Move to another computer?

steinbeck

Surely is possible, It happened to me for Steam saw my upgraded computer as new computer and asked confirmation to make the transition. What you can't do (I think) is to have the two machines sharing the same Steam account, once you copy all the Steam folder to the new machine (the easiest way), Steam will remake all the other folders spread across the machine without need to actually download all the games again.

The laptop will lose the ability to log into Steam, of course, unless you revert the whole process.

Edited by nosisab

Surely is possible, It happened to me for Steam saw my upgraded computer as new computer and asked confirmation to make the transition. What you can't do (I think) is to have the two machines sharing the same Steam account, once you copy all the Steam folder to the new machine (the easiest way), Steam will remake all the other folders spread across the machine without need to actually download all the games again.

The laptop will lose the ability to log into Steam, of course, unless you revert the whole process.

found that out! Steam can be a pain at times although I don't really have any complaints in years from it

UM...I use the same Steam account on both machines. You just have to log out on one before you can log in on the other.

Agreed. I have steam on 3 computers, as long as you are signed out, it works. I have to copy steam from time to time, as I tend to reinstall windows a lot. I used to have steam on a external hard drive that I would move between computers, which worked fine as well.

If I'm reinstalling or moving to a new computer, my process is the same. (Keep in mind steam is not on my main hard drive) I simply rename steam to steam2, i reinstall windows(or copy to another computer), I install steam, and let it run its first update(don't log in though), than i just delete the new steam folder and rename the old one back, and as simple as that its my entire old steam install. I cant risk this not working since I have 1TB of games.

I fear the day my HD crashes, all that redownloading, it would take a long time with a internet cap of 160gig a month