Skyrim Terrible FPS

Treym1996

Well I've messed around for a couple of days with it and did a few tweaks and it seems to have worked itself out. One small problem left though. Ok, so I have almost no lag houses, cities, or in the open world, but when I go into a cave or dungeon I get random fps drops. (3 seconds smooth, 1 second freeze, repeat endlessly) Its more of a minor annoyance now because I am happy that most of my lag is over with but I'd like to know if there is anything I can do about it. Why not try to improve something if it can be improved? :)

Yeah... good ol Skyrim lag, I had it all up and running for a while and all was fine (on Medium) but I just stopped playing Steam stuff altogether and left Skyrim alone for a while, when I tried it a month ago Steam reset all my video settings and that kinda threw a spanner in the works, I got it sorted then steam updated and I am now suffering interminable lag on the road from Whiterun to (think) Velthium towers but it's fine everywhere else. though I have had CTD's where I'm happily playing the game then all of a sudden I'm not... it simply vanishes without a word... H'mmm nice desktop

my vid card is a lowish end GT220 1 gig... and no I ain't changin it so I can play a game.

ATTK is a powerful tool ... set wrong it can be a bad thing.

Some computers just can't handle some things being tweaked.

You will find ATTK has a wide range of options. Some testing

is required to get the most out of it per system. I have 12 computers

and most of them use different settings. It's all about the rig.

Here is a link to my troubleshooting blog.

http://s1.zetaboards.com/bbenlibrary/topic/4751769/1/#new

This is updated often so come back later for more.

If you use any of this and have some success - or even if nothing works - please post back here what you did that worked or didn't work. That kind of information can be invaluable to other members having the same or similar problems - And to me in fixing any problems in the blog.

Skyrim is a special beast in the sense it is both graphic intensive as much as CPU intensive also. That fall in FPS may be due to graphic enhancer mods or mods with complex scripting.

Former TES games had most performance hits at world maps except maybe at the Imperial city in Oblivion, Skyrim changes it making the world map a breeze compared to the cities, mainly for weaker CPUs. The first step to solve your problem is identifying what is bottlenecking the system more. Texture enhancer mods are the first suspects (starting by the official one) but bigger mods introducing many NPCs should be looked upon also.

Solutions may pass for having to avoid demanding mods till the machine is upgraded,

PS: I want to add that is "normal" having Skyrim running around 30-40 FPS on the wild and falling to a craw when entering cities, sometimes at special points in the cities. On my system the FPS is kept clampled at 60FPS almost all the time in almost all places with some greater exceptions, for example at the main Whiterun gate or at the Dragonreach looking at the market place. Another demanding place is Riften, in all these places the same system can hardly keep above 35-40 FPS and is not a graphic problem in my case (two 560 in SLI) the CPU is my bottleneck there. Just to compare that rig of mine is able to play Metro 2033 at high specs with FPS almost constant around 60 (clamped) but can't keep the same pace in Skyrim cites :/

Edited by nosisab

I run 71 mods and have my graphics all maxed out save for anisotropic filtering which I've turned off in Skyrim and turned on in my graphics driver. I've got an Athalon 2 x4 620 2.6ghz and 8gb of ram. My video card is a GTX560 and I am on 64 bit Win7.

I'm far from running a killer system but it runs smooth as can be for me, I have all the HD texture files I can find on the nexus pretty much. There are some tweaking guides out there for altering your ini to maximize graphics and performance, those I've read and followed. I don't run ATTK as I don't have any lag issues. Brief flicks of lag in a couple places (the approach to Whiterun for example) but it's less than a seconds worth.

Ram, graphics card, windows version are the only things I can see that would be majorly significant. I know it runs smoothly though because, well, like I said. Mine does great.

attk skse is doing what it take few second to do by yourself with task manager^^

anyway, you're using :

Dawnguard.esm

Hearthfire.esm

HelmetToggleMasterFile.esm

DspSob.esp.....this can be a problem only if you are usin Cbbe or Unp body, you need a custom skeleton, but if the problem occur in fight scene it may be relevant

1nivWICCloaks.esp...this one alone, with WiC you must use only one.esp, you install3 , but use..only one, uncheck the other

1nivWICSkyCloaksPatch.esp.......this is only necessary if you use "cloak of skyrim" also if not you must have only one .esp

Lightweight Potions and Poisons.esp

Lawrens RNG Guards.esp

UniqueTaverns.esp

Crimson Tide -Blood.esp problem only with vampire side for a few users

whiterun bug fixes.esp

Whiterun Repaired Plus.esp

@@

WRONG! ... Setting the priority is just one option in ATTK.

But I love your 15 second analogy vs my Masters Degree ...

Edited by Jason2112

Skyrim is known to decay in time. The best way to fight this is to use your console command PCB every so often. As this will clear up unwanted quest and/or malformed data from the saves.

A PBC should be a part of Skyrim's saves automatically ...

Edited by Jason2112