Vortex removing mods, not uninstalling just gone

CyrusFyre

Sometimes mods that are green in the mods list aren't in the plugins list. Redeploying the mods does not solve this, only actually uninstalling and then reinstalling the mod fixes it because Vortex seems to think that it is installed even though the plugin is not there. This has happened multiple times. It usually happens when I'm installing or uninstalling mods.

Looking at the Staging Folder it seems to actually be deleting the plugins and the remaining files and folder are still present. For instance an armour mod will be missing the esp but the meshes and textures folders are still there.

Sometimes mods that are green in the mods list aren't in the plugins list. Redeploying the mods does not solve this, only actually uninstalling and then reinstalling the mod fixes it because Vortex seems to think that it is installed even though the plugin is not there. This has happened multiple times. It usually happens when I'm installing or uninstalling mods.

Looking at the Staging Folder it seems to actually be deleting the plugins and the remaining files and folder are still present. For instance an armour mod will be missing the esp but the meshes and textures folders are still there.

Some mods are only texture and/or mesh replacers that don't have an ESP associated with them.

Posting which mods aren't showing up in the plugins list would be very helpful, also, read this to format a better help request please. How to post/request support for vortex

It had an esp. I apologize for not providing enough information. Let me try this the right way. :wink:

Vortex version 0.16.15

Skyrim Special Edition

344 mods many of which are texture/mesh replacers with no plugins, 261 Plugins 21 of which are ESPFE and 1 is a light ESM

I am running Windows 10 Pro and x64 with a 32GB of RAM and an Intel Core i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20 GHz

The mod that most often does this is one of my own making but I've had it do it once before to four mods at once. The mods were Ars Metallica, Trade and Barter Lite, Nordic Cooking and my mod which is an Armour Compilation mod combining community made armours with some personal adjustments and added by hand to a single esp which, as a result, will NEVER be published out of respect for the original mod authors.

The mods section had all four as green but when I checked none of them were actually in the plugins list. Ars Metallica and Nordic Cooking had empty folders in the Staging folder and the Armour Compilation and Trade and Barter Lite had the meshes/textures and scripts folders respectively but not the esps. (I suspect the reason Nordic Cooking's was empty is because it only has an esp but that does not explain Ars Metallica). Of course this meant that redeploying the mods did nothing so I reinstalled them and that solved it for them. The custom mod has done it twice since but each time I've made adjustments to it in the CK first. It had been prompting me to save my changes upon redeploying but the last two times it has not, perhaps resulting in what occurred? The other three I have not altered in any way.

I hope that helps. I'm not exactly sure what needs to be done on my end at this point. Just making sure the mods are all installed I guess which Skyrim will happily inform me of if I try to load a save with a missing esp. It does not happen often but it has happened. But if there is something I can do to prevent this, if it is user error I'd be happy to follow instructions and fix it. Either way, thanks.

It had an esp. I apologize for not providing enough information. Let me try this the right way. :wink:

Vortex version 0.16.15

Skyrim Special Edition

344 mods many of which are texture/mesh replacers with no plugins, 261 Plugins 21 of which are ESPFE and 1 is a light ESM

I am running Windows 10 Pro and x64 with a 32GB of RAM and an Intel Core i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20 GHz

The mod that most often does this is one of my own making but I've had it do it once before to four mods at once. The mods were Ars Metallica, Trade and Barter Lite, Nordic Cooking and my mod which is an Armour Compilation mod combining community made armours with some personal adjustments and added by hand to a single esp which, as a result, will NEVER be published out of respect for the original mod authors.

The mods section had all four as green but when I checked none of them were actually in the plugins list. Ars Metallica and Nordic Cooking had empty folders in the Staging folder and the Armour Compilation and Trade and Barter Lite had the meshes/textures and scripts folders respectively but not the esps. (I suspect the reason Nordic Cooking's was empty is because it only has an esp but that does not explain Ars Metallica). Of course this meant that redeploying the mods did nothing so I reinstalled them and that solved it for them. The custom mod has done it twice since but each time I've made adjustments to it in the CK first. It had been prompting me to save my changes upon redeploying but the last two times it has not, perhaps resulting in what occurred? The other three I have not altered in any way.

I hope that helps. I'm not exactly sure what needs to be done on my end at this point. Just making sure the mods are all installed I guess which Skyrim will happily inform me of if I try to load a save with a missing esp. It does not happen often but it has happened. But if there is something I can do to prevent this, if it is user error I'd be happy to follow instructions and fix it. Either way, thanks.

At this point I'm going to hazard a guess that Vortex doesn't support more than 255 ESPs, whether they're Light ESMs, or ESPFEs, because it was never a consideration to have more than 255 because the Gamebryo engine can't handle that many

So, Vortex, being written around that 255 ESP limit, probably can't handle more than 255 of anything?

Hopefully Tannin42 will jump in here and clarify

Possibly. But it still doesn't explain the removal of Ars Metallica and the other three. I should have explained further, and again I apologize, but at that time I only had 218 plugins (esps, esms, espfes and esl's combined and not counting them of course). The reason for the jump in plugins is because I recently added Beyond Skyrim: Bruma, Legacy of the Dragonborn and Ambriel. Bruma and Legacy require a LOT of patches to work with the other mods I have sooo… lol With the exception of Vortex being flexible with some of my mods my game is (surprisingly) stable. And really pretty. Mod authors are amazing. ^_^ And so far so good for now. It seems to be behaving and I've had to start and stop the game (RL *sigh*) several times last night and all the mods stayed put. Overall I still really like Vortex, much better than NMM was. It would be cool if we could endorse mods directly from Vortex like we could with NMM though. That's a feature I do miss.

It would be cool if we could endorse mods directly from Vortex like we could with NMM though. That's a feature I do miss.

You can endorse from Vortex. Go to Mods Tab > Actions (upper right, gear thingy) > Endorsed (toggle switch). Toggle "Endorsed" and voila! You have a column for endorsing your mods.

It would be cool if we could endorse mods directly from Vortex like we could with NMM though. That's a feature I do miss.

You can endorse from Vortex. Go to Mods Tab > Actions (upper right, gear thingy) > Endorsed (toggle switch). Toggle "Endorsed" and voila! You have a column for endorsing your mods.

So you can! Nice! Somehow I completely overlooked that. Thanks!

Possibly. But it still doesn't explain the removal of Ars Metallica and the other three. I should have explained further, and again I apologize, but at that time I only had 218 plugins (esps, esms, espfes and esl's combined and not counting them of course). The reason for the jump in plugins is because I recently added Beyond Skyrim: Bruma, Legacy of the Dragonborn and Ambriel. Bruma and Legacy require a LOT of patches to work with the other mods I have sooo… lol With the exception of Vortex being flexible with some of my mods my game is (surprisingly) stable. And really pretty. Mod authors are amazing. ^_^ And so far so good for now. It seems to be behaving and I've had to start and stop the game (RL *sigh*) several times last night and all the mods stayed put. Overall I still really like Vortex, much better than NMM was. It would be cool if we could endorse mods directly from Vortex like we could with NMM though. That's a feature I do miss.

Have you enabled the ENDORSED column in the MOD tab?

It let's you endorse by clicking on the Thumbs Up Icon

What the heck?

I didn't even see the other posts where you found out you can endorse?

Actually that feature doesn't seem to be working for me... It is active but there is nothing down the line. No thumbs up icon, I mean, or any icon. Not even when I sort by Endorsed/Abstained/Undecided/NA there is nothing. Starting to wonder if this is a bad Vortex install...

Edited by CyrusFyre