STEAM and Playing Offline

GrumyOldMan

One thing nobody else has picked up on. The patches are all 200Meg plus.

I did a fresh install recently and the patched version is about 1.2Gig plus larger than the original install and by the time my favourite mods were installed I am now at 12.4 Gig for the game.

So in reality with a modem connection at "44K on a good day" maximum download speed is 3m6s per 1MB.

On a modem just to patch the game would mean a minimum of 1.2Gig = about 1250Meg times 3m 6s fastest possible. The absolute minimum download time just to patch the game is going to be 64h 40m. (3875m)

My modem internet service provider used to cost 1p per Min. So the cost of just the patching the game is £38.75 minimum.

It's true that updating it the first time is going to be a *censored*. It was hard enough on my cable wifi... After 36 hours I got annoyed and plugged the stupid computer into the router. (And finished in about 20 minutes. Doing it wireless was a pretty bad idea, admittedly.) Do you have someone around with a superior connection where you can do the original validation and update?

I just had my first pleasant experience with steam the other day regarding offline mode. My internet was down and I was bummed I wouldn't be able to play any games (since I didn't all ready have it offline mode) but I tried anyway and to my surprise there is now an option when you start up and don't have an internet connection to switch to offline mode. It's about time. I never understood why they made you connect in online mode before being able to switch to offline. I'm pleased they corrected it. Anyone noticed this?

The option to play offline does exist but you need to be online to set it. So it will fail when you need it more, for example if you aren't connected for any reason at the moment.

So, to anyone planning to play in a place without connection is advisable to put it offline while still can. Once it is offline it will nag every new PC boot but will allow to continue offline mode.

All in all, Steam itself invites the user to stay offline all the time he/she is not actively seeking for patches or for any reason other than just playing.

Besides, be aware that a few games seems to enforce Steam to be online. As one example the modded Civilization V, for although allowed me to play the game, simply deleted all my mods. Maybe I did something wrong, I was just pissed when it happened and have not played the game since.

Edited by nosisab

The option to play offline does exist but you need to be online to set it. So it will fail when you need it more, for example if you aren't connected for any reason at the moment.

So, to anyone planning to play in a place without connection is advisable to put it offline while still can. Once it is offline it will nag every new PC boot but will allow to continue offline mode.

All in all, Steam itself invites the user to stay offline all the time he/she is not actively seeking for patches or for any reason other than just playing.

Besides, be aware that a few games seems to enforce Steam to be online. As one example the modded Civilization V, for although allowed me to play the game, simply deleted all my mods. Maybe I did something wrong, I was just pissed when it happened and have not played the game since.

What I was saying was I think they fixed that. Last time I had no connection and started it up it presented me with the option to switch to offline mode.

Edit: Just tested this again and it works. You don't have to sign in online before switching to offline anymore. If you don't have a connection a dialogue box will pop up and it will ask if you want to start in offline mode. I'm so glad they finally did somethhing about this.

Edited by thompsonar

• 2 weeks later...

<shaking head deliriously> I'm glad I came back here to read some posts before I went high and to the right with Steam. I choked after buying the disc and running the install. Steam loaded and then the next thing I see is a screen saying I have 5,752 megabytes to down load. Seemed like there were no game files on the DVD. My mind is boggled by the concept that there are 5.7+ gigs of patches for the game. I noticed that the game is under warranty for 90 days. The warranty will expire before I can download the 5.7+ gigs of files and can "activate" the game. I cannot for the life of me fathom why they don't install the game as it comes on the disk, activate it and then let one down load the patches later. It would make the installation tolerable if they did that.

Please, oh pretty please, don't tell me that the downloading process starts at the very beginning if I can't complete it all at one time. It said the downloads would resume automatically but I have been downloading "something" for 2 days now and it has stayed on 0 bytes of 5219 megabytes remaining for the last two days. I know I have downloaded at least 150 megabytes in that two day period.

I have no idea how fast WiFi is but it has to be faster than a 56k modem. I'm going to go down to Starbucks in the morning, log onto the WiFi they have, drink a cup of coffee and see how much progress I make. There is no personal information on the computer, I don't cruise the internet with it and I don't even have it configured to send or receive any email via my ISP.

Joe Viera

Glendale, AZ

The data is on the DVD but sometimes Steam decides it wants to download the entire game. Go here for instructions on what to do so you don't have to go through this, plus lots of extra tips and info about Steam and how to use it. :)

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1258133-installing-from-disc-instead-of-steam/