Taking down the GameFront files

Dark0ne

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #67276051.

stillguns wrote: Oh wow, this happened just days ago, god damn it. There were some things I would have liked to have downloaded, now I can't.

The files are still available at GameFront.com

yeah this is all cool but what happens when theres a mod that's not on that site anymore? like the HK47 saber melee mod for KOTOR? I will never understand the insanity that is the modding community...who cares where something is hosted as long as the original creator is given credit...now certain files can be f*#@ed and lost forever if say someone is not modding anymore and hasn't reuploaded the mod...but I guess that's cuz I don't have the talent to create...

...but I guess that's cuz I don't have the talent to create...

'zactly.

If it were your work involved, you might feel differently about where and how it was being made available. And we here at the Nexus have a very strong prejudice toward protecting authors' rights regarding their works. Some might say overly protective, but we feel that's better than the contrary. :wink:

In response to post #67276051. #67276146 is also a reply to the same post.

stillguns wrote: Oh wow, this happened just days ago, god damn it. There were some things I would have liked to have downloaded, now I can't.
Zaldiir wrote: The files are still available at GameFront.com

now all of them are now available, some was removed with copirtight claims by greedy publishers and developers of games. some just lost for some reason, so removing whole archive was bad idea, also they may die again and what would you do than, what would we do? Having 2nd backup soruce is always good! I uploaded some mods on Gamefront and i feel ok if they will be backedup at nexus even if i did not upload them here.

In response to post #67320831.

Thandal wrote:

'zactly.

If it were your work involved, you might feel differently about where and how it was being made available. And we here at the Nexus have a very strong prejudice toward protecting authors' rights regarding their works. Some might say overly protective, but we feel that's better than the contrary. :wink:

the biggest problem is when nexus was the only place where it seems many of these mods where left, I can count 10 mods alone today that nexus had here that are no longer on that site or anywhere...now they all screwed because some site wants to get butthurt that the internet does what the internet does(what they should have done was simply say "yeah, we let nexus host them too cuz they are cool with us, helped us and are the best damn mod site in the world, anyone else can f*** off")...they should be as grateful as the users that you guys hosted this stuff for them, and I can say without fail that anything I would ever do on the internet would ether be hidden from everyone for my own use, or open for everyones use so long as im not charging money for it...and then it would end up on (oh sorry) "random famous theft site" anyways...I don't really care about the mods that are still over on that site, this is about the total destruction of many mods that where here was the last place they were...but what do I know, im just a mod user, not a modder, so my opinions(that im sure no one shares) don't matter and I should just F off...i atleast agree with most here that gaining a working relationship about hosting that stuff should at least be sought out...to avoid future problems should they go down again... Edited by TheVambrony

@TheVambrony; Instead of complaining about what others do, or don't do, with their own or others' works, maybe just be grateful that the people who make the mods are willing to share them at all. And for free. :thumbsup:

In response to post #67320831. #67322236, #67326511 are all replies on the same post.

Thandal wrote:

'zactly.

TheVambrony wrote: the biggest problem is when nexus was the only place where it seems many of these mods where left, I can count 10 mods alone today that nexus had here that are no longer on that site or anywhere...now they all screwed because some site wants to get butthurt that the internet does what the internet does(what they should have done was simply say "yeah, we let nexus host them too cuz they are cool with us, helped us and are the best damn mod site in the world, anyone else can f*** off")...they should be as grateful as the users that you guys hosted this stuff for them, and I can say without fail that anything I would ever do on the internet would ether be hidden from everyone for my own use, or open for everyones use so long as im not charging money for it...and then it would end up on (oh sorry) "random famous theft site" anyways...I don't really care about the mods that are still over on that site, this is about the total destruction of many mods that where here was the last place they were...but what do I know, im just a mod user, not a modder, so my opinions(that im sure no one shares) don't matter and I should just F off...i atleast agree with most here that gaining a working relationship about hosting that stuff should at least be sought out...to avoid future problems should they go down again...
Ethreon wrote: "I deserve mods because I say so"

you don't.

I understand you're upset but I'd say, as the article also says, that we did actually take the approach you suggest for well over a year, before it came to this due to unfortunate bad apples.

Also people can work with us. Nothing at all has been lost from GF unless modders have asked us to take stuff down. If you feel something is missing that should not be, as it was on here, you can let me or another team member known on the site and I 100% guarantee it'll be in our DB somewhere, and we can make it available.

Don't be afraid to ask and we'll get it sorted.