⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Is farengar the worst voice-over?

Cipherthe3vil

I don't mind Farengar too much, the voice acting at least. I think the dryness is part of the personality of the character himself rather than incompetence on the part of the voice actor and I'm pretty confident that the voice actor did multiple NPC's besides Farengar. Just my personal opinion. But I'll second the "Esbern's voice drives me insane" vote. He does have too many fluids in his mouth... Not that the voice actor is bad but just the approach used and how he sounds all the time just makes me instantly dislike him, the fct that he wanted me to kill Parthurnax certainly didn't help his cause either though.

I've never really been bothered by Esbern for some reason, and at least he isn't as annoying as Delphine when it came to that demand

Farengar has to be one of the worst voice-overs ever, is he? Can anyone think of anyone worse? I'm sure out of Skyrim there is bound to be a worse one somewhere, but I mean whithin Skyrim. And maybe out as a side-venture.

I ask because I just realized just how incredibly dull and off key it is. He sounds like whoever voiced it did it on the first time without ever reading the script before and they decided to use that first go.

Yes yes yes!

I thought it was just me. It's the timing as much as anything, it just doesn't sound like the tempo of any human's speech the way he moves from one phrase to the next. The voice itself is fine, but it doesn't even sound like a recorded take, it does literally sound like he's reading a script and trying the voice itself before paying any attention to what the words mean, the context, or the beat and tempo of speech.

Generally all the voices in Skyrim are well done even if they are sometimes dislikeable, the real problem is the monotony, the majority of people really do sound the same after a while. Especially the male "commander" type voice, that's just everywhere.

he's not human

(I know what you mean, just kidding)

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, my least favourite voice belongs to Ulfric Stormcloak (Vladimir Kulich). When he yells "WE NEED TO MOVE! NOW!", it sounds like he's doing a piss-poor Arnold Schwarzenegger...it's like Kulich has an accent that he sometimes forgets to stamp out for professionalism's sake.

I don't really mind Farengar's voice, there's two other qualities about him that bug me. One is his dryness...it's as though he thinks he's above everyone else (leave the details to your betters, am I right?)...and the fact that he's a Nord with an Altmer name (though if he were raised by Altmer, it might explain his attitude).

Esbern's voice irks me too. Max Von Syndow might be an award-winner, but this particular role won't win any awards from me.

Here's a real kicker, since we're discussing voice actors - did y'all know that the guy who voices Paarthurnax (whose name escapes me atm) also voiced Mario in the Nintendo64-and-forwards Super Mario games?

"It's-a me, Paarthurnax!"

He's a talking dog who fetches things for a Daedric Lord. Why shouldn't he sound like a New York UPS delivery guy?

"Here ya go, Mister, uuh, Dragonborn? Yeah, dat's right, a sig-na-ture, wise guy, dat's when you write your name. You do know how ta write?

So just sign right dere and da package is all yours."

I can see that.