Those "What have I done?" Moments

ClonePatrol

When it comes to Fellglow keep, I have no regrets. Those mages attacked me on sight, when someone attacks me there are only two possible outcomes. Either they die, or I die. That's a state of affairs I have no problem with, if someone is willing to kill me then they deserve what they get.

The Forsworn conspiracy is a lot more gray, but in the end I see killing the King in Rags as the right option. The Forsworn got screwed, I understand where they're coming from. On the other hand, the Forsworn as a whole are savage, marauding murderers who attack people on sight for no justifiable reason. The Forsworn claim they want their land back, fine. Killing innocent people in gruesome ways is not a good way to make me sympathetic to their cause however.

My bottom line is this, the Forsworn fought and they lost, they're done. I wouldn't have any problem with them getting their land back, but they haven't done a damn thing to earn it, instead they've become a serious threat to innocent people and that's where I draw the line. The Forsworn can complain about injustice all they want, the fact is they've commited countless atrocities themselves. They're no better than the Nords, in fact you can easily argue that they are much, much worse.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is still a lot of work to do for this "open world" or better yet "open decision game" most fans of these types of games are craving for.

You are making a very good general point, why is somebody immediately my enemy? we certainly understand why the undead attack us (they generally dont like the living desecrating their places of rest) and also why the machinations of dwemer attack (security protocols) but what about bandits or mages?

especially in your case, it should be possible to talk with the caller sooner (by asking one of her "subordinates" for a "audience") and try to negotiate for the books without unnecessary bloodshed. After killing everybody and then saying "ups sorry my bad" is pretty weak.

We are on the road though and I hope that we havent seen the best yet.

++

We are missing huge opportunities for the Speech tree here. Why can't we parlay with random bandits/mages/whoever, right? With a high enough skill you might even be able to negotiate to trade with them. I'm sure those lonely isolated groups wouldn't mind swapping some extra furs or whatever for coin with a non-hostile passer-by (i.e. the player, provided you attempt to talk to them).

Heck, we should have a whole journal tab dedicated to "gossip", which you could also "trade". This would make the random dialog you hear from NPCs actually have some use. Like say you could wander around Whiterun and hear some interesting things, and then later on approach some bandits and then trade them for this info. I'm sure SOME of them would be interested in the goings-on in the world, after all it's just prudent. Simply killing anyone approaching on sight is pretty stupid, it makes more sense that they would give you a chance to say what you want if you don't simply approach them with sword in hand.

Man, think of the THINGS we could do with the currently not very useful speechcraft tree...

So, you know how Alduin has a custom Storm Call that summons a meteor shower? I read on the wiki that you can counter it with Clear Skies, to which my reaction was: "Why in Sheogorath's name would I want to do that? Fighting a dragon in a meteor shower is awesome!"

So instead I hunted down all three Storm Call shouts, and then when the final battle was at hand, I made sure to use it at the same time as Alduin. The result was me fighting a black dragon in the realm of the dead, in the middle of a huge rainstorm with massive bolts of lightning and meteors raining from the sky. It was the most epic thing ever.

Then, after I won, I noticed that the beautiful Sovngarde sky was clouded over. "Well, I can fix that," I thought, and used Clear Skies.

Nothing happened.

I tried again. Still nothing.

Well... Ops? Looks like I broke the sky. Maybe you're not actually supposed to use Storm Call in Sovngarde?

It was still cloudy when I left, and now I worry I might have accidentally doomed to fallen Nords to an eternity of bleak overcast skies. :confused:

Edited by Relativelybest

Recently I acquired Borgakh as a follower after paying her dowry for 42 gold. She immediately died in a warzone, and when I arrived at Dragon Bridge a courier gave me a letter of inheritance for 300 gold.

I ended up making 258 gold for a follower dying.

Although my character is now a paragon of virtue, he has a dark past . . . he murdered his first housecarl in a daedric ritual.

Other regrets?

Finding some revellers on the road, and not wanting to take their mead because I thought they might have doped or poisoned it . . . then the encounter was bugged for the rest of the game. On one of my numerous trips past them I happened to be in beast form and ended up tearing all their heads off, which ended up piled in a little cairn next to the side of the road.

Once savaged a travelling farmer as a werewolf, I now try to avoid innocents while in beast form. My followers, also transformed, have eviscerated that wandering bard and the guy carrying the fork looking for some kind of celebrity chef.

I would also rather not have to brutalise every predator, bandit, roaming conjurer or other rogue creature I come across . . . thankfully I have a mod that makes dragons friendly after the main questline, so I no longer have to kill every dragon I find. Wolves are also friendly.

I did shoot an artic fox the other day with an explosive crossbow bolt; I felt so guilty looking at the charred, pitiful little corpse. Worst thing was the effect also burned away the pelt I was hunting for, won't be killing any more animals for their skins.

Edited by Sierra312

he murdered his first housecarl in a daedric ritual.

...an ordinary day for my character

Maybe the biggest regret for her would be discovering and befriending Serana :rolleyes:

Til that faithful night she had no idea there could be someone more favored by her lord.

Now she is just jealous :whistling:

Edited by k361

Maybe the biggest regret for her would be discovering and befriending Serana :rolleyes:

Til that faithful night she had no idea there could be someone more favored by her lord.

I definitely regret it, as murdering somebody in cold blood is out of character for my Redguard Knight, but I got to participate in a fun quest, disposed of an annoyance who would otherwise darken my doorstep in Breezehome or otherwise vex me greatly whilst adventuring, as Lydia is hardly a companion you are able to choose.

I also regret joining the College of Winterhold, again out of character but I just wanted some quests to do. Turns out they were fairly mediocre and uninteresting quests anyway. I've become quite the character player.

I definitely regret it, as murdering somebody in cold blood is out of character for my Redguard Knight, but I got to participate in a fun quest, disposed of an annoyance who would otherwise darken my doorstep in Breezehome or otherwise vex me greatly whilst adventuring, as Lydia is hardly a companion you are able to choose.

I also regret joining the College of Winterhold, again out of character but I just wanted some quests to do. Turns out they were fairly mediocre and uninteresting quests anyway. I've become quite the character player.

wait...the sacrificed housecarl was..L..Lydia? :ohmy:

I regret College of Winterhold everytime I have to go there as simply that questline is just illogical :down:

Well my character is a worshipper of Molag Bal so guess her heart became corrupted overtime , if she ever had one that is :thumbsup:

Edited by k361