Tutorials WITHOUT "youtoob"

Allannaa

How to make Dragon Claw holders
Difficulty: Medium
It is assumed that the reader has basic knowledge of how the CK works.

Scriptname DragonClawHolderScript extends ObjectReference  

MiscObject Property ClawToPlace  Auto  
{The claw we want to place}
Bool Property isPlaced = false Auto Hidden
Message Property FailMessage auto
{The message to show if the player dont have the claw in their inventory}

Event OnActivate(ObjectReference akActivator)
	if(isPlaced == FALSE)  ; is the claw placed?
		if akActivator.getItemCount(ClawToPlace) >= 1 ; Does the player have the claw?
			isPlaced = TRUE
			self.getLinkedRef().enable() ; Enable the Static Claw
			(akActivator as actor).removeItem(ClawToPlace, 1) ; Remove the claw from the players inventory
		else
			FailMessage.show() ; If the player doesnt have the claw, show the Fail message.
		endif
	else
		isPlaced = FALSE  
		self.getLinkedRef().disable() ; If the claw was already placed, disable the static claw
		(akActivator as actor).addItem(ClawToPlace, 1) ; add the claw back.
	endif
endEvent

Hi Sjogga,

I just wanted to point this out if it hasn't been covered already that your script for placing claws can be modified slightly to use with placing any type of item to include the Daedric Artifacts. Here is a my script for weapons:

Scriptname DawnbreakerScriptNew extends ObjectReference
Weapon Property WeaponToPlace Auto
{The claw we want to place}
Bool Property isPlaced = false Auto Hidden
Message Property FailMessage auto
{The message to show if the player doesn't have the weapon in their inventory}
Event OnActivate(ObjectReference akActivator)
if(isPlaced == FALSE) ; is the weapon placed?
if akActivator.getItemCount(WeaponToPlace) >= 1 ; Does the player have the Weapon?
isPlaced = TRUE
self.getLinkedRef().enable() ; Enable the Static Weapon
(akActivator as actor).removeItem(WeaponToPlace, 1) ; Remove the weapon from the players inventory
else
FailMessage.show() ; If the player doesnt have the weapon, show the Fail message.
endif
else
isPlaced = FALSE
self.getLinkedRef().disable() ; If the weapon was already placed, disable the static claw
(akActivator as actor).addItem(WeaponToPlace, 1) ; add the weapon back.
endif
endEvent

Hope this helps anyone out there.

Can anyone point me in the direction for a factions tutorial? I've only skim read this page and the OP so sorry if I missed it.

Are you creating a faction for a story line? As always use creationkit.com.

Join the TES alliance for tutorials.

or

I have a step by step .odt format.

or

You can put up with the copy and paste that is not as pretty.

This is self explanatory.

You can create one in a minute.

You don't have to complete every option.

In the Object window:

Click on Character. Click on Faction.

Right click 'new'

Name the ID something that follows a sequence like:

first 4 letters of quest+factionname etc.

Example: PQSTIluvBunniesFaction

If for the very odd chance, that someone else names their faction IluvBunniesFaction in their

own quest; you will avoid collision because you put the 4 initials of the quest in front "PQST"

Name field: Add a name consistant with the story line in your quest. NOT like nameid.

You can use the interfaction relations to help boost your quest. They will fight each other

or become your ally.

In your faction, create ranks so that when a player achieves a certain number of quests under

her belt, she can be promoted and get privileges or skills.

Crime: Tracking crime gets difficult.

If you are making a hireling with a brand new faction, don't make the crime portion too

difficult. Just use the upper portion including 'don't report crime if in faction'.

• 4 weeks later...

Happy Holidays, folks.

I'm sorry I've not been keeping us updated as well as I could. My only excuse is that I was getting the new novel squared away for publication. It will be available in February or March. (No, it's not Skyrim-based.)

On a quick run-through and to address several points that weren't otherwise answered, here we go ---

Hello, I'm very new to modding and was trying to figure out a way to create my own spell. I have been playing with the creation kit and created what I could figure out, only issue is that I get crashes on new games and while going into character creation (in game, at the start of the game) Any help with creating the spell or links, anything would be great ^.^

The spell is much like the Arcane Warrior from Dragon Age Origins, can't figure out what I can do to help get around the crashes.

My knowle4dge is very limited on what I can do, so far I have been creating a new (spell, magic effect, perk/trait) based off of copying the spells I'd like to recreate as my own, (new spell window <> one I like spell to be like) so I can see how they placved the information.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section, new to all this forum stuff and locations ; ;

Shadow, check the tute for makng a new food item or ingredient -- It's pretty much the same procedure, although you may have to create a spell effect (which is also pretty similar) and tie it to your new spell. I'm so sorry it took me this long to answer your question! Believe it or not, I didn't see your post until today.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Does anyone know of a tutorial on how to create plots of land for the player to build on like the three in Hearthfire or if it is even possible to create them? I was thinking of adding a new village with a lot that would become available for the player to build on. Thanks for any help in advance.

