to create a "data" folder, but it doesn't say where. Any help would be appreciated.

Frankly, I like the installation procedure that HadToRegister described above. It's simpler, quicker, and less confusing than the Knowledge Base instructions. I'm glad your script extender is working for you.

Having said that, I embark on a purely academic exercise to answer the question, "Where and why the mysterious Data folder."

Once you have downloaded and installed (but not enabled) SKSE per the Vortex instructions, use "Open with file manager" to see the contents of what you have installed. What you'll see are two folders: a Scripts folder and a SKSE folder containing, among other things, the two required .dll's and the one required .exe files. What you will not see is a Data folder. So you'll have to create one then and there. Why? Because the Scripts folder needs to be in a Data folder so that Vortex will know to place the SKSE scripts into the game data folder labelled Scripts. Once you create the Data folder, you simply move the Scripts folder into it. You then fetch your two .dll's and one .exe files from the SKSE folder and place them on the same level as the Data folder. That means that you place them alongside the new Data folder, not inside it. This tells Vortex that those three files go into the game folder, not into the game data folder. You then delete the SKSE folder and its remaining contents. Now you should have four SKSE elements all on the same level: a Data folder, two .dll files, and one .exe file. Follow the rest of the Vortex Knowledge Base instruction and this should work, assuming you have configured correctly the script extender tool on the Vortex dashboard.

The Data folder doesn't need to be created, it already exists with Bethesda Games, the Scripts Folder Goes inside the Game DATA folder that contains all of the ESMS, ESPS etc.

It's correct that the Bethesda game data folder already exists. But the Data folder that the Knowledge Base instructions ask you to create is not redundant and unnecessary. You need it in order to tell Vortex what goes into the game data folder and what goes into the game folder. Otherwise, once you install your newly minted SKSE mod, Vortex will dump everything into either the game data folder or the game folder. ( I don't know which folder that would be, because I don't know which folder mod type "dinput" would select in this situation. "Dinput" is the mod type you must use if you're going to install your script extender per the Knowledge Base instructions.) Anyway, without that Data folder, the results would be - not good.

I myself do not use the Knowledge Base method because I find it cumbersome. However, when installing a script extender, I often use CTRL + LM to select and copy all the required script extender elements directly into the game folder. Those elements include the script extender Data folder, which in this case is neither redundant nor unnecessary.

In the future I may start using the Knowledge base method. While I find it cumbersome, it has at least one excellent feature. Since the script extender is packaged as a mod that can be installed, it can also be uninstalled, thus cleanly removing everything it installed with a simple click of the mouse. Nice!

Edited by Augusta Calidia

The Data folder doesn't need to be created, it already exists with Bethesda Games, the Scripts Folder Goes inside the Game DATA folder that contains all of the ESMS, ESPS etc.

It's correct that the Bethesda game data folder already exists. But the Data folder that the Knowledge Base instructions ask you to create is not redundant and unnecessary. You need it in order to tell Vortex what goes into the game data folder and what goes into the game folder. Otherwise, once you install your newly minted SKSE mod, Vortex will dump everything into either the game data folder or the game folder. ( I don't know which folder that would be, because I don't know which folder mod type "dinput" would select in this situation. "Dinput" is the mod type you must use if you're going to install your script extender per the Knowledge Base instructions.) Anyway, without that Data folder, the results would be - not good.

OH! I see, the instructions are for zipping up the Script Extender into a package that Vortex can install.

Right, because the Scripts folder would end up in the Root Game Directory rather in the "Skyrim Special Edition\Data\Scripts" folder