Those "What have I done?" Moments

ClonePatrol

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, there are some really good ones in here.

Another one I have remembered was hunting a mammoth, simply to test how strong I was. I snuck up and shot it with an arrow, then it and the surrounding giants turned on me and tried to kill me, so I fled until they stopped chasing me, returned at tried again. I repeated this until the mammoth was dead, so I went over and looted the corpse, and it had nothing of use to me. I then realised that I had slain a giant, peaceful creature simply because I wanted to see how strong my character was.

Right after being turned into a Vampire lord, my level 51 mage decided he'd finally free Thorald from the Thalmor, since he was right there anyway (and the civil war was long over). So he turned into a vampire lord and quite casually floated around the Thalmor prison, destroying them all and leveling up his vampire perks.

Then he stood in the carnage back in human form and he - or rather, I - got pretty uncomfortable. This guy has been a (normal) vampire for 40 levels or so, an unrepentant Daedra worshiper, cannibal, and Dark Brotherhood purist, but until that moment he hadn't been a monster. In a moment of self-awareness he retired from the Dovahkiin business and set up house in Morthal to while away the rest of his vampire life in obscurity, murdering only for noble reasons.

@AnkhAsendant....I find it pretty hard to sympathize with the Thalmor myself.....they imprison and torture innocent people in that prison, all for choosing to pray to some deity they want to worship.....My Dovahkin goes consistently Werewolf for the releasing Thorald quest and the destroying the DB quest....basically anyone my Dovahkin feels is really evil and beyond redemption....his something of a The Punisher/Judge Dredd hybrid of the the two.

When it comes to releasing Thorald I bring Stenvar, Mjoll, Benor, Hoth, Farkas, Vilkas (basically any 2hd Nord follower) and let them "purge" Northwatch Keep. I just stand there and watch the carnage of impaled, crushed and decapitated Thalmor. Stenvar is pretty good at talking smack as he's giving them the beatdown too.

When you add in Avulstein's posse, it's complete chaos with people tripping over each other to get the killing blow.

Edited by fraquar

Oh sure, the Thalmor are bad people and a terrible political regime, but they're still people. I wouldn't mind assassinating them, since that has a certain dignity to it, but they deserve better than to be moving targets while I float around and Drain Life on everything in the vicinity. (Also, I'm an imperial sympathizer. I don't mind wiping out Stormcloak camps at all. All your Nord armies will fall before me :P )

I actually think it's something about the Vampire Lord form. I've never played as a werewolf but it might be the same for me... or maybe not since you become a beast and not something that think it's above people... I don't mind murder and assassination between equals, but when I turn into something inhuman and slaughter them all like animals, that's too far.

My Dovahkin wouldn't do that to animals....their not wanton murderers like the Thalmor or DB.... :tongue: ....Going for the whole eye for and eye RP with him.

I haven't played a Vamp, so not sure what their like to play myself....am always the eternal Werewolf....I like the primal, natural and....'alive'.... :turned: ....feel about the Werewolf....is still very much an unstoppable power house of muscle, claws and teeth (mods a real Werewolf make.... :happy: ...)....so I don't know if it would make that much difference as to how you would feel afterwards...but yes, your right, Werewolves do not share the Vampire arrogance.

Edited by StayFrosty05

Decided to go back through this and realized I never really replied to anyone in this thread, though I have been reading it over time. Some of the examples people give are really good, exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for.

I know it's been a while since I made it, but I wanted to respond to what I think is the main criticism of my first post (and it applies to several others people have made on here, I think): That the Dragonborn doesn't really have any choice but to kill various NPCs when he goes into their "bases", that even if he isn't brandishing a weapon they still attack him. I don't really know about other people on here but I was born, raised, and have only really lived for any significant amount of time in places with no-duty-to-retreat Castle Laws. The term has it's origins in English Law, but I do live stateside:

And the law of England has so particular and tender a regard to the immunity of a man's house, that it stiles it his castle, and will never suffer it to be violated with immunity: agreeing herein with the sentiments of ancient Rome, as expressed in the works of Tully; quid enim sanctius, quid omni religione munitius, quam domus unusquisque civium? (What more sacred, what more strongly guarded by every holy feeling, than a man's own home? - Cicero)

I've always known, that if somebody breaks into a place where somebody else is living, the law allows the person that lives there to kill the intruder for it (as long as that person is still inside the residence). That's pretty much what the Dragonborn does though, breaking into the caves, keeps, camps, redoubts (i.e. forts) that people are living in for one reason or another. When he gets immediately attacked for just walking in to Fellglow Keep uninvited, it doesn't so much strike me as the mages there doing anything wrong because the Dragonborn was the invader, they were defending their home against somebody who could be perceived as a very real threat.

I'm pretty sure the mage's at Fellglow will warn the player off if he approaches them slowly too, and will only attack once he's too close to, or within, their outer walls. A lot of enemies do that as long as you keep your distance. "Don't get any closer" and if you do they attack, or they may attack if you get too close (or within their boundaries) without being warned first. As for the Forsworn attacking all the time: the Forsworn are involved in guerrilla warfare, the Reach is an active war-zone. It would be nice if more of them were peaceful with the Dragonborn after he helps Madanach, but how can they really be expected to know who you are? It always seemed to me like if you don't want to be attacked by them you should be able to just put on their uniform (that Madanach gives you once you've helped him), the 'Armor of the Old Gods', and they'd leave you alone as you move through their lands (but maybe be attacked by their enemies instead). After all, you can't exactly just walk around a war zone IRL wearing civvies (especially ones that may be associated with the enemy) and expect to be left alone by the combatants. Sadly the game doesn't work like that, but it'd be nice.

Maybe it's weird that I see the Dragonborn as the aggressor or the at fault party in many of those situations, but I can kind of see where the people attacking him are coming from.

I don't really feel bad for the Falmer at all though, since the TES universe has a pretty nifty color coded souls thing for figuring what's more or less questionable to kill. The Falmer used to be just elves, there are two survivors in Dawnguard that can be met. But with the experimentation that was done on them by the Dwemer they devolved into beats and their souls were somehow downgraded from black to white (with the strength depending on the type). They don't really seem to have any speaking skills anymore, the Falmer language seems to be a dead language (they can't even see, so the written word at the least doesn't hold much value to them). They seem like more... incredibly hostile and savage apes with a deserved reputation for being that monster that goes bump in the night. Most of my Dragonborn have killed all of them that they can so they can't leave their ruins (though I have had some characters sneak past) on the basis that the Falmer kill pretty much any non-Falmer they can find (apparently including most of the last living still-very-much-elven Falmer that lived at the Chantry of Auri-El). I would be curious to find out what would happen to an infant Falmer raised among the surface people on non-toxic food though.