Neolis21

You could do that by linking through a door into a world you created. You can also do it by attatching the script to a given area, but remember, if you're building a player home, you'll still have to link to the inside of tht home, and, you will also have to nav-mesh the area, or followers won't work.

One thing i found to be helpful is the hot-loading of plugins - so one works in the CK and has the loaded plugin in Skyrim at the same time without closing and opening both all the time. Couldnt find a description in here yet - so here it is:

· Load the Creation Kit as normal. Load your plugin (or create a new one)
· In this example, we’ll pretend our active plugin is “nifty.esp”
· Launch Skyrim as normal.
· Make some changes in the Creation Kit, such as moving or adding a static.
· In-game, open the console (~) and enter the command: “FCF

o This step only applies if you loaded nifty.esp in the Data files section of the launcher

o This only has to be done once per boot of the game.

o FCF is shorthand for “force close files”, and allows the Creation Kit to save a loaded plugin

· Return to the creation kit and save nifty.esp
· Return to the game. If possible, position yourself where you’ll notice your changes.
· Open the console and enter: “HLP nifty” (or the name of your .esp file)

o HLP is shorthand for “Hotload plugin”

· The scene will re-load. Your changes show now be visible in-game!

The original thread describing this can be found here

Dwiss, incredibly helpful, thank you!

Allannaa..

It's me again. I have watched a lot of youtube videos. The ones that actually did a good job were interpreted by me

and put into document .odt form. Also I used clipmate. .ODT is open office and can be used as .doc as well.

Included are:

Quest Creation. Story manager.

Home Purchase or decorate.

Create a vendor

Create a follower housecarl or companion

Create Weapon Rack and put items on rack

Create a Mannequin (use warehouse or do it from scratch).

Create a book or a note.

Create message box with conditions.

Create a mining node.

create package for npc

Create Traps, prefab, button, door

Dialogue

Create Falmer race that talks

Events & Triggers

Add Map Marker during a quest

Make NPC do a task

Portals and Room Bounds

Inventory (add or remove)

Get Actor Values like Health

Toggle Activators

Re animation, summoning, tet time, spell casting, ghost effcts

Basically I did some myself and got the rest of the information from different sources and put them all in ONE place.

ONE big difference: Even though there are links with scripts, I also did a paint by the number approach and told

the user WHERE to click. Step by step, NOT discussing scripts or their functions.

So if anyone is interested *I didn't want to 'plug' unless people are interested*.

Ash, yes, people are incredibly interested, and wow, what a lot of work you did. That's awesome!!

Is this thread still being updated? Since I have the basic information I will be writing a few tutorials on creating exterior cells, Editing Form lists, and a few other things. I am a new modder however I have scoured the internet and put that knowledge into practice.

BTW thank you Slogga for your tutorials and explanations on scripting. Because of your help I was able to write my own script and greatly reduce the mannequin bugs in my mod.

Yes, as time, modding, and real life allow. Sometimes they don't.

Wow, spectral. That was a lot of work!

I have a suggestion--it seems a shame to have all that info and help buried in a thread like this.

I just wonder if you have considered adding it to the Nexus Wiki tutorials page?

Georgie, if you'll tell me how, and that page allows it, sure, I'll do that.

So this is way off topic but i downloaded Skse for the game and when i try to launch it is says to update skyrim to the latest version. Problem is my game isn't through steam and i don't know how to update it. Any help because i want to try out this multiple followers mod but its not working out right now.

Little confused here -- Skyrim IS through Steam, whether you play with Steam in offline or not, whether you bought hard-copy as I did, or simply downloaded the game as one of my kids did. Either way, Steam WILL correctly update your game. It does take a few minutes to an hour sometimes though.

So which tutorial do I use to learn to import my custom ragdolls as playable characters? I need to know everything.

Basically, Nevarakka, you'll have to do one of two things -- Re-texture an existing boned model, or create the bones for a model and apply your rag-doll to them, then go from there by making a new race in the CK and adding your rag-doll as that new race (same as adding any other new race, at that point.)

Looking for a Meticulous "Step-by-specific-step" instruction on modding, specifically Armor & clothing textures.

Truth be told, I am not a modder and have little experience in the area.

I searched for tutorials (on wikis, blogs and even here and on wiki.nexus), but found

that more often than not, these tutorials were either way over my head, omitted

crucial steps ,or assumed that their audience already knew how to do stuff that I didn't.

That being said, I need instructions on modding ( a tutorial written in meticulous detail),

that's meant for noobs/ mortals/ non-modders. Where -short of going blind- I cannot possibly fail to mod something.

I have the time and the resources to do modding (and am willing to accept reasonable mod requests).

I just need the proper, detailed instruction.

Any references would be greatly appreciated.

Most of the links, or the in-thread tutes in this thread are step by step. But I'd need to know a little more about what you want in order to give you a precise step-by-step. Can you be more specific?

