Help needed with NPC behaviour at Sanctuary

jcro25

Hi all,

I am currently experiencing an issue with my settlers in sanctuary which is driving me mad.

When in Sanctuary I have noticed that both settlers and other NPC's such as trashcan Carla behave strangely in relation to their AI. They will frequently leave what they are doing (assigned task) pull out there weapon and then charge off away from what they are doing. I believe this to be part of there 'aggro radius behaviour', but there is no neutral or hostile's in the area, so what could be causing this?

I have tried to turn off the 'aggro radius behaviour' in the settler AI packages but that doesn't seem to have had much, if any effect.

This issue is especially prevalent at night when they have finished there working schedule and begin to relax after work (20x8 relaxation package). They will sit down or eat/ drink and then suddenly engage in this very strange behaviour. I could understand if all the settlers were doing this, but it only seems to be 1 or two of them doing it at any time. Preston Garvey does not seem to be affected by this bug for some reason, neither do guards assigned to posts, but NPC's who have no real relation to the settlement such as trashcan Carla also are affected.

I have tried disabling any mods I have installed which affect NPC/ Settlers such as 'better settlers' & 'Settler sandbox overhaul' but this has not solved the issue.

Further to this I spent a while looking on the forums for any posts related to what I am describing here, but could not find anything on the issue at all :sad:

This issue is ruining the game for me as I love the settlement of Sanctuary, so if anyone could suggest something which may solve my issue it would be greatly appreciated! :nuke: :happy:

Edited by jcro25

do you have radchickens in sanctuary by any chance (i think it is unique creatures, by thirdstorm, that adds these in to the commonwealth, especially sanctuary, and the surrounding areas), i ask because it is possible they may be hostile towards said chickens, and its possible that garvey and your guards are not hostile because the chicken may be in the sanctuary faction, that could explain why they are hostile for no reason, what you could try is open the console click on carla for example, and type "Resetai" this should fix them (this is a skyrim command however, but i am pretty sure it should also work in fallout), however this will only be temporary.

i have seen raiders become hostile to radchickens (they were shooting em). which is why i believe that carla and others are also potentially hostile to them. (because of their faction)

Actually, AFAIK, Unique Creatures doesn't add them - Commonwealth chickens & rabbits does, Buuuut... Unique Creatures enhances the heck out of them (because it does so for the chickens and rabbits that appear in the FH-DLC, and that's what the CC&R is doing - ADDING those same critters to the Commonwealth). Thus, the two mods are extremely complimentary. What UC DOES add is squirrels... and BIG spiders.

And YES, sometimes settlers do go after chicks and bunnies... even my followers do it sometimes. Occasionally Unique Creatures will spawn a 'glowing' or 'rabid' variety, and they tend to be hostile automatically, which causes others in their 'faction' (be it rabbit, chicken, or squirrel) to also become hostile. I've seen a whole field of happy little bunnies suddenly all turn red on me... and Heather Casdin and Ada go running off like lunatics chasing them.

But when the raiders are too busy killing the chickens running around their camp to notice you sneaking in , well, thats just a whole lotta fun. I saw one chicken kill FOUR super mutants once... just proves who's dumber (they tend to nuke themselves with the CC&R mod installed).

BUT, if you don't have either one of those mods, sometimes the game spawns really weird crap in - or rather, under - Sanctuary. I've had some of those Star-Cores appear in my carrots, and in another play-through I had the Red Death appear in that same spot (just to the left of the bottom of the driveway of the house the workshop is at). Now, both of those things GLOW, and thats how I noticed them - I saw the glow coming through the ground at night. but if you have something that isn't glowing spawning just under the surface, it could be aggro'ing your NPCs. They'l run around like lunatics because they can't really get to where the thing is.

So the next time it happens, I would suggest using console and 'TCL' to 'go under' and take a look around.

Also, when using a mod that extends the Sanctuary build area, make sure to not add defences (like turrets) at the outskirts of the perimeter. Defence turrets are more sensitive to any near enemey and when alerted, they pass that to the NPCs in the settlement.

Hi all,

Thank you for the suggestions, it's much appreciated.

I tried numerous different console commands on the affected NPC's but had no luck, I resorted to sending the worst offenders to other settlements (whereby this issue did not persist) ensuring there was no water or food :devil: :devil: and then employing other settlers. This helped but still did not solve the issue.

At this point I was pulling my hair out, especially considering there is nothing about this issue on the web, so it must have been a mod conflict/ issue?

So I reluctantly turned all active mods off and played the game again... :ninja: this time the issue was gone :cool:

It turned out to be the mod Pack Attack NPC Edition - Gangs With Group Combat Tactics. Not blaming this mod as the root cause, possibly more of a conflict if anything? :confused: but either way, I'm very happy I can now walk around Sanctuary without NPC's drawing there weapons and charging every 10 seconds.

Thanks for coming back and relaying that info, Jcro25 - I have been considering 'pack attack' for awhile now, but I can see that I would likely have problems with it as well (because the sheer number of mods I have adds TONS of new creatures/NPCs, some of which have their own new factions).

As an aside to all this (in case I do ever decide to experiment), can anyone tell me which faction settlers are considered part of? The player's, or the Minutemen?