Which ending do you usually go for and why?

Dan3345

667 members have voted

1. 1. Which end do you generally strive for in the Mojave? Write why below.

• Caesars Legion
    • NCR
    • House
    • Independant New Vegas

You know, hopefully in Fallout 4, your character will be a "former Enclave" or at least come from a secluded Enclave family, that would be neat... Anyways one thing I didn't like in Fallout 3 is that the Enclave was portrayed as "ultimate evil" just because they are. At least the Legion under Caesar has a reason to criticize NCR for being corrupted and incompetent with their democracy.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Personally, ive never really enjoyed the endings. so, on that note, i decided i would make my own ending mod. It started as you killing mr. house, then killing the president, then killing yesman, and ending with you launching a nuclear bomb at the legion at the end of lonesome road. there are more parts to this, but currently i havent found the time to put it up on the nexus.

The first ending I did was the NCR, it felt right but after some time it felt wrong because they´re corrupt and blinded by money. Then I made House´ ending, but when Cass´ line came in the ending "We were going full speed ahead... but facing backwards the whole time" it didn´t feel right too. Also House wanted me to kill off the BoS, which is the immediate death sentence for anyone who gives this order. The Independent ending felt best for me, because it would turn out good in the long run. The Courier controlling the whole Mojave as a kind-hearted leader who defeats any threat to the people. I´m wavering about the decision to do Caesar´s ending, but he wants the BoS gone too and... well like I said before "immediate death sentence for anyone who gives this order".

You know, hopefully in Fallout 4, your character will be a "former Enclave" or at least come from a secluded Enclave family, that would be neat... Anyways one thing I didn't like in Fallout 3 is that the Enclave was portrayed as "ultimate evil" just because they are. At least the Legion under Caesar has a reason to criticize NCR for being corrupted and incompetent with their democracy.

This is exactly why Fallout 3 sucked. Because scrubs (Todd 'Ler' Howard) want to rehash iconic villains over and over again because they have a cool aesthetic.

I like to imagine that most of the Enclave troops weren't "ultimate evil" in Fallout 2. Their leaders wanted to wipe out everyone on the mainland, and lied to the troops to achieve it. The troops went to the mainland, and to be fair, ran across bands of roving super mutants, raiders, wanamingos, feral ghouls, and all manner of other nasties, it wouldn't be too hard to convince them that some sort of drastic action would be needed.

With that in mind, I think Bethesda missed a great opportunity for a Colonel Autumn ending to Fallout 3. He's power-hungry, but at the end of the day, he just wants to restore America. I think it would be an interesting moral choice to make, whether you decide to support a stable Capital region, with the Enclave keeping the roads safe and the people secure, but at the expense of it being a brutal military dictatorship if you step out of line.

Thank you Peadar!!! Someone else has finally said it. If I get the modding skills I'd like to change that part of Take It Back. Even if it means no Broken Steel. It's a happier ending for everyone. BoS and Enclave working together would civilize the Wasteland in a few years. Would love to see images of a restored Washington DC, or at least the Mall, with a new Congress being sworn in.

Thank you Peadar!!! Someone else has finally said it. If I get the modding skills I'd like to change that part of Take It Back. Even if it means no Broken Steel. It's a happier ending for everyone. BoS and Enclave working together would civilize the Wasteland in a few years. Would love to see images of a restored Washington DC, or at least the Mall, with a new Congress being sworn in.

I don't think they'd work together! I think the choice would have to be between destroying the BoS, because you think the Enclave is the best hope of wiping out the Super Mutants, or sticking with the BoS. That's why I would have preferred it if the "main" BoS were the tech-worshipping assholes, like the Outcasts, and the guys using their power armour and lasers for good were the ones cast out by their brothers, battled into a corner, and fighting just to survive.

Then your final choices could be:

-Poison the water for President Eden (who I'd prefer not to be a computer, but that's just me!), because you're a dick.

-Turn on the purifier and side with Colonel Autumn, which would give the Enclave huge power over the normal citizens of the wasteland, which would more or less guarantee a brutal but stable police state. Help the Enclave wipe out the two factions of the BoS.

-Side with the main BoS, who are only after the purifier because it's interesting tech, and to stop the Enclave achieving their goals. You'd then have to fight the Enclave, and maybe broker a peace agreement between them and the "boy scout" outcasts (or ignore them or wipe them out, if you felt like it). The BoS go on, business as usual, looking for tech, and the wastelanders are left looking out for themselves. Whether or not this works out well or terribly depends on if you've helped places like Megaton, Rivet City and Canterbury Commons.

-Side with the outcasts, who in this storyline are led by Elder Lyons. They don't have many resources, and have poorly-armed and trained wastlanders fighting alongside them. They have to defeat the Enclave, and either hold off or negotiate peace with the main Brotherhood (who see them as traitors, who have stolen weapons and armour that rightfully belong to the "true" Brotherhood). And even then, they don't have the military power to keep the whole wasteland safe and secure in the same way the Enclave could.

I think that would make a great story, you'd have four factions who hated each other, and you could either go in all guns blazing, play them off against each other, and have to make a complex decision at the end of the game. You should have to work really hard for the "good" ending, which would probably be: Side with the outcasts, defeat the Enclave, negotiate peace with the Brotherhood, and get their help to keep the wasteland safe in return for using that security to help them search for lost technologies. You'd need awesome combat skills, high speech, charisma, intelligence, science and so on. It wouldn't be handed to you on a plate.

Stuff like this is what really frustrates me about Fallout 3. It was so close to being a great game in the way I feel New Vegas is, but it has too many little niggly issues I don't like, so I only ever feel that it's very good.

Edited by peadar1987

• 1 month later...

Seems most players miss the obvious - Fallout New Vegas is the US conquest of the South West in the 1840s done in reverse. The game even drives it in with the NCR citizens talking about "back west" (real life westerners talk about "back east") The NCR army is playing the role of the US Cavalry during the Indian Wars (Shady Springs is just a replay of the Wounded Knee massacre,) the NCR administration of the Mohave is a mixture of visionaries, human trash being warehoused safely away from the real power, political grifters and the occasional competent just like US government in the historical West was. The Great Khans and the Fiends are playing the part of the Indians (well, at lest Hollywood Indians) the New Vegas inhabitants are the Spanish Colonist and the local Europeans. Caesars Legion is Santa Anna, at lest how Santa Anna went down in American mythology (Santa Anna saw himself as the Napoleon of the Western Hemisphere, and Napoleon saw himself as the 18th century version of Julius Caesar)

Looking at it that way NCR victory is inevitable and a necessity for New Vegas. New Vegas needs to NCR for their money and army, even if they don’t want the taxes and laws that go with it (the classic Western “Sure the Army protected my family from the Indians, feed us when the locus ate our crops and the government subsidized the railroads that made farming viable and gave us the land for free BUT we never took a hand out from anyone and don‘t need no govermunts“) So I see the characters job is managing that transition. After all it’s pretty clear the powers that be in The Hub and the NCR settlers will screw the locals if The Hub isn’t convinced the locals can bite back.

Going for a Caesar Legion victory is pointless - as it's been pointed out it's over for the legion after Sallow/ Caesar dies. Once the Legion is gone the NCR wins just by sheer weight of numbers and economic interests so even an independent Vegas is futile in the long run.

Edited by RJLbwb

• 3 months later...

Personally, I didn't like ANY ending in this fallout. Every significant choice is filled with a stupid amount of moral ambiguity. I wish there was a western chapter of Lyon's Pride.