Are there any games you would recommend for me?

Aegrus

I'd say something like Borderlands might be your thing, or Torchlight, or the new sequels to either series. Both have that exploration element while some of it is required to win the game. You might also try Fallout 3, and while it still works on the same formula, it feels like exploration has more reason (survival) compared to the later TES games.

that and there are some really cool Easter Eggs when you explore. from references to other games or real life events, to back ground as to what happened in that area before the war to little things like for example, there was a car on a cliff in FO3 with two skeletons and an empty bottle of whiskey, implying the two in the car were watching the bombs go off. small things like that fascinate me in the world of fallout. or youll read a computer about someone locking themselves in a room, then youll find that room with skeletons.

my favorite easter egg is there is the National Guard Base and to enter it you have to find like 5 codes, each one with a letter attached. one of the letters states that while they were in the bunker, the father kept going out to forage for food. when you find the bunker its full of skeletons and a Glowing One Ghoul implying that when the father went out he kept getting hit with small doses of radiation and eventually turned into a Ghoul, and that he (or the radiation he was letting in when he went out) killed the rest of the family in the bunker.

again small things like that in FO3 always amazed me, and i felt that stuff like that was lacking in FONV, one of a few reasons i wasnt a fan of it.

Just Cause 2 is a really fun open world game. You can go anywhere in its map whenever you want (except during some missions) and the amount of land, sea and air vehicles will keep you busy for a while. The graphics are great and the game also has quite a few funny secrets.

(From what you said in your description it would lead me to believe you have played this game as jumping, parachuting and jetpacking (with DLC) are all part of the game :laugh: )

The downside is that the story is bad beyond what words can describe and unbelievably short, and that the game itself is as reliable as a Zimbabwean railway network.

Um, what? JC2's story was created in the same light as a cheesy action movie, so they definitely nailed for what they were aiming for - It's not supposed to be taken seriously. Also, the game is actually quite stable, and how it handles the game's scale is really impressive. The only bugs I've noticed here and there are some that deal with spawning (soldiers getting spawned in buildings and shooting through the walls, the rare occurrence of a helicopter crashing on its own) or a physics glitch or two, which are exaggerated or underplayed to achieve that action movie feel - The grappling hook itself ignores a lot of physics logic in order to be more useful in situations.

Vindekarr... Either you come into games with expectations that are completely wrong for what it tries to achieve, or you have a botched hardware setup or have changed hardware settings that don't make you think they would cause problems. I shouldn't have to tell you that sometimes having no expectations for a game might make it more enjoyable, or that an overclocked computer can cause problems due to components working past their recommended speeds and loads.

Edited by ziitch

I found the performance of Just Cause 2 to be great. I have never had it crash and the crossfire scaling almost perfect. Yes, the story is both bad and cheesy but that isn't why I play it. I enjoy a lighthearted game where you can go around a great looking map blowing things up and driving at high speeds and ignore gravity. I have somewhere around 60ish hours on the game currently and am not even close to the ending so the replay value is definitely there, not to mention it currently costs less than $15 without a sale.

You definitely has the right idea about the games story mode though ziitch :laugh: . If Aegrus does look into it he will have to be prepared to view the story like a cheesy action movie.

I'm guessing you like exploration in the sense of a viable reason to go there instead of just being there to explore, such as gathering materials in Minecraft, getting to the goal in many of the other games you've named, or fighting a boss unique to that area - And, again guessing here, you don't care much for setting your own accomplishments just to say that you've done it, so as a result you end up not having as much as fun with games like Skyrim or Oblivion, where you don't want to find that everywhere feels the same and offers the same thing.

I'd say something like Borderlands might be your thing, or Torchlight, or the new sequels to either series. Both have that exploration element while some of it is required to win the game. You might also try Fallout 3, and while it still works on the same formula, it feels like exploration has more reason (survival) compared to the later TES games.

I'd say that's probably a good assessment. As much as I like the idea of really open world games, I just don't know if true, unrestrained open world is my thing.

-You were definitely correct in recommending Fallout 3 and Borderlands. I have them both, Fo3 almost made it on this list, and Borderlands would have, if it hadn't just completely slipped my mind until you mentioned it. I think I finished Borderlands completionist like 5 times. . . :thumbsup: 500+ hours into it. . .

Borderlands 2, I'm going to buy at some point, but I'm waiting for the price to drop a bit. I'll have to look into Torchlight 1 and 2.

Edited by Aegrus

I found the performance of Just Cause 2 to be great. I have never had it crash and the crossfire scaling almost perfect. Yes, the story is both bad and cheesy but that isn't why I play it. I enjoy a lighthearted game where you can go around a great looking map blowing things up and driving at high speeds and ignore gravity. I have somewhere around 60ish hours on the game currently and am not even close to the ending so the replay value is definitely there, not to mention it currently costs less than $15 without a sale.

You definitely has the right idea about the games story mode though ziitch :laugh: . If Aegrus does look into it he will have to be prepared to view the story like a cheesy action movie.

It's a great game, the performance and looks are very impressive as well, I don't think I ever had a crash either. It can be modded too which is always nice.

I'd say that's probably a good assessment. As much as I like the idea of really open world games, I just don't know if true, unrestrained open world is my thing.

-You were definitely correct in recommending Fallout 3 and Borderlands. I have them both, Fo3 almost made it on this list, and Borderlands would have, if it hadn't just completely slipped my mind until you mentioned it. I think I finished Borderlands completionist like 5 times. . . :thumbsup: 500+ hours into it. . .

Borderlands 2, I'm going to buy at some point, but I'm waiting for the price to drop a bit. I'll have to look into Torchlight 1 and 2.

Just thought of another... Take a look at the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series, more or less the Shadow of Chernobyl or Call of Pripyat. They also carry that feeling of survival and purpose, and make you weigh the risk and reward on exploring certain locations and possibly killing certain characters.