Torchlight 2 Release Date!!

hoofhearted4

I'm surprised they didn't factor Borderlands 2 into the release date. Would have been smart to release it a while before or after BL2 rather than two days after.

Then they'd be having a 2014 release date.

I think it's a fair assumption that most of those who would buy the game the first week or two of release have already pre-ordered. Afterall, unlike most games these days, this one wasn't really overhyped, released actual gameplay footage during beta runs, and has been slated at being one of the best games released in this format for a long time.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it really is two different markets too. Borderlands is also on console, where as Torchlight is PC only. Borderlands wont really compete with Torchlight sales, plus like Vagrant said, Borderlands would really only hinder Torchlight for the first few weeks, and anyone who would buy Torchlight in those first few weeks, probably just pre ordered it. anyone who is waiting was probably going to wait anyways, with or without Borderlands.

now if Diablo 3 were coming out on Sept 18th (hypothetically ofc) then i would agree, youd think they would wait, as those are two very similar games geared towards similar markets. but Borderlands is a different market (granted many people will most assuredly play both) Torchlight also isnt a AAA game (even though its freaking amazing) so the fact its not hyped up and on TV and whatnot, whereas Borderlands is, its another reason they arent competing. anyone who already knows about Torchlight, was going to get it, whereas people who didnt know about Borderlands, might now get it after seeing advertisement

I would agree to a point, but I think that later part about not knowing about BL applied more to the first one, where most of the ads didn't show much about actual gameplay and personally the masked guys always left a feeling of the game being kinda "meh" since the image of some guy in a mask pointing at his head with an uninteresting background really didn't say anything about the game. And as they seem to be doing a similar thing with BL2, it'll probably appeal mostly to just those who know of the first game.

Torchlight on the other hand will probably get more attention with the sequel on account of the higher amount of game detail and slight departure away from the cartoony feel of the first, and it feeling like a breath of fresh air after a miserable D3 experience. That and the much smaller price tag and no-nonesense press releases about what to expect.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh aren't you the lucky one...

I am totally unable to download it. I have had my retail key sent but when I follow the link to download I get a 400 error - bad request.

Needless to say, their support has received a pretty mean email from me. I didn't think it was possible for there to be a worse launch than GW2 but I guess I was wrong...

When I pay for something in advance, I expect to get it. And since I am both out of work and having to have my gaming PC rebuilt (am on the gaming laptop now) I cannot afford to buy it again. Ever had the feeling you have been conned? I certainly do.

The Torchlight forums have been down pretty much all day. I hate it when developers/publishers don't account for the fact there'll be a crapton of traffic to the site on launch. I understand the irony that Skyrim Nexus was up and down for the first month after launch, but hell, give me all the pre-order money from Skyrim and I'll give you a perfectly running site ;)