Very confused here....

Meridias561

I may be just misremembering this, but hopefully someone could help me out.

When I was playing Oldrim, I could have swore the chests located at the homesteads (Lakeview specifically since that's the only one I bought) were linked to the workbenchs so that, if you put the mats in the chest you could build the house parts without having to pull the stuff into your inventory each time. Also, at the time I tried briefly making a mod like the dozens of others using the hearthfire system and there was even a tutorial for the CK that showed how to set up the chest/bench link.

I'm now playing SSE and just got to the point where I'm starting Lakeview and noticed the chest and bench weren't linked. Am I just losing my mind or did they take that out because I've tried googling it and I can't even find a reference to being able to do it in oldrim. Little help please?

Never played any of the Fallout games, and it wasn't a mod in the way of any sort of database. It was just a little "when checking if you have the mats, check in this chest too in addition to the player's inventory" kind of thing. Oh well.

Oh, I just meant that all RPG storage records are in a database of sorts, from a coding standpoint. And they never had a shared/universal one. That would have been great, but everything related to inventory was a hassle in the original game. They couldn't even be bothered to put smelters in all cities, making you travel from Solitude to Whiterun to make ingots. Adding convenient time saving features like shared inventory probably didn't cross their minds when they were already brutalizing players in other ways. :tongue:

Edited by kthompsen

I have played both xbox and pc unmodded and modded and have always had to have the materials on me to build. But I think that that one chest by the bench linked to the building menu would be an excellent mod and it really should have been in vanilla game Fallout 4 style.

Reinstalled Oldrim and a few of the mods I've had (thank you history on steam and nexus). Didn't have any mods that added/modified Hearthfire or Lakeview itself and sped through til I could buy it. Checked the chest and workbench and no, no link between them. So either I totally just misremembered, I had made a minor mod to do it, or it was there at some point and got removed (who knows, it could happen. it IS bethesda). Anyway, thanks everybody. Now I'll go and try to figure out what the hell I WAS thinking of.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to say this, but if you're wanting to kinda speed the game up, and not have to go scavenging for all that stuff.... Get the codes and use player.additem <code> <#>.

Some might consider that cheating. And it is. But for me, it's a single player game, and the game takes long enough imho. I try not to use that alot, but for ingots and such, I just don't have the time all the time to go scavenging for all that. I've not used that usually on nails, and things for building the hearthfire homes cause they can be easily bought.. But I do do it for ingots for smithing... Me waits for the backlash! ;)

Lol, what backlash? There are multiple mods for doing that using a spell. AddItem comes to mind immediately, although that one only returns singular items. (But I just saw a mod advertised on nexus a few weeks ago that allows qtys of ten or more)