The long path to wanting to just play a little Morrowind again.

I use to play mods on Morrowind waaaaaaaaay back in the day. I've been feeling the itch, and so i decided to try and get some updated Morrowind mods. I use to just drop the data in the data folder, textures in the texture folders, meshes in the meshes folder...you get the idea.

I have been having nothing but issues.

I won't bore you with all that i've been going through. Suffice it to say I'm on step 25ish of this journey. Where we are now, and what's brought me to you guys for help is I'm trying to use Mod Organizer 2. I've been playing with it for awhile, but here's where we are.

When open it is says "Could not use configuration setting for game "Morrowind", path C:/Program Files (x86) Bethesda Softworks/ Morrowind

I press OK and choose Morrowind

Failed to start helper application: The system cannot find specified. (0x2)

on the log it says

failed to invoke' open C:/users/Dan/Morrowind Mods/Mod organizer 2/nxmhandler.exe reg Morrowind

after a lot of Trying to find file with no name.

Now, i've looked online, and havent been able to find out exactly what's going on. I have Morrowind installed, but it's original CD. It works fine in its Vanilla form. Tribunal and Bloodmoon are installed. When i go into path in the settings and i try to adjust the managed game it says it's on the morrowind exe. but if i try to choose the .exe it doesn't show up as a file to choose. If i try and observe the .exe file in windows its there in its folder, but not in the MO2 search. I've been at this a long time now, and i think i may be ready to call it quits.

If you made it this far you have my thanks already.

You have to understand that back in the day, there weren't any Mod Mangers for Morrowind, so the Mod were just zipped up without any standards.
Some were zipped up for easy manual install by just extracting the zip file to the game folder, while others were zipped up with several options for esps and you were supposed to just extract the esp you wanted etc.

There's no 'easy way' unfortunately when it comes to the older games like Morrowind and Oblivion, and even up into Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas.

But, you CAN edit the mods you want to install, by a painful process of manually extracting them into a temporary folder, and then repacking them so they will work with modern mod managers.

It's a PITA, but I spent a week or two doing that with the Oblivion Mods I wanted to be able to install "pain-free", by manually extracting them, and repacking them.

I wrote an article here about it, setting up mods with Oblivion.
And yes, I've saved them, backed them up, named them so I know I fixed them, and everything else I can think of, so that if I want to play in the future, I can just restore these mods and install them easily, thanks to the painful task of setting them up beforehand.

Vortex and Oblivion, an experiment

MrRectangle - I'm on the same journey. Played Morrowind when it first came out and decided to have another go but this time via Steam on a Linux box. I've used Vortex to install some carefully chosen mods but I've come to the conclusion that either I manually install (I remember that!) or I play it as it was!!! I have also added a mod at a time, sometimes simply playing the game for a mod which I then remove and return to an earlier save... It's kind of 'pretend' gaming... :laugh:

For Linux there's Open Morrowind but it requires the data files (in other words you have to own the game). I can run that without issue using Steam's version of the game but again - unmodded. I haven't tried messing about with the actual disks - I have no idea what the Linux box will say to that one! I truly admire what HadtoRegister has done but I couldn't do that now... I'm scared about how much life I have left! So I tend to muddle through and hope for the best! :whistling:

A long shot and I know I'm being obvious but... you have gone to the data files on the Morrowind start up menu and made sure things are properly selected there? I've made that mistake!!! Spent ages trying to find a watchman who wasn't actually installed... :wallbash: