⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Hard Drive help

I just got a new HP Pavilion but it didn't come with a hard drive and it well take a week or two before I get one from HP so can I take 1 TB hard drive out of my 1 year old hp and put it in my new computer it would be nice if I could .

If the enclosure of the new PC has room for an extra HD, there's no problem with adding any hard drive. Even if the new HD has an operating system on it. Sadly, most brand computers (especially HP) don't have any space inside the case for an extra hard drive. They don't want you to add stuff that isn't coming from them, you see.

When there's room for the HD, then it could be the power cables from the power supply don't have a free sata power feed and you'll have to get a splitter that forks off of a molex (four pins power connector) to connect the HD. Worst case scenario is that the motherboard doesn't have an extra sata connection for the data cable. But that would be a bit too much.

If the necessary cable connections are present but there's no HD cage to put the drive in (which I suspect) then you can still add the drive, just let it hang loose. Put it on a mat of some sorts, preferably something that doesn't generate static.

A computer that didn't come with a harddrive??? How does that happen?

Win 10 is fairly forgiving about swapping hardware...... and it may even pick up the embedded license in the new pc.... Assuming they are both the same version of 10.... (home/pro)

Well just got off the phone with hp the HP Pavilion gaming desktop doesn't come with a 1TB SSD so Im boxing it up and sending it back mybe I'll batter luck with the SkyTech ?

You're better off with buying the separate pieces and case and assemble the lot yourself. Maybe more expensive than what you'd pay for a pre-built PC, but you'd know what you get without the hassle of getting computers that aren't complete and then hearing they won't send you a 1TB SSD because 'the model isn't shipped with it'... Ask your money back and send HP walking.