Mod staging folder

Carida1210

What if I put mine in E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\F4MODS (new folder I placed there)?

A suggestion: use "E:\Games\Mods." Once you establish that as the path for the Mod Staging Folder, Vortex will automatically create the appropriate folders for your games.

Putting your mod and/or downloads folders in your Steam Library is generally not a good idea.

What if I put mine in E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\F4MODS (new folder I placed there)?

A suggestion: use "E:\Games\Mods." Once you establish that as the path for the Mod Staging Folder, Vortex will automatically create the appropriate folders for your games.

Putting your mod and/or downloads folders in your Steam Library is generally not a good idea.

What she said.

It's not a good idea to put a folder for one program, INSIDE a folder for a different program, in case you ever decide to MOVE or Uninstall Steam.

• 9 months later...

Hi, I'm a bit late to this.

Please talk dumb to me. I have only been playing video games for 3 years and before the most I used my file program for was saving pictures off the internet and saving files on Microsoft Word. I didn't even know that computer programs contained folders of codes until 2017. So please talk to me like I'm stupid. When it comes to computers, I probably am. haha

Here is my situation. My laptop ONLY has a C drive. the D drive is reserved permanently as a recovery drive and I cannot alter this without doing some heavy duty coding stuff that is about 5000 levels above my understanding. I also do not have a 'Game' folder. I don't know why, but my computer never came with it. My video games are in Programs x86 folder. Sims Mods are entered manually and are located in a folder under 'Documents'. Should I set the mod staging folder in my Documents similar to Sims 4? Or inside my Programs x86 outside of Steam? Or in the steamapps folder outside of SkyrimSE? Or inside the Vortex folder?

Hi, I'm a bit late to this.

Please talk dumb to me. I have only been playing video games for 3 years and before the most I used my file program for was saving pictures off the internet and saving files on Microsoft Word. I didn't even know that computer programs contained folders of codes until 2017. So please talk to me like I'm stupid. When it comes to computers, I probably am. haha

Here is my situation. My laptop ONLY has a C drive. the D drive is reserved permanently as a recovery drive and I cannot alter this without doing some heavy duty coding stuff that is about 5000 levels above my understanding. I also do not have a 'Game' folder. I don't know why, but my computer never came with it. My video games are in Programs x86 folder. Sims Mods are entered manually and are located in a folder under 'Documents'. Should I set the mod staging folder in my Documents similar to Sims 4? Or inside my Programs x86 outside of Steam? Or in the steamapps folder outside of SkyrimSE? Or inside the Vortex folder?

Never put your Mod Staging Folder INSIDE the Vortex folder, it will get deleted every time you update Vortex.

Also, don't put it inside your Steam folder.

It's best to put it OUTSIDE the Programs (x86) folder

What Vortex means by {Game} is that it will make automatically make a folder named after whatever game you have, just leave the settings in vortex alone for the download and mod staging folder, they are fine where they are by default.

• 8 months later...

I am also having issues relating to the mod staging folder. I keep having trouble setting it up. Every time I open Vortex, it tells me that it doesn't have access to my external (M:) drive, where I initially set the folder to be. Then I try to set it to something new, like M:\\Vortex Mods. However, when I do that and hit apply, Vortex copies literally everything inside of (M:) into M:\\Vortex Mods\\my_game_name while it "moves" my mod folder. Of course, my 180GB (M:) drive contains other things than just mods.

I have already removed all my mods and I even disabled managing the game I am trying to mod and then added it again - all to no avail.

Can somebody point me in the right direction here? :sad:

Edited by frgeso