Paladin Danse. Like? Dislike? Please discuss.

StormWolf01

The BoS likes to pretend to lofty goals, but, do they actually help anyone other than themselves? Nope. They charge you with gathering supplies, and they really don't care how you get them. I find them to be arrogant, egotistical, narcissistic pricks, and I take great pleasure in making them dead. Knight Rhys (Rheis??) ticks me off the first time I meet anyone from the BoS, Danse keeps referring to me as "civilian", even though I am a Vet, and probably have just as much, if not more, combat experience than he does...... Does he ask about that? Nope. The only question about my past that ever comes from him is "are you from around here?". That's it. No questioning why a 'civilian' would wade in to a battle where there is essentially one guy (albeit, in power armor....) taking on a couple dozen ghouls. The odds are terrible, yet, the 'civilian' comes in anyway, and does a reasonable job of helping out. (assuming you don't get killed. :) ) Danse just accepts it at face value. Suspicious as he is........ Is this the whole 'don't look a gift horse in the mouth' type of thing?

The BoS likes to pretend to lofty goals, but, do they actually help anyone other than themselves? Nope. They charge you with gathering supplies, and they really don't care how you get them. I find them to be arrogant, egotistical, narcissistic pricks, and I take great pleasure in making them dead. Knight Rhys (Rheis??) ticks me off the first time I meet anyone from the BoS, Danse keeps referring to me as "civilian", even though I am a Vet, and probably have just as much, if not more, combat experience than he does...... Does he ask about that? Nope. The only question about my past that ever comes from him is "are you from around here?". That's it. No questioning why a 'civilian' would wade in to a battle where there is essentially one guy (albeit, in power armor....) taking on a couple dozen ghouls. The odds are terrible, yet, the 'civilian' comes in anyway, and does a reasonable job of helping out. (assuming you don't get killed. :smile: ) Danse just accepts it at face value. Suspicious as he is........ Is this the whole 'don't look a gift horse in the mouth' type of thing?

Ok, so granted, I dunno much about the BoS, other than from FO 4. But to me, it seems like the guy in charge, Maxxon, is to blame for some of their attitude and behavior. I mean, he's a charismatic young leader, with a heroic past, that his troops all look up to and respect. *Cough* Sorta like Hitler *Cough* Sans the heroic past.

As for the "civilian" I just take that as a nickname or callsign that he gives us. The same way Piper calls us "blue".

As for his automatic acceptance of us, theres a couple of things. 1) He's an NPC. He's written to be that way. If we wanted to explain it in game, maybe it's because he respects us as a fighter. Which, some of his dialogues would suggest.

Or maybe it's because he's a synth "sleeper" agent. Maybe he's programmed to side with the Sole Survivor as part of Father's agenda.

The BoS likes to pretend to lofty goals, but, do they actually help anyone other than themselves? Nope.

I wouldn't say that. They indirectly help the people. "They" clear areas of ghouls/super mutants. Which is not easy and very dangerous. Specially a super mutant base. Those super mutants tend to raid settlements, capture people and more evil stuff. So when the BoS clears those dangerous areas, they do the settlers a huge favor.

------------------------------

@Topic

Danse is a good character. I'm missing some depth here and there, but I really enjoyed the storyline so far with him. He is not my favorite companion. (which is Curie) But they did a solid job with him. The voice actor is also superb.

The BoS likes to pretend to lofty goals, but, do they actually help anyone other than themselves? Nope.

I wouldn't say that. They indirectly help the people. "They" clear areas of ghouls/super mutants. Which is not easy and very dangerous. Specially a super mutant base. Those super mutants tend to raid settlements, capture people and more evil stuff. So when the BoS clears those dangerous areas, they do the settlers a huge favor.

------------------------------

@Topic

Danse is a good character. I'm missing some depth here and there, but I really enjoyed the storyline so far with him. He is not my favorite companion. (which is Curie) But they did a solid job with him. The voice actor is also superb.

I agree. His VA is really good. I just don't like his outfit and the way they screwed him over. If you want him as a companion then you also want to join the BoS. They are alligned, but then at the end of the BoS story he can no longer be your companion as they will shoot him on sight. Ugh. Funny thing is though that if you bring Shaun synth to Prydwen they will not attack him but just complain about him. WTF double standards.

The BoS has actually no ill will to the commonwealth. You can see the results after the end of the game they hang out in places like Diamond City and Bunker Hill and people comment on feeling safe and such. It's not that the BoS are evil, they are simply very narrowminded. They will only accept pure humans (aside from raiders and gunners).

I can't remember the exact line, but Danse did say something once in DC that I really, really agreed with.

Something to the effect that it was bad that people lived in a dirty shanty town and considered that to be the height of civilization.

BoS wipes out ghouls/supermutants/raiders for their own reasons. They don't care about settlements. At all. They are a potential source of resources that they don't have any problem taking at gunpoint. The only person that *might* offer them a fair deal is the player. And the player pays for it out of his own pocket...... he doesn't get reimbursed for his expenses. (so far as I know.) BoS wants tech. That's it. Ostensibly they are keeping it from being 'exploited', which I suppose could be a good thing, if the tech is simply designed to kill as many people as possible, as quickly as possible..... But to them, it doesn't matter. The hoard ALL the tech they find, and do nothing for anyone else.

Now, bear in mind, I dislike the BoS considerably, to the point that I have never played thru the BoS ending.... so, they may have some points in their favor by the end of their part of the story, but, so far, I haven't seen/heard about it.

When I play with the BoS I always roleplay that I don't give a sh*t about anyone. That really helps to be able to side with fascists. So you can play as a person who just doesn't care anymore after losing your family. Maybe you don't want to hurt the completely innocents, but everything else is fair game. It's doable. And then the BoS is actually quite enjoyable. And as a plus, you get to wipe out the Railroad AND the Institute as part of the main quest. Bonus!

When I play with the BoS I always roleplay that I don't give a sh*t about anyone. That really helps to be able to side with fascists. So you can play as a person who just doesn't care anymore after losing your family. Maybe you don't want to hurt the completely innocents, but everything else is fair game. It's doable. And then the BoS is actually quite enjoyable. And as a plus, you get to wipe out the Railroad AND the Institute as part of the main quest. Bonus!

I can see how that would work pretty well. :)

Maybe I will give that a shot. I haven't gotten around to killing Kellogg yet, in this playthrough......:D