Copyright/Licensing question

Perraine

I've been asked by a couple of members to create "Skirtless" versions of the Vampire/Dawnguard armors, to go with the rest of the Skirtless Male Armor mods I've done.

The problem is, because I'd be uploading complete, though customized, meshes and textures of DLC resources, it means that the player would technically be able to use the DLC armors without actually buying the DLC!

I'm inclined to think this would be against Nexus rules, but I could be wrong, so is it a no-go ... Or do I just need to put a "Requires Dawnguard to be installed" warning?

Are the normal maps edited as well? if not obviously do not include them, that "should" be enough I believe. Also obviously add requires DG.

The ambiguity comes from the fact that there are already MANY Dawnguard mods on the Nexus, some of which include meshes and/or textures from the DLC. So technically you DON'T actually need Dawnguard installed to use a modded Auriel's bow because the author included both a mesh AND the texture in his file ...

Personally I don't like that idea, For all their faults, Bugthesda are the legal owners of this content, and they not only have rights but Justification in believing that there property is safe from duplication/piracy.

Until I get a "Yay or Nay" from a moderator, I won't upload my mod, and it would be nice to have a definitive answer on this subject as well.

I am assuming the rules regarding DLC content, set forth by BGS back in oblivion days are still in effect. AFAIK that hasn't changed. Your original assumption sums up the reasoning behind that decision, however this really applied to things like horse armor, which was the entirety of the DLC... so you can see how it came about, where as DG is a little bit more than a couple outfits Edited by Ghogiel

My understanding is that if you make the mod in such a way that it requires the Dawnguard DLC, then it will be okay. For example, requiring vanilla Dawnguard textures, putting the armour in a chest in Castle Dawnguard or making the esp dependant on Dawnguard.esm.

A player might hack your mod and extract its assets, but that's no different from hacking a non-Dawnguard mod to obtain Skyrim assets.

I'd recommend PMing a moderator to get a confirmation from them. :)

Lets be frank, reasonable and honest...

No one gets banned for have used a mesh on his mod that came from a DLC, each case is analysed and reviewed to check what was that intention.

My sugestion would be:

- Launch the MOD requiring the dawnguard.esm as a master file.

Problem solved. IF someone unpack your rar/zip and gather the DLC Dawnguard mesh there, you realy cant do nothing about it... and thats not your problem.

(Stupid is the guy who do that... cause sadly has already entires dawnguards around internet... torrents.. suchs... :( )

Ket

^ And that's the problem isn't it? ... I got a reply from a PM I sent to Buddha, that basically said "You can't upload a mod with DLC assets" ... But not 10 mins later I see a new mod from a guy that had ... A full complete (basically un-edited) Vampire Royal Armor mesh AND a complete (virtually un-edited) Vampire Royal Armor texture ... So ...WTF? ... I have made a pretty big change to the meshes and textures, plus added all new custom textures, so maybe I'll upload it and see what happens ...