Screenshot Share

SerecenHwke

This is true, screenshots do lead to mod releases. Back in the Oblivion days I used to post on Beth’s “Pictures Of Oblivion Character`s” and I wanted a unique background for a screenshot, so I made a new night sky just for a series of pictures. I had a few requests to release it, so I did. I called it Fantasy NightSky and it went on to have over 12000 downloads. It was never intended to be released, It was only made for a screenshot. I think a lot of people would be surprised if they knew how many mods evolved out of screenshot props.

Exactly, they inspire creations and of course mods do the same in respect to images created. Fabulous point you make here.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too second the hope that you may find another solution for this issue, than to abandon this wonderful feature.

As a mod author, a screenarcher and a downloading gamer I can tell you that this feature is a blessing for all of these three groups of people. Nothing beats visual promotion for a visual medium like gaming is. I started modding myself and before to use mods only because of the beauty people created with their images and I wanted to have an experience as beautiful and inspiring like they showed me there and I am absolutely convinced that there are thousands and millions of other gamers like me who never cared about mods before the have been SHOWN what they can do.

Imho there is no alternative way to create attention and interest for mods like this from "normal" gamers.

Just FYI, we're planning to remove this ability from the Image Share soon because frankly, we don't like it. We'll code in something so you can setup a "showcase" of some of your other images instead, but we'll be removing the ability to use the img tags in the Image Share descriptions.

Just out of interest what will happen with the images already posted with images in their description?

Okay would it possible for the admins to delete the contents of the description box only across an entire imageshare in one go? With 2332 images currently and Skyrim nexus still rather flaky in terms of surfing lots of images, manually editing such a quantity of images would take forever or be impossible.

That was addressed on the second page:

We'll simply change any URLs in the img tags in to clickable links instead.

Without the img tag in place, then all that will remain will be url items, which as stated will become click links.

This may be a problem for anyone who has used Flickrs embed codes, switching img for url creates a direct link to the image rather than the image page which is against Flickrs TOS. This is what you end up with...

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3750/9395482391_e47088f4b3_o.jpg

TombRaider 2013-07-30 01-01-14-72 by Jimbo_UK, on Flickr

... people will have to go through all of their images and remove that first link.

As stated before, I love the Nexus and appreciate the work that the admin. does here. You all do an amazing job.

With all due respect clickable links will kill it for me and MANY others. (especially the story tellers) Please read: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/images/259603/?

There is another site that has begun to embrace image share. People will flock to it if you take this away.

Sorry if I over-react to something that is not a certainty. But I think it better to express my feelings now rather then after something I love is gone.

I appreciate the effort you all are putting into this challenging issue.

People keep referring to the use of the image tags in the description area as a "feature" - the imageshare was not intended to be used as a "multiple image per page" facility. It's very title should hint at what it's purpose is.

The tags where just something that wasn't thought about until people started going overboard with the use of them, or using them as a way of trying to avoid the staff from seeing they had uploaded an unsuitable image somewhere on the page - expecting that because the initial image was clean, we wouldn't look at the rest of the page and see the rest of their uploaded content.

No, it was not everyone doing this, but there was (and is) enough people participating in the act for it to have become an issue that we needed to address.

The other problem is people linking to offsite galleries that contain nudity and other NSFW image content - yes, it's not on here directly, but:

Nexus sites are open to people aged 13 or older. Due to legal reasons minors under the age of 13 are not allowed to use the site and should not register an account. Similarly content marked as adult-only should only be unlocked by members aged 18 or over.

By linking to these galleries, people are providing access to content, via our site as a redirect - to people that should not have access to that content, and therefore violate our terms of service in the process.

It's been done, and it is not acceptable. If you do this, I'd ask that you reconsider and stop it before you are found by the staff and it becomes a formal matter. It's only going to cause problems if it gets to that level.

After being a member since 2006 and never paying anything to this site and what an amazing thing you have made, I discovered the Image community 3 months ago and I like what is going on there, its unique and it has lead me to the first time in paying to become a premium member on trial basis. I will often post 5-10 images, sometimes a few more to portray a story or vibe to my set. I don't like people posting single similar images 5 at a time so other posters work are pushed far down to the the late pages with little views.

To me now the mod section is secondary to the image section I don't check for new mods as often now, the Image section is priority. Its your Website you can do what you want with it and I will respect your choice, but I have my choice as well, many of your premium members are people posting images and that area is growing, heck I have only ever posted 5 images in one day once and that was before I used img tags I didn't even need to contribute anything, but I wanted to out of respect and I want to contribute more I hope you leave me in a position to do so.

I'm not throwing my toys out the pram I just want my opinion to be heard.