Skyrim SE mods deployed, but not active in-game.

Felix3939
Go to solution Solved by shumkar,

Hello, all,

I am running the current (December 2019) version of Vortex and updated Skyrim SE on an updated 64-bit Windows 10 machine. I have been playing with mods for a long time, so I'm a bit embarrassed to need help on this question.

I have recently felt nostalgic and reinstalled Skyrim SE. I installed SKSE64 and Vortex, and began downloading my favorite mods. Vortex sorted everything out nicely, the game launched... and no mods working in-game. If I go into the in-game controls and look at Mods the whole list is there, but none of the mods have any effect.

For the purposes of this question, I've disabled all mods but two, "Alternate Start - Live Another Life" and "No More Creation Club News," so that I will know the mod is working the moment I start a new game.

Both mods are deployed. However, although Creation Club News is gone from the start screen, starting a new game just activates the usual game opener. I've tried with other mods, like "A Quality World Map," where I would be able to tell right away if it was working, and no. The only mod that seems to work is start screen mod.

I have a feeling this will be something small I'm overlooking, but for the life of me I can't figure out what I've missed.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Felix3939

How did you install SKSE64?

Did you manually install it by following the instructions inside the 7z file, or did you try and install it with Vortex?

Manually. I launch the game through SKSE, and SKSE does show up as running in-game.

IZF2I2z.jpg

Edited by Felix3939

• Solution

If I go into the in-game controls and look at Mods the whole list is there, but none of the mods have any effect.

I have a feeling this will be something small I'm overlooking

Something small... The whole list is there, but are there check marks in all check boxes?

Edited by shumkar

Felix3939 - go to the game and launch, choose play, but then choose MODS and Load Order... Don't continue or start a game. If they're ticked then they're active. If not tick 'em and see what happens... If you've tried this then ignore me. I like the obvious, simple solutions first...

I'm pretty certain that the Mod Manager and Bethesda are sharing a single data source. Maybe staff can confirm? It could only mess it up if they weren't. If it's built so that there are two sources of the same data then that isn't good practice. We've had that discussion about coupling elsewhere. In any case he has 2 mods... if they're ticked then the game thinks they're active and something else is causing LAL not to start... If he had a zillion mods then I'd advise against using Bethesda's method as it's sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo annoying...

I'm pretty certain that the Mod Manager and Bethesda are sharing a single data source. Maybe staff can confirm? It could only mess it up if they weren't. If it's built so that there are two sources of the same data then that isn't good practice. We've had that discussion about coupling elsewhere. In any case he has 2 mods... if they're ticked then the game thinks they're active and something else is causing LAL not to start... If he had a zillion mods then I'd advise against using Bethesda's method as it's sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo annoying...

No they're not.

I've mistakenly opened the Mod Menu in Skyrim back when I used to use NMM, and it totally rearranged my load order, because Bethesda isn't using the same PLUGIN.TXT

I've mistakenly opened the Mod Menu in Skyrim back when I used to use NMM, and it totally rearranged my load order, because Bethesda isn't using the same PLUGIN.TXT

In that topic - https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/8320153-nmm-vortex-crossover/ - a Staff representative gave, imho, an exhaustive answer to this question.

Is it possible, that, in your case, Bethesda was using another instance of plugins.txt, not the one used by NMM, as it was in my case?

There must be more then one instance of plugins.txt on Windows; you might check it with the file search. E.g.:

C:\Users\$NAME\AppData\Local\Skyrim Special Edition\plugins.txt

C:\Users\$NAME\AppData\Roaming\Vortex\skyrimse\profiles\$RANDOM_LETTERS\plugins.txt

(As soupdragon1234 said in that topic, there may be also an instance from Steam...)

Edited by shumkar