Anyone else disappointed with the Stormcloak questline?

cartersj

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've played through both faction questlines more than once, and they both dissatisfy me.

With the stormcloak questline, you help a man become high king who is completely indifferent to the strife and suffering of anyone who is not a nord. Who knows how this blatant racism would've escalated if he became High King with the full suport of the jarls. Yes Ulfric has a just cause to be angry about the outlaw of Talos, but why so long after the white gold concordant? It's all because he wanted to use Talos as a martyr for his rise to high kingdom. If he truly wanted to take a right action, he should've called the citizens of Skyrim to rise arms against the Thalmor. They're the true enemies in all of this. But then, Ulfric wouldn't have become high king, which is what he's truly after. Ulfrics ambiton is furthermore seen at the Greybeard's peace council, where he demands an advancement of his position for a temporary truce. That just seems like a stupidly arrogant thing to do at a peace council.

There's no actual evidence that Ulfric is racist. He even tries to forge an alliance with High Rock; in fact, he's fairly diplomatic about the fact that they refused his offer of an alliance. In fact, if a non-Nord Stormcloak becomes a Stormcloak, it's Galmar who brings up the issue of race, not Ulfric, and it's Galmar who is the one who explicitly says things that can be seen as racist (like Skyrim being "man's land" and all that, and denigrating the race of the people of High Rock). And it was the betrayal at Markarth that spured on Ulfric, since the Empire and Igmund's father offered Ulfric and the Nord militia the freedom to worship Talos in exchange for reclaiming the Reach, as we know from the pro-Legion Jarl Igmund (in contradiction to the "Bear of Markarth").

True, he wants to be High King, but I don't see how that makes Ulfric a bad guy. And his focus is on defeating the Thalmor, which is why he needed Skyrim to secede from the Empire (which is another argument altogether). As for your point about the meeting, Tullius also wants territory as well. That said, I don't think Tullius is a bad guy, either. Both leaders are doing what they think is right.

personally i prefered Season Unending, Skyrim needs a strong military NOT being widdled down and divided by a civil war to fight the Domionion, Neither side like the Domion, but Ulfric can't see the big picture. I'd have loved a option to end the civil war for the imperial side with Ulfric exiles basicly use Season Unending to (with high enough oersuasion) cut right to the end of the Civil War quest line sans any blood shed

And it was the betrayal at Markarth that spured on Ulfric, since the Empire and Igmund's father offered Ulfric and the Nord militia the freedom to worship Talos in exchange for reclaiming the Reach, as we know from the pro-Legion Jarl Igmund (in contradiction to the "Bear of Markarth").

According to Igmund, it was him and Ulfric alone. The legion only agrees to Ulfric's conditions after Markarth is taken, because violence is escalating within the city and they need to take over. Steward Rearek confirms Ulfric's precarious attitude towards Markarth during the Stormcloak questline. There's no indication anywhere that the emperor or the High King made any promisses to Ulfric.

Edited by kradus

Both sides of the civil war are extrodinarily dull, though I'd give the upper hand to the Imperial questline. At least the Stormcloak one didn't make you feel like a well trained Thalmor puppy.

Well apparently, according to the author of Civil War Overhaul, the Civil War questline was supposed to be huge. There are a lot of scripts, options and story lines set which fid not makr the final cut. However their scripts were left behind in game. Thr guy just enabled those that can be, and fixed the others. How abouy trying that mod?

Anyone else disappointed with pretty much all the quests in skyrim?

Yep, they all seem undercooked, underdeveloped and uninspired. Especially the Companions quest line. In a game so big, I really feel that ALL major quests (companions, winterhold, DB etc) should be AT LAST 20 sub quests long. If you're going to make distinct quest lines, at least make them worthy of going on. Sometimes the Companions quest line felt like an errand to be the master of nothing rather than a "big faction related" questline. Even the MQ kinda lacks IMO. Not enough amazing jaw dropping moments and pretty dull, you really only do 6-7 things in it. I think the MQ should have been about 40+ sub quests long or make some of them really difficult to do, or about the travel. They don't have to be CONTENT filled, but just there.