How to put NPCs and items that I created via construction set to places in the game (buildings, chests, etc)

Yes CSE will allow you to use an ESP as a master.

The reason I asked about factions is because of a "solution" I came up with for the bandits that attack the Gates of Madness in the Shivering Isles after you've completed the SI main quest. The are all just standard melee bandits but if you try to talk to one (after I've done my usual "befriending" thing) they will have the "I have no greeting" problem. It was solved in my case by using the console to assign them to the SEWildernessFaction (console formID 42db5).

You could do a test yourself. Use the console to assign your vampire NPC to the Oblivion Vampire Faction (formID 33f53 ... rank 0 should do for a test). The console command will be:

setfactionrank 33f53 0

done while the NPC's refID is displayed at the top of the screen. If they now have dialogue you can use the CS to assign the NPC to that faction (the console command won't "stick" until after you've saved).

- Edit - If the vampire NPC has dialogue after giving them the faction but is now hostile to the player you can solve that by just setting their aggresion to less than 5 in the CS (found on the Packages menu).

- Edit 2 - Also doesn't have to be the vampire faction ... you could pick a faction that is friendly to the player. Just be aware that some factions are used by the game to control which dialogue topics are available to an NPC (e.g. the Bravil faction doesn't have the dialogue "The prettiest town in Cyrodiil ... don't know but the ugliest is Bravil" but other town factions do have that dialogue available).

Edited by Striker879

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason I asked about factions is because of a "solution" I came up with for the bandits that attack the Gates of Madness in the Shivering Isles after you've completed the SI main quest. The are all just standard melee bandits but if you try to talk to one (after I've done my usual "befriending" thing) they will have the "I have no greeting" problem. It was solved in my case by using the console to assign them to the SEWildernessFaction (console formID 42db5).

You could do a test yourself. Use the console to assign your vampire NPC to the Oblivion Vampire Faction (formID 33f53 ... rank 0 should do for a test). The console command will be:

setfactionrank 33f53 0

done while the NPC's refID is displayed at the top of the screen. If they now have dialogue you can use the CS to assign the NPC to that faction (the console command won't "stick" until after you've saved).

- Edit - If the vampire NPC has dialogue after giving them the faction but is now hostile to the player you can solve that by just setting their aggresion to less than 5 in the CS (found on the Packages menu).

Ok, thank you, I will try the vampire solution.

As for the CSE, I have a problem. Whenever I try to run the launchCSE I get a message that says "Couldnt find TESConstructionSet.exe. Make sure you are running this from the same folder as your Oblivion.exe". But I am running it from the same folder.

Can't really say for sure as I've never used CSE myself. I do know that it doesn't work if you have your game installed in the default Program Files (x86) folder.

Then make sure you have given the proper permissions to the files mentioned in Construction Set Extender_readme.rtf Install section.

- Edit - Also it's looking for TESConstructionSet.exe not Oblivion.exe ... make sure you have the vanilla Construction Set installed before CSE.

Edited by Striker879

setfactionrank 33f53 0

- Edit 2 - Also doesn't have to be the vampire faction ... you could pick a faction that is friendly to the player. Just be aware that some factions are used by the game to control which dialogue topics are available to an NPC (e.g. the Bravil faction doesn't have the dialogue "The prettiest town in Cyrodiil ... don't know but the ugliest is Bravil" but other town factions do have that dialogue available).

I tried it and it doesnt't work.

Can't say much more then ... I'm no expert on dialogue. There are a lot of variables to the dialogue system and I've barely scratched the surface myself. I know that the vanilla vampires have dialogue because I use a mod to make followers out of NPCs and I use it to move the vampires to cells I want to "store" them in.

When you created this vampire NPC did you start from an existing NPC and then create a new formID from that existing NPC or did you start out from scratch?

You should probably start a new topic for this issue as it may not get noticed by any of those who know about such things while it's buried in this topic.

Can't say much more then ... I'm no expert on dialogue. There are a lot of variables to the dialogue system and I've barely scratched the surface myself. I know that the vanilla vampires have dialogue because I use a mod to make followers out of NPCs and I use it to move the vampires to cells I want to "store" them in.

When you created this vampire NPC did you start from an existing NPC and then create a new formID from that existing NPC or did you start out from scratch?

You should probably start a new topic for this issue as it may not get noticed by any of those who know about such things while it's buried in this topic.

I will probably start a new topic.

Before that, let me just say that, in order to create the new NPC, I right-clicked and chose "New".

As for the dialogue, I noticed that, contrary to the rest of my NPCs, who have words in the "Dualogue" box, the vampire NPC has absolutely nothing. As for the rest of the NPCs I did nothing to add in their dialogue box...

I'm a bit of a lazy sort ... I've always started from an existing NPC and then changed the face to suit my needs. Looks like maybe that has resulted in me not learning certain things. I wonder if it could be due to a race difference or something?

I'm a bit of a lazy sort ... I've always started from an existing NPC and then changed the face to suit my needs. Looks like maybe that has resulted in me not learning certain things. I wonder if it could be due to a race difference or something?

I don't know about the race. The thing is, the Vampire is only of imperial race,not Redguard, not Nord, not Elf, not anything else, besides Imperial.