Those "What have I done?" Moments

ClonePatrol

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apart from the stories already mentioned, I have a "What am I about to do?!" moment to add:

The character I play with most is a thief. As far as criminals go, he would consider himself to be not such a bad person though. After all, he regularly gives at the temple, he plucked two homeless children from the streets and gave them a lovely new home in beautiful Riften and last but not least he agrees to the Guild's rule about killing, so his bodycount is rather low. He does, however, not have any qualms about waltzing into someones house and robbing them blind, he's a thief after all and business is business. ... That is, until that fateful day when Delvin told him that the Guild had a job to steal a shiny emerald from a woman called Cairine, who had just inherited the trinket.

My thief went to Markarth to look for Cairine and, eventually, he found her, in the Warrens, in rags, a poor beggar who could not even afford a room in the Warrens but lived in the hallway. My thief realized that if he stole that emerald, the poor woman would probably be doomed to live in misery all her life - and we both felt a pang of guilt. Still a job is a job, so in the end my thief pickpocked the emerald from Cairine but replaced it with the nicest dress money could buy, a bag of good food and more than double the trinket's worth in gold. He still felt like a horrible person for having robbed that poor woman, but at least his conscience was a little lighter.

Apart from the stories already mentioned, I have a "What am I about to do?!" moment to add:

The character I play with most is a thief. As far as criminals go, he would consider himself to be not such a bad person though. After all, he regularly gives at the temple, he plucked two homeless children from the streets and gave them a lovely new home in beautiful Riften and last but not least he agrees to the Guild's rule about killing, so his bodycount is rather low. He does, however, not have any qualms about waltzing into someones house and robbing them blind, he's a thief after all and business is business. ... That is, until that fateful day when Delvin told him that the Guild had a job to steal a shiny emerald from a woman called Cairine, who had just inherited the trinket.

My thief went to Markarth to look for Cairine and, eventually, he found her, in the Warrens, in rags, a poor beggar who could not even afford a room in the Warrens but lived in the hallway. My thief realized that if he stole that emerald, the poor woman would probably be doomed to live in misery all her life - and we both felt a pang of guilt. Still a job is a job, so in the end my thief pickpocked the emerald from Cairine but replaced it with the nicest dress money could buy, a bag of good food and more than double the trinket's worth in gold. He still felt like a horrible person for having robbed that poor woman, but at least his conscience was a little lighter.

Equivalent exchange. The best way to do it and still feel good about yourself.

@TheLoreSeeker: "Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only truth." And then they changed their minds. :biggrin:

Anska, that was one great moment. And she ended up better than before, imo. Unless the gem was of sentimental value, the only memento of a lost loved one... <insert eternal guilt>

For me, it was during the rebellions assault on whiterun. I was married to Aela at the time, so I have her with me in this fight. The exact details are long and boring, so I'll get to the point. I enter whiterun, turn around to talk to my wife, and see she is not there. I run all around whiterun, maybe at some point she went inside? I end the search at my house, and realize exactly what must have happened. You see, skyrim's engine can only handle so many bodies, I imagine that some must have magically disappeared in the fight. Including Aela's.

The next five minutes of real world time was spent 'fus-ro-dah' ing everything in my house, attacking the walls with my sword, and wondering

"what have I done, bringing my wife into this fight?"

I then promptly loaded up a save before that entire fight and sent her back home.

The Silver Hand are also targeting other werewolves who may be peaceful but even worse they target ordinary people they suspect. Their dungeons are full of dead/tortured people not just werewolves.

The real reason for that I think is that the game just takes regular bandit areas and changes the names of the enemies to Silver Hand out of laziness.

But regular bandit areas don't have werewolf heads on spikes, torture implements and dead people on dissecting tables. If there are dead people, they are usually sprawled somewhere like they'd been looted and killed, not laid out on tables near tools that could have been used for experimentation described in the book physicalities of werewolves. Besides, such victims are present in pre-determined Silver Hand bases too, like Gallows Rock which is not a radiant location.