⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Vortex Not Liking Directory Junctions

Verdigo

This is absolutely about Vortex. I'm not using the default hard-links method of installing, deploying and enabling mods. That would be wonky putting hardlinks inside a directory junction. I'm using the experimental physically moving of files deployment method.

When you create a Directory Junction Vortex should not be able to tell what drive the target files are REALLY on as long as it's pointing to F:. Vortex and the mod staging are all on F:. Vortex should be deploying to F: and the filesystem takes care of moving it to C: but it does not. Again it shouldn't know the difference with a junction. I've used them for years with countless programs and this is a first that doesn't work with them.

You're talking to a Window guru here.

The other Vortex issues you've mentioned are not related to my problem.

And you're using Vortex in a way it's not meant to be used.

Says who? My use case scenario isn't unusual in any way. I have a small SSD and I don't want all the archived mods stored there so I use a junction. It works fine with Steam and they aren't much different than what Vortex does. My problem is why is Vortex not behaving like every other Windows application when using junctions?

Says who? My use case scenario isn't unusual in any way. I have a small SSD and I don't want all the archived mods stored there so I use a junction. It works fine with Steam and they aren't much different than what Vortex does. My problem is why is Vortex not behaving like every other Windows application when using junctions?

I am guessing you don't understand? Archived files can be on any drive. That is the Vortex Download folder. Live mods (unpacked archives) have to be on the same disk partition as the game.

If you can't live with that - Vortex is not the mod manager for you.

I am guessing you don't understand? Archived files can be on any drive. That is the Vortex Download folder. Live mods (unpacked archives) have to be on the same disk partition as the game.

Out of frustration I moved the staging folder to the SSD on C:\ and it moved all 7.75 GBs of mod archives. I checked the download folder on F:\ and it's empty. Vortex did exactly what I didn't want it to do. I double checked my settings and the download folder is still set to F:\. What happened there?

Out of frustration I moved the staging folder to the SSD on C:\ and it moved all 7.75 GBs of mod archives. I checked the download folder on F:\ and it's empty. Vortex did exactly what I didn't want it to do. I double checked my settings and the download folder is still set to F:\. What happened there?

Download folder should be set to a folder, not a drive.

Download folder should be set to a folder, not a drive.

Oh dear lord I'm not stupid. Downloads are set to F:\Vortex Downloads and it's empty. I didn't move the staging folder my self good god. I changed the staging folder location in Vortex's settings to C:\Vortex Staging and IT moved the contents.