Allannaa wrote in his/her intro post:

General Neat Stuff

The link to the Skyrim Modding blog changed to: http://tesmods.blogspot.de/search/label/tutorials

Mal -- thank you for the heads up! I'll change front page.

Edited by Allannaa

Hi,

I'm taking my first dabble into scripting and I am having trouble trying to create a script that will allow the player to press a dwemer-button and give the player a bottle of mead.

I've tried following the TESA tutorial here: http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/topic/4697-class-1-start-here-for-basics/

but I still can't get my button to work; when I press "E" it doesn't do anything.

Here's the code I have created thus far:

Scriptname Shocks_BrewTank1 extends ObjectReference

{Gives player Alcoholic Drink when activated}

Message Property QBrewTank1 Auto

{Ask the player if they want a drink.}

Message Property Yes Auto

{Yes, I want a drink}

Message Property no Auto

{No; I don't want a drink}

Potion Property FoodMead Auto

int Button

EVENT onActivate(objectReference akActionRef)

If akActionRef == Game.GetPlayer()
Button = question.show()
if Button == 0
Yes.show()
Game.GetPlayer().AddItem(FoodMead, 1, true)
elseif Button == 1
No.show()
endif
EndIf

endEVENT

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D

Hi,

I'm taking my first dabble into scripting and I am having trouble trying to create a script that will allow the player to press a dwemer-button and give the player a bottle of mead.

I've tried following the TESA tutorial here: http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/topic/4697-class-1-start-here-for-basics/

but I still can't get my button to work; when I press "E" it doesn't do anything.

Here's the code I have created thus far:

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D

You need to create a single message object (Object Window->Miscellaneous->Messages), set as a message box, with two options. The first option should be Yes and the other one No.

After that, your script should look like this:

Scriptname Shocks_BrewTank1 extends ObjectReference 
{Gives player Alcoholic Drink when activated}

Message Property QBrewTank1 Auto 
{Ask the player if they want a drink.}

Potion Property FoodMead Auto

int Button

Button = question.show()
  if Button == 0
   Game.GetPlayer().AddItem(FoodMead, 1, true)
  endif
 EndIf
endEVENT
Edited by Sjogga

Thanks that worked perfectly; I had the property incorrectly stated, and forgot to input my custom name for the "question" flag. Between Sjogga and another Nexus modder, I was able to get a functional script that gives the player a "potion" [i have it give the player mead/ale; but you can select whatever "potion" you want under the script properties].

I want to list the script here, so if others need to make a button that gives the player an item, this will work.

I had my script display a "No" message, but you can probably get away with only doing 2 messages [Question and Yes prompts]. The "Question", "Yes" and "No" flags below are custom message templates you must create.

See here for more info on how to setup this script:

http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/topic/4697-class-1-start-here-for-basics/

Script - Free to use

Press a custom activator button [like Impbutton] and the player will recieve a potion.

See updated final script here: http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/754151-tutorials-without-youtoob/page-31&do=findComment&comment=11877175

=======================================================================

Ok, another question, I am trying to find away to add a property to the above script that will allow a user to change the quantity of potions you can make the activator give to the player.

I took a peek at some Hearthfire scripts [bYOHHiddenObjectScript] and saw that Bethesda implemented a a custom line to "int" in the manner of

if itemToAddPotion
Game.GetPlayer().AddItem(itemToAddPotion, itemCount, true)

Int Property ItemCount = 1 Auto
{how many to add?}

Potion Property itemToAddPotion Auto
{item to add to player - potion}

The [.....] means there are others parts of the script that I have excluded.

I thus added the "itemCount" phrase to the "additem" function [Game.GetPlayer().AddItem(MeadFood, itemCount, true)], with the above property rule, and it does not work.

Here's what I got so far:

Scriptname BrewTank_All
{Script to add potions to player. Ability to select potion from property}

Message Property Question Auto
{Ask the player a question}

Message Property Yes Auto
{Player selects Yes to Question}

Message Property No Auto
{Player selects No to Question}

Potion Property itemToAddPotion Auto
{item to add to player - potion}

Int Property ItemCount = 1 Auto
{how many to add?}

int Button

Button = Question.show()
if Button == 0
Yes.show()
Game.GetPlayer().AddItem(itemToAddPotion, itemCount, false)
elseif Button == 1
No.show()
endif
EndIf
endEVENT

Under script properties, I set itemToAddPotion to Mead, itemCount to 3, and the 3 messages above to the corresponding messages. It should be noted this is just a tweaked version of the above "MeadFood" script; which does work.

Thanks for the feedback!!

Edited by UWShocks

Georgie, if you'll tell me how, and that page allows it, sure, I'll do that.

Already done.

In thread post is here: http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/754151-tutorials-without-youtoob/page-20&do=findComment&comment=8100860

Wiki Link is here: http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Creating_an_Exterior_Worldspace

Can you please add these to the first post? (Unless you want to verify they are accurate which I understand.)