PC upgrade questions (Graphics Card really)

caseydavidson

I built my PC in 2012, and it's honestly been amazing. The only thing I've had go wrong was my storage HD which was swapped out without a problem. I bought my Razor deathadder mouse in 2009, and it still works like a charm too.

However, the biggest limiting factor I'm starting to have is my Graphics Card, though I probably need to upgrade my ram as well. I really don't game that much anymore, mostly I just play DOTA 2, for which this rig is more than sufficient. However, I wouldn't mind playing a few of the newer games with decent performance. This is my current rig, but different monitor and an extra 256gb SSD.

In general, I'm interested in peoples opinions of the graphics card market. I'm not looking to play at anything over 1080p and I do not expect to be doing anything with VR in the near future. I also really don't want to spend a huge amount of money. I'm in NZ, so I expect this to cost a stupid amount, but what are the best low-mid range vid cards these days? Is AMD or Nvidia better? Is compatibility with Mobo an issue? I'm hoping for something to tide me over the next 2-3 years at least, as I'll probably do a full new build then.

The most demanding game I'll play on this will be Squadron 42, so I'll almost certainly need to upgrade my ram when that comes out, but what about my CPU? I don't think I've run into a CPU bottleneck yet, but I also haven't really pushed it for quite some time. What are my limitations around there?

Start with telling us what you have now, please...

But you should look at either an AMD RX 5600/5700 or NVidia RTX2060/2070. They're all built according the ATX norm so they fit on whatever motherboard you have or will get.

Personally Ill be sticking clear of any cards to do with AMD... AMD is trying, but Nvidia is winning hands down... which card tho... well we all can agree on that the video card ( graphics card) is the heat and sole when it comes to a gaming rig... My advice is ( Im in Australia-so I know all about prices...)I would go for a 2070super- this will allow you to get a AAA game if anyone does pop up that takes you fancy, and if you step form DOTA 2 to a more up to date first person online, this card will have your back!!! its a great card to play just about any game in 1080p or 1440p!!!

Edited by tiggertoe

Personally Ill be sticking clear of any cards to do with AMD... AMD is trying, but Nvidia is winning hands down...()...

What's that all about amigo? So, because NVidia is "winning" (winning what?) you shouldn't look at AMD? AMD are the kings of the mid-tier GPU, beating every single mid-tier NVidia card. Besides that, all depends at what resolution you play and if you cap your fps or not. Because, at 60fps you wont see the difference between an AMD RX 580 or an NVidia RTX 2080ti. And you seem to know zilch about prices.

AMD shares are up according to news, do to Ryzen Success story, has money to spare while Nvidia is solely GPU manufacturer, so amd does more then just one product vs Nvidia. With the stocks soaring success with ryzen AMD can make cheaper and more affordable video cards in the long run. I like both manufacturers, although raw Horsepower is my gaming ticket.

Who would you choose.

Edited by niphilim222