Need a reliable Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini and settings info

zyg0tic

I only used digitaltrucker's ini files to see how well it run it, and I changed the settings so it matched my own GPU. After doing that I had a better idea about the changes/tweaks I needed to make to a fresh set of ini files.

Since the jumping/falling animals is gone thanks to FPS limit 45 and iPresentInterval=1, Im now just left with infrequent load stutter. The FPS does dip below 45 with lots of activity on screen.

The popup and lack of detail in far away things is still there and still annoying. Id prefer uGrids=7, but like I said the problems with that makes me reluctant to do so. And given that Im doing my testing in Whiterun grasslands its more noticeable due to lack of trees, fog and snow to hide distant landscape.

Im also using Razer Game Booster, which shuts down many background processes. But its effect on performance seems insignificant.

I dont have hyperthreading enabled on my CPU. I was thinking about disabling core parking, but that seems like a desperate measure and unnecessary.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason that these strange things are happening is based on the game engine, not your hardware. Despite how people tweak things, the game engine was just designed for uGridsToLoad=5. Try this mod: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/12866. This is almost visually identical to 7 grids and is better performance. The Game booster is a waste of time in my opinion. On any modern powerful processor no background things should harm your performance really. I run rainmeter, deskscapes, windowfx, objectdock, jaangle, and bittorrent with all sorts of transparencies and animations in the background. This has no effect on my FPS at all. I have an i7 3770k OC'ed to 4.0 Ghz til my new cooler gets in tomorrow, then it is up to 4.8Ghz. I would strongly recommend staying away from ASIS, as it does not play well with other spawns, even in a bashed patch. Because of how the engine "emulates" AI in distant areas and whatnot the engine itself is what is hanging. Just like a copy with 1,000,000 tiny files takes much longer than copying a solid file like a .rar of the same size.

I have tried ASIS, Warzones, Monster Mod IS, and Monster Wars in all sorts of combinations. I honestly would recommend Monster Mod with its increased spawn plugins in combination with Monster Wars. This has virtually zero crashes for me. Search "distant" in mods and 4 or 5 mods come up which greatly improve LOD.

Note: I added the dynamic loading lines and the threaded whatnot to my .ini. I noticed no FPS change but hangs on LOD load and whatnot are much less common and residual slowdown is put off. I have about 90 large mods installed adding a huge amount of content. Gradual slowdowns are inevitable but restarting my game every hour or so is no problem for me personally.

I understand the strong desire to have a populous skyrim but I urge you to try just monster mod and monster wars. I think you'll find it a nice balance. I was hesitant but the lack of hangs really was nice, and I still experience frequent enemy encounters.

Edited by Xescream

Turns out the problem had mostly to do with the tweaks used to reduce Z-fighting (the flickering distant mountains). I've had to settle with only increasing fNeardistance and fSkyCellRefFadeDistance, because increasing the others causes stutter. All my other settings are ultra or higher, and the game runs fairly smooth and looks okay (I haven't settled on an ENB or lighting mod yet, because I'm recording and I want potential viewers to actually be able to see things at night).

Also, I used a really good website called Skyrim CFG Maker that spits out a custom pair of ini files. It had some features to do with memory allocation and preload, and implementing them helped too.

http://online-source.net/tools/cfg-makers/skyrim-cfg-maker/

Hey guys I am running a Acer Aspire 5252 laptop AMD PhenomII N970 Quad-core processor 2.20 ghz with 3.74GB(useable) Ram and I am trying to find something that will keep my graphics at low quality performance, but have good effects. For example I REALLY want to have fire that looks great, and isn't invisible in a lot of places. I also noticed that spider webs that have to be cut are also invisible. Before my hardrive crashed months ago I had an ENB serries that worked perfect for that but I cant find that particular one anymore.

My PC auto selects medium graphics but its pretty laggy. so If there is anything that will increase my FPS on medium that works too. Also is there just a specific line in the ini file that will give me better fire?

Hey guys I am running a Acer Aspire 5252 laptop AMD PhenomII N970 Quad-core processor 2.20 ghz with 3.74GB(useable) Ram and I am trying to find something that will keep my graphics at low quality performance, but have good effects. For example I REALLY want to have fire that looks great, and isn't invisible in a lot of places. I also noticed that spider webs that have to be cut are also invisible. Before my hardrive crashed months ago I had an ENB serries that worked perfect for that but I cant find that particular one anymore.

My PC auto selects medium graphics but its pretty laggy. so If there is anything that will increase my FPS on medium that works too. Also is there just a specific line in the ini file that will give me better fire?

With a PC/laptop like that, I don't think any sort of quality setting should be considered as feasible. I've used dsktop PCs for gaming all my life and the idea of 3d gaming on a laptop just seems silly to me... I'd just play 2d games, or non-intensive things like turn based strategy.

There is no ini setting that changes fire as far as I know.

What you could do is save a game near a spider web and another near a fire. Use Skyrim CFG Maker which i linked and start with all the lowest settings, except try to get it to make use of your available memory, and you will need to look at your default SkyrimPrefs.ini for the 3ddevice entry and screen resolution. Tweak that til you get proper looking fire and visible spider webs AND decent performance. Shadows are pretty intensive, so you might want to lower their quality or disable them - lowering shadow distance will make them look nicer at close range and improve performance.

• 5 months later...

go to your The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim folder and create a shortcut for the TESV.exe and put that shortcut on your desktop

then download NMM and use that to verify that your mods are active in the load list and only use the shortcut to TESV.exe to start Skyrim

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I have a question how can I change the volume of weapon impacts please, do you know what this means:
[AudioMenu]
fAudioMasterVolume=1.0000
fVal7=1.0000
uID7=0
fVal6=1.0000
uID6=0
fVal5=1.0000
uID5=0
fVal4=1.0000
uID4=0
fVal3=1.0000
uID3=94881