Difference between modtype "dinput" and "enb"?

osoerk

I really appreciate the feature to install mods(?) to the game base folder(not the data folder). Other than SKSE or ENB, there are many mods which should be installed in the game base folder and it is far easier to manage them through a mod manager.

Vortex can do that with the mod types dinput and enb. Both install mods to the game base folder, but...I couldn't find any difference between the two. I have installed enb with modtype dinput for testing purpose and it just works, SKSE with modtype enb as well.

Are there any differences?

Effectively they are the same.

Originally I thought that at some point it may be useful to know which is which so we can attach additional logic to the mod type, e.g. a check to determine if the mod is actually a complete enb, whether it's up-to-date, that kind of stuff. But in practice nothing made it in so far, doesn't seem overly useful either.

Thianks for the answer. Then just mod types "data"(default) and "root" would be sufficient. I think more mod types for each specific mod(enb, dinput, etc.) would limit its functionality, unless you add all the mod types for the mods for which manual installaion is needed.

In addition to that, a column for the mod type or an icon in the content column indicating the mod type "root" may be helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Then again, if you kept the ENB field, it would allow you future, for instance to have a separate menu item called 'ENB Settings (alongside Mods and Plugins).

Would allow people to switch between difference ENBs simply (enable one, disable the other).

I know you can do this already, but having a separate tab feels right with the rest of the Vortex design philosophy (Plugin tab for ESPs, Mod tab for textures, BSAs, meshes...). In theory you could do it with tools as well allowing for easy updates.

Vortex can do that with the mod types dinput and enb. Both install mods to the game base folder, but...I couldn't find any difference between the two. I have installed enb with modtype dinput for testing purpose and it just works, SKSE with modtype enb as well.

I didn't know that Vortex would do this! How is this done in practice? Download but not install, double click on the mod entry and choose modtype, then install?

Is this info that can be placed in a fomod?

You install the mod as usual, then double click its name and in the sidebar you can toggle the mod type.

Unfortunately it's not currently possible to set the mod type from fomod.

Also, with this kind of mods you may want to review whether the files get installed/deployed correctly.

With "regular" mods Vortex can usually figure out where files are supposed to go even if the mod has been packaged weirdly, e.g. we know that .esp files go to the top-level of the data directory) but with enbs you get a bunch of ini and dll files and for all Vortex knows they could be skse plugins.

You install the mod as usual, then double click its name and in the sidebar you can toggle the mod type.

Does that then (hopefully) move files to the root of the game folder?

Yes, after the "Script" folder adjustment made prior to installation. (This is described in the Vortex knowledge base.)

Yes, after the "Script" folder adjustment made prior to installation. (This is described in the Vortex knowledge base.)

I just used this awesomeness to install skse64 direct by dropping the 7z file into Vortex, installing but not enabling, selecting 'enb' type then installing, voila!

Needed this because for some reason I could find no way to launch without skse, no matter what exe is used, launcher, skyrimse.exe etc all launched skse, which I don't understand. So having a quick way to 'disable' skse really grooves.

diziet

edit: although I would like to know why we have to edit the file structure after unstallation but before enabling, after all the latest skse 7z file has everything in the right arrangement, dlls etc in the root, a data folder in the root, a scripts folder in the 'data' folder. Why do the loader etc go in the game directory but not the data folder itself? Is this because you can't specify the 'dinput' type before installing?