Modpatcher

dreadylein

I'm sorry, but could anyone provide the steps to patch the game using this tool for a complete noob such as myself?

What I don't understand is how to get from an edited DefaultGameCore.ini which you can get by using any old text editor, to a DefaultGameCore.mod, which this tool seems to require.

Edited by Mandurang

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There has to be an easier way to edit DefaultGameCore variables. Lengthy strings without line breaks and typography ergonomics is making my eyestrain grow more eyestrain.

Oh I can certainly do it alright. I just wish I could do it without my eyes rebelling and my headache worsening.

EDIT: Is there a wiki with all the variables listed so that I dont have to risk potentially breaking something?

Edited by LoneHP

Can I ask, why does the exe modded with modpatcher try and communicate out to IP address 65.118.245.165 (inw165pr.hdpi.com) on port 80 ? Is there something suspicious going on here?

[0027.91] DevHTTP: FHttpDownload resolve complete to: 65.118.245.165:80

It's a known fact that the game calls home to that IP address.

You can see it in your log files.

Edited by Daemonjax

Can I ask, why does the exe modded with modpatcher try and communicate out to IP address 65.118.245.165 (inw165pr.hdpi.com) on port 80 ? Is there something suspicious going on here?

[0027.91] DevHTTP: FHttpDownload resolve complete to: 65.118.245.165:80

It's a known fact that the game calls home to that IP address.

You can see it in your log files.

Ok, sorry I'm one of the few mortals who didn't know that. I can seen now from Launch.log that its talking to prod.xcom.firaxis.com. Reverse IP resolver is rubbish. Just strange that my Comodo firewall notices this only with modded exe and not standard one. I don't even have any rules at all for this XcomGame.exe.

Thanks for clarifying.

Has anyone else just had modpatcher stop working for them? I've been happily tweaking the .ini for days but about an hour ago my game suddenly decided to only use vanilla settings for everything.

At first I thought that I had made some sort of serious error in my .ini so I validated my install through steam and started with a new .ini. Even changing one small, easily checked setting (added an extra small item slot to kevlar armor) will no longer work for me. None of the ini mods on XCOM nexus work for me now either and they all used to be fine.

I'm starting to think that there has been a small XCOM patch or something.

Or... does anyone still have .ini tweaks through modpatcher working at the moment?

Dito.

I had assumed User Error so I manually restored the EXE backup that I kept in addition to the one that Modpatcher creates.

Then I used the default DefaultGameCore.mod to enter a single, visible change.

Does not take effect any more.

EDIT:

Correction.

It does work. The EXE is patched correctly and the changes are there.

What happens is that the Call Home now takes precedence over the local data in the EXE.

If you prevent the EXE from calling home, the modded changes take effect.

EDIT EDIT:

Setting Steam to offline mode also works. (What does that have to do with anything?)

Set Steam back to online mode... back to vanilla XCOM.

I tried it twice. Didn't believe it...

Just to clarify: Steam does not re-download the EXE.

The Steam online/offline mode has an effect on XCOM "calling home" or using the local data in the EXE.

Edited by Gazzzz