Are there any games you would recommend for me?

Aegrus

I recently realized that all of my most-played games have several things in common. Here's my list, in no particular order. . . (I know they're not all pc games, but I'm looking for a new pc game. . .)

Monster Hunter Freedom: Unite

Minecraft

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition

Drakan: The Ancient's Gates

Medal of Honor: Airborne

The Killing Floor

Shadow of the Colossus

Little Big Planet 2

Star Wars: Battlefront

Dragon's Dogma

Mount and Blade

Demon's Souls

Flow

All of them either have open worlds or open maps- none are linear.

All of them give you complete control over your character. Be it climbing, jumping, jetpacking, kicking, parachuting, rolling- or some combination of them- they all give you a wide range of motion and abilities. Basically, they mimic the types of things you could do in real life.

All of them reward exploration- few of them have objective markers, but the ones that did, I always tried to disable for realism.

I have neglected the level-ups in every game I've ever played, even the rpgs, instead focusing on better strategies to help me win. (Thus, I'm not fond of games with hit chances and no dodging.)

Several of them have large bosses that you can climb on.

My question is: are there any pc games that you think I'd like, based on the above list? And is there a genre that most of these fit into? (So I know what to search for, in the future.)

Edited by Aegrus

Guild Wars 2. You'll love it. And don't just say it's an MMO either-it's more story based than any MMO I've ever played, feeling more like an RPGMMO than an MMORPG. Character customisation is fantastic, there's a multi-choice story that follows a plot based on your character customisation descisions, and the combat is pretty great. Fab graphics, no subscription fees or pay to win and a Nexus guild with yours truly in it seal the deal IMO.

For something similar to MineCraft, try Terraria. Great game IMO

http://www.terraria.org/

Played for many many hours. There's no quests or anything, but there are several bosses you can fight after you craft the particular item to summon them. There's grapples, double jump, wings, and rocket boots you can craft to move around the world. If you choose a large map, the underground is pretty big. I don't think there's a demo on Steam, but check out some gameplay videos, I think you would like it a lot :)

Hmm. . . yeah, I was looking at Guild Wars 2 a while back. Three questions-

1. Is there a hit chance? Meaning basically, if I'm across a room from a guy, can he swing his sword and hit me if he's targeting me or something?

2. When it eventually goes offline, will I ever be able to play it again? I know I wouldn't be able to play with other people, but does some kind of single player remain? Ordinarily, I'd assume no, but it seems a bit different from most MMO's. Story heavy, for one. (Which is good, IMO), and you pay a flat fee for the disk, no monthly fees.

3. Is there necromancy? Because I've been looking for a game that has some darker magic elements to it. I'm a bit tired of the whole "golden hero in shining armor beats the crafty villain to death with his enormous balls" cliche. :biggrin:

Edited by Aegrus

1. Is there a hit chance? Meaning basically, if I'm across a room from a guy, can he swing his sword and hit me if he's targeting me or something?

no. youre either close enough to hit or youre not. however you can evade and stuff. some enemies can evade, but not many, at least not at the lower levels (up to level 22 is as high as ive gotten) its more like, a particular enemy has the special ability "Evade" so only that enemy type actually evades. anyways, no there is no hit chance.

2. When it eventually goes offline, will I ever be able to play it again? I know I wouldn't be able to play with other people, but does some kind of single player remain? Ordinarily, I'd assume no, but it seems a bit different from most MMO's. Story heavy, for one. (Which is good, IMO), and you pay a flat fee for the disk, no monthly fees.

this i cant answer, but i doubt it. its still an MMO, heavy story or not, and as such it requires servers since its always online. so no servers probably means no game. however i would bet that would be a long time from now in any case. GW1 is still up and running and thats 7 years running.

3. Is there necromancy? Because I've been looking for a game that has some darker magic elements to it. I'm a bit tired of the whole "golden hero in shining armor beats the crafty villain to death with his enormous balls" cliche. :biggrin:

well there is a necromancer class, but its not exactly dark and brooding or anything. while you can craft your story to a degree and play your toon however you want, the overall feeling of the game is that you are a hero and this is your story.

Have you tried any of the Elder Scroll series?

Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim. They were all fun, but for some reason I just couldn't get into them. I never really felt excited exploring Tamriel after the first 40 or so hours in each.

That's pretty interesting. They have some of the best open world-ness in a game. Perhaps it was the bland landscapes or dungeons/ruins or something. Mods helped me with that though. :biggrin:

The Witcher2 is semi-open world. I tried it but just couldn't get into it when the new one came in. When my HDD crashed, I just didn't even bother re-installing it. although, I did keep my save file... just in case.

Edited by lonewolf_kai

I'm guessing you like exploration in the sense of a viable reason to go there instead of just being there to explore, such as gathering materials in Minecraft, getting to the goal in many of the other games you've named, or fighting a boss unique to that area - And, again guessing here, you don't care much for setting your own accomplishments just to say that you've done it, so as a result you end up not having as much as fun with games like Skyrim or Oblivion, where you don't want to find that everywhere feels the same and offers the same thing.

I'd say something like Borderlands might be your thing, or Torchlight, or the new sequels to either series. Both have that exploration element while some of it is required to win the game. You might also try Fallout 3, and while it still works on the same formula, it feels like exploration has more reason (survival) compared to the later TES games.

Edited by ziitch