some mods are redundant

Gorsha

First of all i don't want to complaine on Vortex, for me it is a very good mod manager.

That said i have a little issue.

Every time when i start vortex, or when there is a new deploy, i always get a message "some mods are redundant". When i click on "show" it gives the mods which are advised to be disable because they are totally overwritten.

The mods are Improved adoptions for LE and also for SE, (yes i have both games)

MFG console for LE

UNP HDT-PE BBP for LE

TKAA episode 1 for SE

When i do as suggested, disable them then the mods of course don't work ingame. But with TKAA for SE and UNP HDT-PE BBP disabled i get the message of missing masters.

This look like a minor bug to me. I can live with it because i ignore it the most of the times. But it can do no harm when it can be fixed.

A redundancy warning is not a bug. It restricts itself to meshes, textures, etc. and is triggered when you have at least two mods with identical and overlapping sets of meshes and/or textures, etc. The only way this may affect your game is in the area of performance. It's your choice whether or not to disable one of the mods. Obviously, however, you don't want to disable a mod with an .esp.

Sometimes the redundancy notice can make you aware of an incorrect conflict rule. That happened to me one time with Fallout 3. I had inadvertently set a rule that a mesh fix should load before the mesh being fixed. Vortex notified me of the redundancy and asked if I wanted to disable the fix, which I did not. So I looked at the conflict rule, realized my mistake, and changed the rule to load the mesh fix after the mesh being fixed. The redundancy disappeared.

You may want to see if your redundancy warnings indicate a similar situation in your game setup.

Edited by Augusta Calidia

Thanks for response.

@Augusta Calidia. You put me on the right trail. I was able to change the conflict rule for two mods. TKAA episode 1 for SE and UNP HDT-PE BBP for LE.

The other two mods don't have any conflicts, so what about them I don't know yet.

Do the mods in question have .esp's? If not, what happens in your game if you disable one of the redundant mods? Are there any noticeable changes in your game setup?

Oh yes, MFG console in LE is an .esp and disable means no MFG console anymore.

Improved adoptions is an .esp too and disabel it means no improved adoptions altough the gameplay impact is not very high. It is immersion of the family.

Oh yes, MFG console in LE is an .esp and disable means no MFG console anymore.

Improved adoptions is an .esp too and disabel it means no improved adoptions altough the gameplay impact is not very high. It is immersion of the family.

Looking at the two mods, my guess is no conflict is showing for each mod because one member of the identically named file pairs is locked away in a BSA. Vortex has correctly identified a redundancy, but there's nothing you can do about it but dismiss the warning when it appears. Annoying, but not game breaking.

By the way, as I understand it, redundancy occurs when two files have identical names. However, that does not mean that the files have identical content.

Edited by Augusta Calidia

My definition of a Redundancy is a mod that has no effect on the game directory.

A texture mod whose textures are all overlaid by other mods - is redundant.

A mod which currently has no contents because you imported it from NMM incorrectly - is redundant.

If you can't understand why a mod is redundant and it has no conflict rules - open it up and see if it has any contents.

Side note: A loose file will never make a BSA redundant, and vice-versa.

Vortex has no way of telling what is inside a BSA, so can't help with conflicts.

Both the BSA and the loose file will be loaded. Engine rules give the loose file precedence.

Mod Organizer gave you the option to unpack BSAs. That came with it's own set of problems, which Tannin chose to not get into with Vortex.

Edited by rmm200

• 2 years later...

I wish the Redundant feature was something I could toggle OFF.

It's more of an annoyance than being helpful.

Because if it, I have perpetual notifications on my games for stuff I KNOW isn't redundant.

That would be very nice. The mod that cleans up the floor of Understone keep shows up as redundant I suppose it effects the same textures as my overall Markarth redo but if removed , the floor is junky again. Not redundant. It would be nice if you shut them up one by one actually.