ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Does 4k resolution affect Skyrim stability?

Hi guy

Do you know if playing Skyrim and native 4k resolution will affect modding stability? both in LE and SE.

I have always find that a 2k texture pack have a serious impact on mod stability, especially when pair with mod that add new open world space i.e. Beyond Skyrim Bruma, the game basically crash every 10 -15 minutes for no reason. Normal Skyrim world is more stable but still nothing compare to vanila skin (no matter how ugly they are)

Do you know if this same issue can be expected if I game at vanila 4k or even 1440p resolution? Been looking to upgrade monitor for work and media consumption, but I am afraid that gaming Skyrim at higher resolution will affect moddability of the game.

So anyone ever try modding the game at higher resolution? I don't care much about the frame rate but having game crash more often is definitely one of my major concern if that's the case.

It will affect it in the sense that the game will be more strapped for resources (especially LE with its memory limits), so its performance may suffer if your computer is barely able to run the vanilla game in 4K.

I could see there being an issue with scripts and script timing, especially if the FPS fluctuates a lot, which can cause latency and crashes (or worse, slow, hidden corruption).

But if your computer is able to run it in 4K easily, then I don't think it makes much of a difference, if any. Also note that running the game at 4K and having a 4K texture pack are two very different things, and affect the game in different ways. When the game is run at 4K, the textures don't automatically become 4K as well; they are unaffected by the change. To put it simply, running a high resolution texture pack is far more demanding than running the game in a high screen res.