Contradictory mod rules without error warnings

tomtheclone

Vortex version: 0.17.8

Game: Skyrim SE

Number of mods installed: 52 plugins (not counting the official ones)

Problem:

I was trying to figure out why faces and heads are ugly despite using roughly the same method for SSE as I did for Oldrim.

So I reduced my my list to a minimum. For now, that exact list probably isn't important so I'm omitting it.

What is important is that I seem to have two rules that are opposed to each other. CBBE is suppose to be before Botox (Vanilla) and Botox Vanilla is suppose to load before CBBE.

Since Botox is the mod I was using to make faces look like appealing, I feel I might have found the issue.

Either way, I figured I should share this. Also, screenshots below.

So, what's stopping you from clicking the padlock icon, and removing the rule and changing it to AFTER and BEFORE (respectively)?

Nothing. That's how I fixed it. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't submit a bug report.

Edited by tomtheclone

So, what's stopping you from clicking the padlock icon, and removing the rule and changing it to AFTER and BEFORE (respectively)?

Nothing. That's how I fixed it. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't submit a bug report.

It's not a bug. There's no issue to report to the developers. You simply make a "load after" or "load before" rule where needed in order to resolve the file conflict in the way you want it resolved.

It's not a bug. There's no issue to report to the developers. You simply make a "load after" or "load before" rule where needed in order to resolve the file conflict in the way you want it resolved.

Yes, there is a bug. Two, if you ask me (no one is).

First, there are two rules which contradict each other. This should throw up cyclic mod warnings like with plug ins.

Second, note that one of those rules was generated automatically. So Vortex auto-generated a rule that contradicted one that I created.

What is important is that I seem to have two rules that are opposed to each other. CBBE is suppose to be before Botox (Vanilla) and Botox Vanilla is suppose to load before CBBE.

Maybe I'm mis-reading something, but at least to me it seems the two first pictures are the same, so I can't see anything wrong here.

As for the last picture, I just tested it, if you re-open "Manage Rules" and do any changes to the rules that aren't currently locked, these changes does not have any effect on the locked rules until you Save your changes. So at least you can call this a visual bug and you should report it through Vortex.

Now if where's actually a rule conflict or if it's just you changing something without saving I can't tell from your pictures.

Maybe I'm mis-reading something, but at least to me it seems the two first pictures are the same, so I can't see anything wrong here.

As for the last picture, I just tested it, if you re-open "Manage Rules" and do any changes to the rules that aren't currently locked, these changes does not have any effect on the locked rules until you Save your changes. So at least you can call this a visual bug and you should report it through Vortex.

Now if where's actually a rule conflict or if it's just you changing something without saving I can't tell from your pictures.

In the first photo, you'll see that CBBE is suppose to load before Botox. In the second, Botox is suppose to load before CBBE.

You tested it? As in you had contradictory rules as well?

Look more closely at the pictures.

In the first photo, you'll see that CBBE is suppose to load before Botox. In the second, Botox is suppose to load before CBBE.

PLUGINS vs MODS.

The First Rules screenshot you posted are PLUGIN rules. That you set yourself, because if Vortex set them or they were built in, they'd be in italics and would also be unchangeable

The ESP for Botox is Blank, it's only there for BSA loading, since Vortex can handle what order the BSAs load

This is what I have

Botox-load-order.jpg

PLUGINS vs MODS.

The First Rules screenshot you posted are PLUGIN rules. That you set yourself, because if Vortex set them or they were built in, they'd be in italics and would also be unchangeable

The ESP for Botox is Blank, it's only there for BSA loading, since Vortex can handle what order the BSAs load

This is what I have

Botox-load-order.jpg

Nope. Both of those are mod rules. Note that in both pictures you'll find Botox (CBBE). That's a texture pack. There is no plugin associate with that.

Also, I only set one rule for plugins and that was for SkyHair. I'll take a screen shot of that sometime later. I don't have access to that right now.

Edited by tomtheclone

There are no 'contradicting rules' made by Vortex in this situation, if there were, the rules would be in italics (example below, 2 rules built into Vortex, and one rule I made myself) and you wouldn't be able to change them.
The fact that you could change them to get a working load order shows there's no bug, a bug would be that Vortex is insisting the mod and plugins be loaded in a certain order and you couldn't change it.

What you did was completely run-of-the-mill Standard operating procedure.

Mod-Rule-PLUGINS.jpg