Asking me to upgrade for every single file downloaded ?

Angahran

When did this change to the site go in ?

Now, every single time I go to download a file it asks me if I want the free/slow download or the fast/premium download.

I even tried to buy premium but for some reason they do not accept prepaid visa cards for payment.

Can we get an option to stop getting bugged every single time ?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I... don't think it's a bug. It's an incentive (albeit an ill willed one in my opinion) for users to purchase the premium service.

I understand the need to keep the servers running (having contributed myself in the past), but I don't believe adding a web page reload and a timer to every download is the best way to spread the message.

Please reconsider.

Yeah, it's a bit overkill to have a ton of buttons, but i suppose as more mods get added, it's understandable that they need to make money because the server space is going to need to get bigger bigger.

Before, they were just hosting files for a few games, but now they're hosting files for all the games and they have staff to pay. I'm sure they discussed the best ways to try and get more premium members. Maybe they'll add more features to it to entice more people to get on board.

All things considered, clicking a few extra buttons isn't that bad. They could do something really bad like take away certain features from Supporters and make them premium only for example.

It's more than just annoying.

This is exactly the same kind of screens that people see on 3rd party file hosts, that have been around since before "the cloud". Sites, that are largely, primarily used, for illegal, pirated material. Rapidgator, rapidshare, keep2share, mega, etc. While I'm not saying that those sites aren't used for perfectly legitimate reasons, it is fact that they're used for illegal ones too. So why does a very strict, zero tolerance site for piracy, now look exactly like a site that is used for piracy.

Give them a feel they're used to, it'll encourage them to think this is a pirate site too!

Not to mention, that per some of the other threads, there's issues with downloading through some of the mod managers.

This is insanity, and it makes me want to stop using Nexus period. Ran into this today and first off, it confused the hell out of me when a simple texture replacement mod that listed zero requirements gave me a pop-up message saying;

Additional files required

This mod requires one or more additional files in order to work properly.

Please ensure you have these files installed properly before attempting to use this file.

That is misleading af, because no, the file I was downloading did not require an additional file, it just required me to click through to the 'slow or fast' download page.

Secondly, this is insanity. I love this site, have used it for years, and would dearly like to continue using it for more years to come, but if I'm going to get this pop-up and reroute to load a whole different webpage every single time I go to download a single file.... It's just not worth it. It was annoying and frustrating just to download two files from this one mod, having to reload the same Files page multiple times because it rerouted me to another page for each individual file. (Which, really, kind of defeats the purpose of having a single files page with all the files on it, if you're going to route me away from that single page and make me have to go back to it multiple times.) But if it's that frustrating, annoying, and redundant when I'm downloading a single mod.... How bad is it going to be on days when I'm modding a game from scratch, and will likely be downloading dozens or more mods at once?

I'm a supporter of Nexus for a reason, because I understand that there needs to be money incoming to help keep Nexus going. I have absolutely no problem with the download cap and other restrictions of being a non-premium member. But I can't afford to be a premium user all the time, because I'm disabled and have been jobless for over three years now as I fight to get what (very little, very little) disability benefits I qualify for in order to survive. I don't need it shoved in my face every damn time I download a file that I'm not a premium member and that that option is available to me.

Edited by BeneathThePlass

OK, so this is not a bug.

If this is the new way the site is going to operate, why do I still have the option to have a pop up box instead?

This is ridiculous. It actually makes me want to get Premium less, and I doubt people are going to continue to disable their adblockers on the site.